Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    My main QNAP is a TS419Pro - an ages old ARM based 4 disk box and certainly not capable lof running a modern version of LMS but I haven't asked it to for years. I think 5 years +.
    I am running a qnap ts-119p ii aka arm 2.0ghz 512mb. arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int
    It is not running qnap firmware and instead is running vanilla Debian 10.3.

I'm pretty sure LMS packages only support arm with hardware float support(eg Pi's) , while my CPU is software floating point. That is why I must compile my own cpan modules.
    It runs LMS 8.0 completely fine with no noticable lag.
    I have a bunch of plugins such as Google music and YouTube working fine on it also.
    I think it compiles the cpan modules without tests in about 20minutes from memory.

Your 419p is 1.2ghz. I am sure LMS would be usable but laggy.

I ran squeezeserver 6.x from memory on a ts-209 aka arm 500mhz 128mb many many years ago.
    It was very laggy but usable.
    Last edited by bits; 2020-02-13 at 07:56.

what about docker?

Wouldt it work to run a docker image on thoose synology boxes that supports this?

Like:
    https://hub.docker.com/r/jgoerzen/logitech-media-server

BR
    Kasper

Quote Originally Posted by bits View Post
    I am running a qnap ts-119p ii aka arm 2.0ghz 512mb. arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int
    It is not running qnap firmware and instead is running vanilla Debian 10.3.

I'm pretty sure LMS packages only support arm with hardware float support(eg Pi's) , while my CPU is software floating point. That is why I must compile my own cpan modules.
    It runs LMS 8.0 completely fine with no noticable lag.
    I have a bunch of plugins such as Google music and YouTube working fine on it also.
    I think it compiles the cpan modules without tests in about 20minutes from memory.

Your 419p is 1.2ghz. I am sure LMS would be usable but laggy.

I ran squeezeserver 6.x from memory on a ts-209 aka arm 500mhz 128mb many many years ago.
    It was very laggy but usable.
    I’ve also got a TS109p. It was my first LMS server - 7.6 from memory. It was very laggy.
    The TS419p also started life with 7.6 and was supported by QNAP to 7.7.2 iirc. It was very laggy.
    After moving to the TS419p I have kept my music there ever since but have had a number of different LMS machines with NFS mounts to the QNAP. I have found this by far the easiest way to move onwards and upwards.
    I think I am correct in saying that LMS is single threaded (apart from when scanning etc) but the “best” performance I have had so far is using a Quad Core HP Microserver with 8gb ram but crucially with the OS and LMS library etc on an SSD. Files still on the ancient QNAP recently updated to 4 x 2tb. It started with 4 x 250gb!
    A Pi4 with 4gb RAM is also performing quite well as a dev LMS v8 with NFS mount but I instinctively don’t like the database being on SD.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Publish via SynoCommunity?

If Synology is no longer willing to maintain/publish the packages (ugh!), and assuming that there are folks in our community with sufficient skill/interest to build Synology-compatible packages, perhaps they can be published/distributed via SynoCommunity (https://synocommunity.com/)?

Quote Originally Posted by jonstahl View Post
    If Synology is no longer willing to maintain/publish the packages (ugh!), and assuming that there are folks in our community with sufficient skill/interest to build Synology-compatible packages, perhaps they can be published/distributed via SynoCommunity (https://synocommunity.com/)?
    I have already a repo up and running for some time. Currently there is only 1 package available in the Package Center, LmsRepack-x86_64-8.0.0-1582191382.spk. This is an LMS 8.0.0 version for x86_64 nas. If you have a version of LMS running on your nas you have to stop that first, before installing Lmsrepack.

To be honest, I'm not that optimistic about the continuation of LMS on Synology in the long run. But hey, its not dead yet.
    -DS718+, RPI 2 (Spotifyd/myMPD/Squeezelite),Aune S6 - Exposure 3010S2 - PMC FB1i-s
    -LmsRepack + LmsUpdate - Updated and Cleaned up Logitech Media Server 8.0.0 for Synology.

LMS will be discontinued on Synology - Docker

Quote Originally Posted by jvromans@squirrel.nl View Post
    On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 17:03:32 +0000, cfuttrup
    <cfuttrup.9e1f4n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> I 'complained' in the Synology forum and the response is here:
    > https://community.synology.com/enu/f...8?reply=417377
    > ... that they recommend to use Docker.
    >
    > Is this a viable way forward?

Docker is for limited architectures only, and requires substantial
    resources. A 2GB DS418 runs LSM nucely but will die when you mention docker.

I think the best option is a 4GB RPi4.
    I have a DS412+ and have been running LMS and Docker for years with no major problem. Admittedly its not very responsive but it is by no means down on its knees. I have 4gb of ram in place but in reality the CPU is the critical item. Does a DS418 really have that much problem running Docker I am looking to upgrade to a moderner more powerful unit but not necessarily Synology as the CPU's seem to lack power at an affordable price. Xpenology seems an interesting option but only if I can continue to run LMS.

When you mention RPi4 is this in tandem with the Synology unit using the latter as a server for music library.

jvromans@squirrel.nl

LMS will be discontinued on Synology

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 11:37:06 +0000, jakalad
    <jakalad.9ep2pc (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> Does a DS418 really have that much problem running Docker

Docker requires an Intel CPU. The DS418 cannot run Docker at all.

LMS on the DS418, even though lightly loaded, can take up to 20 seconds for
    its initial response, heavily confusing clients like SqueezeCenter.

Response of LMS on the RPi4 is almost instanteneously. Rebuilding the
    database is a much slower since it accesses the music files via NFS (30
    minutes versus 3 minutes on the DS418). But this runs in the middle of the
    night so it is no problem for me.

> When you mention RPi4 is this in tandem with the Synology unit using the
    > latter as a server for music library.

I've already moved most services from the DS418 to the RPi. This
    includes DNS, LMS, DAViCal, PostgreSQL and local application servers for
    music, photos and videos. So the Synology is basically getting reduced to a
    file server.

I find most Synology applications too slow to be useful, at least on the 413
    and 418. And very inflexible (closed source software). For example,
    uploading 100 pictures to PhotoStation takes hours. Synology cancelled
    uploading from Linux.

There are extension boards for RPi4 where you can plug SSD and SATA disks
    in, so my next NAS will probably no longer be a Synology.

-- Johan

Nice!

Ah, nice, I will check that out! I'm curious why you are not so optimistic? (Not disagreeing, just curious to hear more about why.)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdot View Post
    I have already a repo up and running for some time. Currently there is only 1 package available in the Package Center, LmsRepack-x86_64-8.0.0-1582191382.spk. This is an LMS 8.0.0 version for x86_64 nas. If you have a version of LMS running on your nas you have to stop that first, before installing Lmsrepack.

To be honest, I'm not that optimistic about the continuation of LMS on Synology in the long run. But hey, its not dead yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdot View Post
    If the 'Running of LMS' on Synology does go away, what would be next choice? Running LMS on a Stand Alone Rpi or ???.
    Last edited by Cut-Throat; 2020-02-24 at 11:43.

jvromans@squirrel.nl

LMS will be discontinued on Synology

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 18:33:06 +0000, Cut-Throat
    <Cut-Throat.9ergmn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> If the 'Running of LMS' on Synology does go away, what would be next
    > choice? Running LMS on a Stand Alone Rpi or ???.

Yes. See my other postings in this thread.