Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezebox Touch Melting Plastic

Name:  IMG_0051.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  142.9 KB

Is there a way anyone has discovered to clean/halt the plastic from liquifying/getting sticky? Mine was in storage for a bit and is now nasty-- I'm thinking iso-alcohol may have triggered it, cause it was fine for ~10 years.

Thanks!
    Scott Kramer

Sticky Surface on Remote Controls And The Rear Of A Touch

Hi,

If you look under General Discussion, I submitted the same problem, under the above title. There were suggestions on how to tackle the problem.
    I still have the problem even having used isopropyl alcohol on various items. There are various suggestions on alternative products to try.

I have a problem with certain remotes and the rear of the Touch. It's not confined to Logitech products, it's across the board, where the plastic elements are breaking down.
    The rear of my Touch is not handled on a daily basis so skin acids aren't the problem. It seems the plastics are breaking down for various reasons.

I had one set of headphones, where "protein leather" made up the ear cups. This partly liquified and ran onto the speakers in the ear cups, making the earphones useless to use. The same applied to the headband. Parts could not be replaced.

It seems to be a problem with modern manufacture and the makeup of the plastic constituant.

The suggestions in that thread may be of help to you

The "soft" finish which was used on the lower panel of Touch, some SB remote and Boom - deteriorates with time - I don't think use of any cleaner is the direct cause.

isopropyl alcohol can remove it but with some elbow grease.
    There are other stronger products which remove it quicker such as HG Sticker Remover - but as they stronger they also can remove any printed graphics possibly the usage indicators above each socket on Touch.

Sticky Surface on Remote Controls And The Rear Of A Touch

Hi,

Yes, that's exactly what I found. Aggressive cleaners can further damage the printed sections on the plastic.

I used isopropyl alcohol, which helped but didn't cure. I don't think there is a cure. At least with "rubbing alcohol" as it's sometimes called, evaporates away and does not leave a residue of its own and isn't too aggressive.

My Touch has been put in a location, where it avoids most of the daily airborne dust, or at least, that's what I hope. The dust sticks to the goo, making it worse.

I have yet to find anything that will clean the plastic in a way, that doesn't cause further problems. The Squeezebox remote I have that is suffering the same problem, has been taken out of use, as I have other Squeezebox remotes, made from a different material. I also use my mobile phone and Fire tablet using Squeezer, so the remote didn't get much use anyway.

The material on the headphones I had, really broke down, whilst stored in their carry case. The manufacturers were unable to help and in fact, where the material had liquified and run onto the speaker units, the headphones became unuseable and had to be disposed of.