Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

Android Controllers and Players outside the Playstore

Hi,
    I am aware of the multitude of Apps available through Google but I have not arrived at an App that I can install on a Google free Tablet.
    I guess you can simply create a shortcut on the desktop and point this to the IP-address of your LMS. But what about a player?
    Wasn't there once an official Logitech App? Where has it gone? It should be available through their homepage?
    DSM 6.2 (Synology Disk Station 115) running LMS 7.9.1 -- RPI with a Hifiberry DAC+ running PiCorePlayer (any old version?) -- Nokia Lumia running Windows Phone 8.1 and Soundicity -- <s>Moto G Peregrine xt1039 running CM 14 (Android 7.1.2)</s> -- <s>Zettaly Avy running Android 4.4.4</s> -- Squeeze CTRL App

Squeezer is open-source, but is not on f-droid due to (I think) google anayltics support. If you're OK with building an android app, you could checkout its source and remove these requirements - can't image it'd be that hard. Alternatively you can use my Material skin - which is what I use on my Android device. This requires no app, but is best used with the Kiwi browser.

As for players, I could not find any open-source android squeezelite builds. I had thought about trying to make a squeezelite build for android, but decided to just buy SB Player instead.

Quote Originally Posted by cpd73 View Post
    Squeezer is open-source, but is not on f-droid due to (I think) google anayltics support. If you're OK with building an android app, you could checkout its source and remove these requirements - can't image it'd be that hard. Alternatively you can use my Material skin - which is what I use on my Android device. This requires no app, but is best used with the Kiwi browser.

As for players, I could not find any open-source android squeezelite builds. I had thought about trying to make a squeezelite build for android, but decided to just buy SB Player instead.
    +1 for SB Player - only a few ú/$ - coupled with Material in app mode
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Hi and thanks for replying.
    Maybe I should clarify. I have zero problems to pay for apps, I am more than willing to honour good work in this way. However I usually do not have google tablets or phones and so they don't have the play store installed. This excludes for me pretty much every android app.
    I know Squeeze Player and think it is working fine but I cannot use it.
    While it is no player I am impressed by the material skin which is very good looking and responsive on Vivaldi for Android.
    DSM 6.2 (Synology Disk Station 115) running LMS 7.9.1 -- RPI with a Hifiberry DAC+ running PiCorePlayer (any old version?) -- Nokia Lumia running Windows Phone 8.1 and Soundicity -- <s>Moto G Peregrine xt1039 running CM 14 (Android 7.1.2)</s> -- <s>Zettaly Avy running Android 4.4.4</s> -- Squeeze CTRL App

You're probably already aware of these options, but I hope there's some value in mentioning them here for people who find this thread in future uses.

In the absence of a dedicated LMS player that you can install on an Android device, there are two options that may (or may not) be useful:

1. use any player capable of playing internet streams to play an mp3 stream from LMS. The process is described here (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Remote_streaming). This was originally promoted as a way to listen to your home music library from other locations. This is strongly discouraged now, hence the dire warnings on that page. However, I am not aware of any reasons not to use this on your own network, as long as you do not open it up to outside access. And I trust that if I'm overlooking something, someone will point it out.

2. install the UPnP/DLNA bridge plugin, and install a client on your Android device. The only one I see on F-Droid is Yaacc. Others may be available elsewhere.

Unfortunately, neither of these options will allow you to synchronize the Android device with other players.

I hope this is helpful... to someone, some time!
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

Quote Originally Posted by streifenleopard View Post
    Hi and thanks for replying.
    Maybe I should clarify. I have zero problems to pay for apps, I am more than willing to honour good work in this way. However I usually do not have google tablets or phones and so they don't have the play store installed. This excludes for me pretty much every android app.
    I know Squeeze Player and think it is working fine but I cannot use it.
    While it is no player I am impressed by the material skin which is very good looking and responsive on Vivaldi for Android.

You could contact Angry Goat who wrote SB Player and see if he will let you pay and download it by some other means.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng