Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

System recently unstable - needs frequent restart

First my equipment:

I have all my music on a WD Nas Server that also runs the Media Server software.
    The clients are two Squeezebox Duet (player + controller combo) and one Squeezebox radio.

The problem is that I recently will have to restart the server very frequently. (Unplug power to Nas, wait 30 seconds and then re-connect power). Sometimes this does not help either so I will have to do same for one or more of the Duet players.

Previously only time I have had to restart server has been after a power outage since the media server needs to start a little while after the router has connected to the internet in order for the clock to be OK.

The version of the server software is 7.6.1.

While I belive that there is a newer version available (have to figure out how to do all the settings on the NAS in case I need to install) I cannot really understand why the problem occurs in the first place since nothing in the setup has changed and it has been running just fine for years.
    Squeezebox Duet Yamaha 5.1 Rcvr Dali Zensor 7 + Zensor Vokal, Squeezebox Radio, (2nd) Squeezebox Duet Technics Rcvr B&O S45 Speakers. Zyxel NAS326 w 4 Tb Toshiba N300 drive.

Hi,

There's a lot that could be going on here so very difficult to diagnose with limited information but some suggestions:

1) Did you try restarting the server manually (CLI, GUI tool?) instead of power cycling? Are you able to monitor HW resource utilisation/general health on the NAS? Can you reach LMS with a web browser when things are not working? (maybe the problem is with your clients, sorry, I know nothing about them).

2) Is it possible some additional SW is now running on your NAS creating a resource shortfall for the LMS? Or perhaps simply running out of storage space?

3) I don't know your NAS, I ran LMS on an entry level synology unit for several years, the interface was always sluggish (but streamed fine which is all I cared about) due to low HW resources, at some point a synology SW update destroyed the performance and sometimes the LMS would require a restart in order to function. I now run LMS on a raspberry pi and am really happy with this as a platform.

Good luck!
    Main room: Transporter -> ifi tube 2 -> Denon AVR 4306 -> Kef iq9
    Kitchen/living room: Pi 1B+ HifiBerry Digi+ -> Cambridge Audio Dacmagic -> audiolab 8000 -> B&W 685
    Late night listening: Touch -> Little Dot Dac_1 -> Little Dot mk3 headphone amp
    Office: IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ -> JBL bookshelves
    Bedroom: squeezebox radio
    IQaudIO Pi-DAC Pro Pi 3B+ currently hosting LMS, Pi 4 LMS and NAS

Quote Originally Posted by leadears View Post
    Hi,

There's a lot that could be going on here so very difficult to diagnose with limited information but some suggestions:

1) Did you try restarting the server manually (CLI, GUI tool?) instead of power cycling? Are you able to monitor HW resource utilisation/general health on the NAS? Can you reach LMS with a web browser when things are not working? (maybe the problem is with your clients, sorry, I know nothing about them).

2) Is it possible some additional SW is now running on your NAS creating a resource shortfall for the LMS? Or perhaps simply running out of storage space?

3) I don't know your NAS, I ran LMS on an entry level synology unit for several years, the interface was always sluggish (but streamed fine which is all I cared about) due to low HW resources, at some point a synology SW update destroyed the performance and sometimes the LMS would require a restart in order to function. I now run LMS on a raspberry pi and am really happy with this as a platform.

Good luck!
    4) You could also check your wifi health, signal drops etc could also be causing this.
    Main room: Transporter -> ifi tube 2 -> Denon AVR 4306 -> Kef iq9
    Kitchen/living room: Pi 1B+ HifiBerry Digi+ -> Cambridge Audio Dacmagic -> audiolab 8000 -> B&W 685
    Late night listening: Touch -> Little Dot Dac_1 -> Little Dot mk3 headphone amp
    Office: IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ -> JBL bookshelves
    Bedroom: squeezebox radio
    IQaudIO Pi-DAC Pro Pi 3B+ currently hosting LMS, Pi 4 LMS and NAS

Quote Originally Posted by leadears View Post
    4) You could also check your wifi health, signal drops etc could also be causing this.
    Download a wifi analyzer onto your phone and check for channel congestion, or try switching your router to another channel (1, 6, or 11).

Reason may be found

I found something rather unsettling in that when the media server misbehaves i cannot access other folders on the WD Nas drive.

It seems as if the entire thing has hung up.

This is bad - especially since I use the WD for its automatic backup feature as well as a music server.

I saw that there may be an update available for the WD and may try to apply that. As for the media server software I will stick to the version I have as it has functioned brilliantly until the NAS started acting up.

My Wifi is strong throughout the house.

Will post more...

(Would hate to try and get another NAS capable of running LMS but would apreciate advice on suitable models!)

/Ake/
    Squeezebox Duet Yamaha 5.1 Rcvr Dali Zensor 7 + Zensor Vokal, Squeezebox Radio, (2nd) Squeezebox Duet Technics Rcvr B&O S45 Speakers. Zyxel NAS326 w 4 Tb Toshiba N300 drive.

Solved!

The WD Nas I have used for years was slowly but surely going down the tubes. I replaced it with a Zyxel 326 NAS that installed the Logitech Media Server with the greatest ease and now hey presto! Everything is well again.

I will probably go shopping for more Squeezebox gear soon.