Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5

    Squeezeplug SD card image for a SheevaPlug

    Hi everyone, new to forum but long time user of all things Squeezebox. I have a Transporter and a Squeezebox running on LMS through a now ancient but still perfectly serviceable SheevaPlug developer version. I use an SD card to boot it which contains a boot image with Squeezeplug on it designed by the wonderful Thomas, who went on to set up Max Play.

    Anyway my problem is that after ten years or so, my poor little SD card has bitten the dust and will no longer boot the SheevaPlug - therefore my plug won't run LMS, therefore no music. I've hunted everywhere for a copy of the image Thomas provided back in the day, but can't find one, I didn't keep a copy and his website now only supports Raspberry Pi and above.

    Does anyone have or know where I can find an image I can burn onto a new SD card to get my beloved SheevaPlug running LMS again?

    Many thanks

    Colin

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    3,166
    I'm not sure if this helpful

    https://www.max2play.com/en/download/13224/

    ronnie

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    3,824
    Quote Originally Posted by cespiner View Post
    Hi everyone, new to forum but long time user of all things Squeezebox. I have a Transporter and a Squeezebox running on LMS through a now ancient but still perfectly serviceable SheevaPlug developer version. I use an SD card to boot it which contains a boot image with Squeezeplug on it designed by the wonderful Thomas, who went on to set up Max Play.

    Anyway my problem is that after ten years or so, my poor little SD card has bitten the dust and will no longer boot the SheevaPlug - therefore my plug won't run LMS, therefore no music. I've hunted everywhere for a copy of the image Thomas provided back in the day, but can't find one, I didn't keep a copy and his website now only supports Raspberry Pi and above.

    Does anyone have or know where I can find an image I can burn onto a new SD card to get my beloved SheevaPlug running LMS again?

    Many thanks

    Colin
    I have a copy of sp_dsgf_406.zip that I used on my Seagate GoFlex Net. If that is what you need let me know and I will post a dropbox link.

    Edit. I think this is for Dockstar and not Sheevaplug. Thomas did post links for the old images 5 years ago but those links are dead now.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post771934
    Last edited by slartibartfast; 2020-01-01 at 04:50.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    I'm not sure if this helpful

    https://www.max2play.com/en/download/13224/

    ronnie
    Thanks Ronnie, I'm pretty sure this is a Raspberry Pi image, which unfortunately don't work on the Sheeva Plug...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I have a copy of sp_dsgf_406.zip that I used on my Seagate GoFlex Net. If that is what you need let me know and I will post a dropbox link.

    Edit. I think this is for Dockstar and not Sheevaplug. Thomas did post links for the old images 5 years ago but those links are dead now.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post771934
    Hi there, yes Dockstar is separate again, I think I need the Sheevaplug version. What a shame those links from Thomas don't work any more. Is there any other way to run LMS on a Sheevaplug or should I give in and go buy a more supported plug like the Pi?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    3,824
    Quote Originally Posted by cespiner View Post
    Hi there, yes Dockstar is separate again, I think I need the Sheevaplug version. What a shame those links from Thomas don't work any more. Is there any other way to run LMS on a Sheevaplug or should I give in and go buy a more supported plug like the Pi?
    I found this
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...newbie-success
    but it might be better to buy a Pi. I went from GoFlex Net to Odroid U3 and then to a Pi when the Odroid blew an onboard SMD fuse.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    18,239
    Quote Originally Posted by cespiner View Post
    Hi there, yes Dockstar is separate again, I think I need the Sheevaplug version. What a shame those links from Thomas don't work any more. Is there any other way to run LMS on a Sheevaplug or should I give in and go buy a more supported plug like the Pi?
    I suspect if you get an update version of Debian running on the Sheevaplug - then LMS would be a straightforward install. However Getting Sheevaplug up to fdate may be the hard bit - may need a uboot update as well.
    https://tadeubento.com/2018/sheevapl...pgrade-u-boot/
    https://tadeubento.com/2018/sheevapl...nstall-debian/

    Beware - need to check dates to see if problem with uboott are resolved https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=897671

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5
    Thanks all for the helpful advice and the comments. I think that given the fact that it appears Thomas's original image for the SheevaPlug has been lost in the mists of time, the fact that I'm no Linux expert, and that it probably wouldn't hurt to have a slightly more user-friendly user interface, I should probably just order a slice of Pi. The series 3 should do the trick by the looks, and I think I'll also purchase the external power supply and a fresh SD card. It looks as if Thomas is still writing images for the Pi at Max2Play, so I'll download one of those and hopefully I will get my music back! I am assuming that Tidal Hi Fi is still supported, either natively via LMS or via a plug in.

    Will let you know how I get on

    Thanks

    Colin

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by cespiner View Post
    I should probably just order a slice of Pi. The series 3 should do the trick by the looks
    Get a Pi4 with a FLIRC case (ú16 from CPC). The case looks great, and acts as a heatsink. This is what I've been using with my Pi4 4GB for the last few months, and I have not heat issues, etc.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by cpd73 View Post
    Get a Pi4 with a FLIRC case (ú16 from CPC). The case looks great, and acts as a heatsink. This is what I've been using with my Pi4 4GB for the last few months, and I have not heat issues, etc.
    Thanks for the tip. Does the Pi4 work ok with the Max2Play software do you know? I see it's listed as in beta still. https://www.max2play.com/en/max2play-image/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •