Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    You still have to run the rest of those instructions since, probably, the LMS package was not downloaded and installed before.
    Did you do that?
    What is the output, any errors?

It does not do any harm to run the whole thing from start again.

Correction: you have to run some of the preceding commands again since they prepare the environment for the installation, so you cannot just run parts of it after 'a while'.
    So to be sure, start from the top.
    Last edited by Rnee; 2019-12-15 at 16:07. Reason: added correction
    pCP v5.0.0 on all players
    LMS 7.9.2 on Debian Buster server in a Linux Container
    RPi 3B+ with Hifiberry AMP2 and official 7" touchscreen (Squeezelite + Jivelite), +27k titles on SMB share
    RPi B as dedicated player, connected over wifi with USB dongle
    RPi 2B as dedicated player, connected over powerline
    RPi Zero W as dedicated player
    Squeezer on Android to control

Quote Originally Posted by 1uke_ View Post
    How come I didn't need to build any binaries when putting Logitech Media Server on my old Ubuntu system?
    In order to use a pre-build (~= binary) package, your combination of perl version and hardware platform needs to be supported.
    In your case, this would be perl 5.28 on 32 bit Intel. However, as Michael pointed out, this combination isn't supported. If you check this (format: <perl version>/<platform>), you'll notice that the last version with support for 32 bit is for perl 5.26 (which is the reason it worked on your old system).
    Trying to install the deb package on your current system is therefore futile, as LMS will not run even if installed.
    Your options are therefore:
    - switch to a 64 bit OS if your CPU is capable of running one
    - use perl <= 5.26
    - build the binaries yourself (This page should give you an idea of what this entails, although you'd only need to follow a part of the howto)
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Thank you for sticking with me and helping me with this
    Sorry for misleading you, I have missed the x32 part which changes the game completely.
    pCP v5.0.0 on all players
    LMS 7.9.2 on Debian Buster server in a Linux Container
    RPi 3B+ with Hifiberry AMP2 and official 7" touchscreen (Squeezelite + Jivelite), +27k titles on SMB share
    RPi B as dedicated player, connected over wifi with USB dongle
    RPi 2B as dedicated player, connected over powerline
    RPi Zero W as dedicated player
    Squeezer on Android to control

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    In order to use a pre-build (~= binary) package, your combination of perl version and hardware platform needs to be supported.
    In your case, this would be perl 5.28 on 32 bit Intel. However, as Michael pointed out, this combination isn't supported. If you check this (format: <perl version>/<platform>), you'll notice that the last version with support for 32 bit is for perl 5.26 (which is the reason it worked on your old system).
    Trying to install the deb package on your current system is therefore futile, as LMS will not run even if installed.
    Your options are therefore:
    - switch to a 64 bit OS if your CPU is capable of running one
    - use perl <= 5.26
    - build the binaries yourself (This page should give you an idea of what this entails, although you'd only need to follow a part of the howto)
    Hello Roland0,

Thank you for your thorough reply. I appreciate you helping me understand what the current issue is.

To solve this, can you tell me is it possible for me to install perl 5.26 on my current system?

If it is could you tell me how to do this please?

If I can get perl 5.26 installed on my system can I then run the .deb file to get logitech media server running?

Thank you for your help
    Last edited by 1uke_; 2019-12-16 at 11:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnee View Post
    Sorry for misleading you, I have missed the x32 part which changes the game completely.

No worries I am sure it wasn't intentional.

Are you able to help me get logitech media server installed on my x32 machine please?

Hello,

I don't think I am likely to get any more replies to this thread - please feel free to add one if you can help me.

Final questions

• Would using Debian 9 give me access to 5.26?
    • Would I be able to install Logitech media server on Debian 9?

Hello,

I don't think I am likely to get any more replies to this thread - please feel free to add one if you can help me.

Final questions

If I were you I would get a Raspberry Pi if you can't build the binaries.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Final questions

Debian 9 gives you perl 5.24. LMS seems to have x32 binaries for that, and, yes, LMS works fine on Debian 9.

To solve this, can you tell me is it possible for me to install perl 5.26 on my current system?
    It is. However, as noted above, unless you are really sure your CPU can't handle 64 bit (check with the lscpu command), I'd recommend switching to a 64 bit OS, as LMS will work out of the box.

To install perl 5,26, follow this howto (the "Build perl" section)
    Change the Configure command to;
    Code:
    ./Configure -des -Dprefix=/opt/perl-5.26.3-LMS -Dusethreads -Duse64bitint  -Darchname='i386-linux'
    and adjust all following perl paths to /opt/perl-5.26.3-LMS/bin/perl
    ( I'm a bit unsure if it's i386-linux or i686-linux - let's try this first)
    If you are done, post the output of running /opt/perl-5.26.3-LMS/bin/perl -V

If I can get perl 5.26 installed on my system can I then run the .deb file to get logitech media server running?
    Most likely
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

@Roland0

I have an old Shuttle XS 35 GS v3 on which I used to run Windows 7 32 bit .

I thought to try this out, I installed Debian 10 with the Mate Desktop , using an "Unofficial non-free images including firmware packages".

After several hours I ended up with (I just used ./Configure -des -Dprefix=/opt/perl-5.26.3).

Code:
    ronnie@shuttle:~$ cd /opt
    ronnie@shuttle:/opt$ ls
    perl-5.26.3

Used wget and dpkg to install the i386 deb LMS and rebooted.

LMS installed OK (it's at "/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver" but does not open the web gui, the log says "access denied",

Code:
    2019-12-22 10:31:47 squeezeboxserver_safe started.
    2019-12-22 10:31:52 Logitech Media Server died. Restarting.
    2019-12-22 10:31:57 Logitech Media Server died. Restarting.
    and a status enquiry gives

Code:
    ronnie@shuttle:~$ sudo service logitechmediaserver status
    ● logitechmediaserver.service - LSB: Startup script for the Logitech Media Server
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver; generated)
       Active: active (running) since Mon 2019-12-23 09:36:38 GMT; 5min ago
         Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
      Process: 403 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        Tasks: 2 (limit: 4915)
       Memory: 10.7M
       CGroup: /system.slice/logitechmediaserver.service
               ├─ 456 /bin/bash /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver_safe /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver --prefsdir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs --logdir /var/log/squeezeboxserver/ --cachedir /var/lib/squ
               └─1390 sleep 5

Dec 23 09:36:37 shuttle systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Startup script for the Logitech Media Server...
    Dec 23 09:36:38 shuttle logitechmediaserver[403]: Making sure that Logitech Media Server is not running first: No process in pidfile '/var/run/logitechmediaserver.pid' found running; none k
    Dec 23 09:36:38 shuttle logitechmediaserver[403]: Starting Logitech Media Server.
    Dec 23 09:36:38 shuttle systemd[1]: Started LSB: Startup script for the Logitech Media Server.
    What do I do to make LMS use the 32 bit Perl? or is it best to restart with the version of LMS without the CPAN libraries ?

ronnie

Not in rush to do this, any advice much appreciated