Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by jvromans@squirrel.nl View Post

Maybe most important is that you can actually build LMS for the RPi and
    noone is building LMS for Synology.

-- Johan
    I did say... DS218+ is Docker capable NAS,
    So yeah Michael support official docker image.. ;p
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaca View Post
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=1015999
    Here is info about downgrade.. I personally would not see it as pernament solution but seems some people are willing to run outdated Dsm just to keep LMS going..
    Honestly I would dare doubt that the upgraded operating system offers anything interesting to existing users and possibly the only issue will be to stop the NAS from upgrading again.

LMS will be discontinued on Synology

> Honestly I would dare doubt that the upgraded operating system offers
    > anything interesting to existing users and possibly the only issue will
    > be to stop the NAS from upgrading again.

Security updates should be interesting to anyone running such a system,
    no matter the experience level.

Just in case you(or others) are not aware DS218+ is quite recent, fairly powerful and docker capable NAS allowing to run LMS after official and pinkdot package discontinuation. There is really no need for another device especially when you are likely to keep your music on NAS anyway. Perhaps more sensible purpose for raspberry pi would be as a additional player with help of USB or hat DAC. Either also using pCP or other system (with possibly other/ dual function like media centre etc). Of course you can use RPi with pCP as player and server same time if you prefer. I just do not see how 1GB RPi would give you better LMS performance then Ds218+ (2-8GB device).. If it was RPi 4 then I could perhaps understand personal preference but with 3b+ I have to question decision to ditch DS218+
    Hi,

How can you make dual use of RPI3/4 as media center and picore player? Something like changing sd card depending of the use?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post

Yeah this alone is probably most important reason for any system like Michael said, but I'm also looking forward to dsm7. Especially new hybrid of photo station and moments along others. Tbh I do use quite few synology software offerings and find them not quite there in terms of development so any updates are really welcome.

Saying all that I'm actually tempted to compare ds218+ LMS performance with RPi 3b+ to double check my assumptions, although my NAS ram been updated to 6GB so I doubt RPi will perform better..
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Quote Originally Posted by tobal2 View Post
    Hi,

How can you make dual use of RPI3/4 as media center and picore player? Something like changing sd card depending of the use?

Thanks

Well picoreplayer is actually system which uses squeezelite to emulate squeezebox player. Pcp is excellent and runs from ram so is superior to other sd card os but you can in fact install squeezelite on almost any other raspberry pi os. BTW No need to change sd card, that would not be practical

In terms of dual use as media centre you can use Osmc, LibreElec or OpenElec (I'm sure there will be more) which are basically Kodi or xbmc..

I used to use osmc and now libreelec with squeezelite in form of squeezebox for kodi addon.

Tbh if you have android tv you can install kodi directly on tv which probably is better idea.. I don't have android tv so I still use libreelec
    Last edited by Jaca; 2021-03-25 at 07:27.

Well picoreplayer is actually system which uses squeezelite to emulate squeezebox player. Pcp is excellent and runs from ram so is superior to other sd card os but you can in fact install squeezelite on almost any other raspberry pi os. BTW No need to change sd card, that would not be practical

In terms of dual use as media centre you can use Osmc, LibreElec or OpenElec (I'm sure there will be more) which are basically Kodi or xbmc..

I used to use osmc and now libreelec with squeezelite in form of squeezebox for kodi addon.

Tbh if you have android tv you can install kodi directly on tv which probably is better idea.. I don't have android tv so I still use libreelec
    Perfect.
    You are totally rigth, I was thinking in terms of pCp rather than squeezelite.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post

Why?

You're not likely to run a device like that in any public network and no security update has ever stopped an authorized user from running software he shouldn't have. The added value of a security update for a non-portable device is at most psychological.

Quote Originally Posted by jvromans@squirrel.nl View Post
    On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 12:05:51 +0000, Jaca wrote:

> https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=1015999

I think it should be possible to include the perl 5.24 binaries in the LMS
    kit as private binaries/libs.

Anyone tried that?
    I might be slow in trying it, but to me that is a more elegant solution than running LMS from a Docker image.
    At first glance there are 10 Perl scripts in /@appstore/SqueezeCenter, and after closer inspection there are 20 or so files that call a Perl executable with a #! reference to #!/usr/bin/perl or #!/usr/local/bin/perl

I think it should be doable, only now I have to find out how to copy my existing Perl installation and making it work independently of any symbolic links that will be used by the official Synology Perl package once I update that.