Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I had a go at making my own 2x18500 pack. I used a couple of flat-top unprotected cells (these), and added a protection PCB (the 'Ver 3 7.4V 2A' PCB from here). The PCB protects against overcharging, full discharge, over-current and short circuit.

I don't have the tools to weld tabs onto these batteries, and I was a bit nervous about soldering directly to them, but with a hot soldering iron, a large flat solder tip, and a bit of flux it was fairly easy. I sleeved them with a bit of thick rubber heat shrink, to insulate the contacts and stabilise the whole assembly. They're a nice snug fit in the case. The cells have a nominal capacity of 2000mAh, and they last aaaaaages.
    Nice! Re soldering batteries, I've read that using acid core solder does the right chemical reaction for the steel/nickel-plated battery terminals. I bought such solder a while ago but not tried yet ... as I'm doing spot welding on my packs, but that reminded me that I need to try this solder reel I have. Will keep you posted
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

I have SqueezeAMP directly connected to some passive ceiling speakers.
    Sometimes the sound cuts out for a second or so but the green light on SqueezeAMP does not start flashing.

I have found that reducing the sound level stops the problem - so I assume that this is power related.

Do you think it is the speakers that are cutting out (some sort of built-in limiter) or is it SqueezeAMP itself (I suspect SqueezeAMP because both speakers cut out at the same time and return at the same time)?

If SqueezeAMP is changing the power supply the solution?
    If yes - do you think I should increase the voltage or max amps ... or decrease?
    The current supply is rated (but untested) as 12V 2A
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I have SqueezeAMP directly connected to some passive ceiling speakers.
    Sometimes the sound cuts out for a second or so but the green light on SqueezeAMP does not start flashing.

I have found that reducing the sound level stops the problem - so I assume that this is power related.

Do you think it is the speakers that are cutting out (some sort of built-in limiter) or is it SqueezeAMP itself (I suspect SqueezeAMP because both speakers cut out at the same time and return at the same time)?

If SqueezeAMP is changing the power supply the solution?
    If yes - do you think I should increase the voltage or max amps ... or decrease?
    The current supply is rated (but untested) as 12V 2A
    Power supply seems fine, assuming it delivers - What about heat?
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-01-10 at 21:43.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Hi Florian - Thanks.

Regarding charging, first there is no room for a charger with a cell balancer but although you are totally right that it’s a better solution, I disagree it’s mandatory in this case.

I’ve recommended only using packs with individual cell protection which is the case for all pre-assembled pack you find on the market, so that eliminates this risk.

Then, it’s a common practice to have such 2 or 3 cells in serie without a balancer and it’s part of the reference design of these chipset vendors.

There is a big big difference with RC: for RC use case, the charge / discharge rates are so high (10x C) that the cells will become unbalanced. Here, the rate are much lower (C or C/2) that the risk of unbalancing are very low.

I have made a pack for the Boom and a 3D printer attached case that makes it a permanent portable solution using the same principle and I’ve been running 5 of these these for more than 4 years now and I also have 3 telescopes using similar system and they are all running fine and have not shown any signification réduction in capacity.

Again, all packs have individual protection to avoid serious issues, so worst case you loose capacity.

Philippe
    Thank you Philippe,
    for the detailed answer and all other for the discussion. I learned from your posts. I didn't have in mind that these cells are also produced with protection circuits. And yes in this case everything is fine, you won't need a balancing, since these cells will do it by themselves. Especially since you're charging with lower currents. Would be nice to have a notice on the github repository, that one should use cells with inbuilt protection circuits. I suppose there will be more people like me not aware of that.
    Greetings,
    Florian

Power supply seems fine, assuming it delivers - What about heat?
    I'll try orienting it a different way (it is on a shelf with very little free airflow so could be that).
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by frahe View Post
    Thank you Philippe,
    for the detailed answer and all other for the discussion. I learned from your posts. I didn't have in mind that these cells are also produced with protection circuits. And yes in this case everything is fine, you won't need a balancing, since these cells will do it by themselves. Especially since you're charging with lower currents. Would be nice to have a notice on the github repository, that one should use cells with inbuilt protection circuits. I suppose there will be more people like me not aware of that.
    Greetings,
    Florian
    I will update the github site

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Just to keep you updated, we now have buttons and screen management in squeezeamp

I'll try orienting it a different way (it is on a shelf with very little free airflow so could be that).
    I think it is resolved.
    The device was not getting hot (at least it did not feel hot when holding the plastic case) but changing orientation seemed to have an effect sometimes ... the reason being that the speaker wires were sometimes touching each other.
    I presume that the higher current when using a higher volume meant that a slight join between the speaker cables caused more bad effects.
    My speaker cable that had been working fine with the amp that was there before was a bit too thick for the SqueezeAMP terminals and I had forced it all a bit too much.

So I put a small terminal block at the end of the cables and then ran much thinner cables from the new external terminal block to SqueezeAMP.
    Paul Webster

I think it is resolved.
    The device was not getting hot (at least it did not feel hot when holding the plastic case) but changing orientation seemed to have an effect sometimes ... the reason being that the speaker wires were sometimes touching each other.
    I presume that the higher current when using a higher volume meant that a slight join between the speaker cables caused more bad effects.
    My speaker cable that had been working fine with the amp that was there before was a bit too thick for the SqueezeAMP terminals and I had forced it all a bit too much.

So I put a small terminal block at the end of the cables and then ran much thinner cables from the new external terminal block to SqueezeAMP.
    That makes sense. There is built-in protection for short circuit in the amplifier.

Just to keep you updated, we now have buttons and screen management in squeezeamp
    This will open the door to a lot of possibilities!
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!
    Contributing to Folding@Home : https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/squeezelite-esp32