Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 43 of 71 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 707
  1. #421
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    6

    VU meter

    I also kind of remember the VU meters being coupled to the output/volume. Maybee some sort of gain or scale option in the code might be good for when it is being used in an amp running full out.
    The needle movement looks very " nervous" though to me. Is this because of the limitations from the number of possible pixels?

  2. #422
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I’ve not looked at VU meter definition precisely because I also did not want to spend too much time reproducing the electro-mechanical response but I’m surprised when you say it should not represent volume. On an amplifier, it does, it’s not the line-in.
    Now, from a practical point of view, I had to do something special for our embedded system. In normal squeezelite, the visu option is at a different point of the audio chain and needs gain to be re-applied. I can’t do that here, it’s may too much cpu consumption, so I have to take the samples as they are fed to the DAC
    Thanks for the response. The only VU-meters I ever owned were on a cassette deck...
    No biggie though, the system with the big screen will also do volume regulation.
    (Thinking about it: could you shift a bit or two, somwhere?)

    edit: just checked with my SB3: the VU-meter does not change with volume setting. Maybe this also infuenced my "memory".
    Last edited by ElFishi; 2020-04-03 at 12:53.

  3. #423
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,846
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Can we have the one on the left in a close-up?!? What size and resolution are these displays?
    Name:  IMG_5579.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  81.7 KB
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

  4. #424
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,846
    Quote Originally Posted by justjason View Post
    I also kind of remember the VU meters being coupled to the output/volume. Maybee some sort of gain or scale option in the code might be good for when it is being used in an amp running full out.
    The needle movement looks very " nervous" though to me. Is this because of the limitations from the number of possible pixels?
    No, it's because I've not done anything to replicate a real VU and the slow response time, so it's basically a 100ms update, no filtering
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-04-03 at 17:57.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

  5. #425
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,846

    ANNOUNCE: the SqueezeAMP, next generation squeezeboxen amplifier/receiver

    Quote Originally Posted by ElFishi View Post
    Thanks for the response. The only VU-meters I ever owned were on a cassette deck...
    No biggie though, the system with the big screen will also do volume regulation.
    (Thinking about it: could you shift a bit or two, somwhere?)

    edit: just checked with my SB3: the VU-meter does not change with volume setting. Maybe this also infuenced my "memory".
    I've done the following: when volume is fixed at 100% (which equals to volume max, but that I cannot make the difference), then value is scaled down a bit to look good enough
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-04-03 at 19:19.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

  6. #426
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    No, it's because I've not done anything to replicate a real VU and the slow response time, so it's basically a 100ms update, no filtering
    What do you think ot the idea of a bit of smoothing ?
    For example new value = (3* last_value + new sample) / 4

  7. #427
    Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    If your PCM5102 DAC has a power regulator, then you could try to power it from the 5V

    Otherwise, unplug the DAC and see if the display will come up. Have you checked the display driver address. Not all modules use the same address by default
    The DAC can run off a 5v supply, swapping the supplies works.

    Just for fun, I decided to try the S/PDIF route. Soldered the ends of two dupont wires to a RCA male jack, changed a few parameters, and success. I have it plugged into the coaxial input on a MiniDSP 4x10 HD. These little things are a blast to play with .

    Name:  IMG_0420.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  162.4 KB

  8. #428
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by mboxler View Post
    The DAC can run off a 5v supply, swapping the supplies works.

    Just for fun, I decided to try the S/PDIF route. Soldered the ends of two dupont wires to a RCA male jack, changed a few parameters, and success. I have it plugged into the coaxial input on a MiniDSP 4x10 HD. These little things are a blast to play with .
    I, too, run a ESP32 with S/PDIF output. However I wasn't quite as audacious as you and went for something along the line of the "Simplest TTL to S/PDIF coax interface" on this page.

    Output being 3V3 I used a voltage divider of 220 and 100 Ohm. In addition, I decoupled ESP-ground from S/PDIF-ground by another 100nF cap.

  9. #429
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I've done the following: when volume is fixed at 100% (which equals to volume max, but that I cannot make the difference), then value is scaled down a bit to look good enough
    Excellent, thank you!
    That does it.

  10. #430
    Quote Originally Posted by ElFishi View Post
    I, too, run a ESP32 with S/PDIF output. However I wasn't quite as audacious as you and went for something along the line of the "Simplest TTL to S/PDIF coax interface" on this page.

    Output being 3V3 I used a voltage divider of 220 and 100 Ohm. In addition, I decoupled ESP-ground from S/PDIF-ground by another 100nF cap.
    Yikes! The more I learn the less I know. I didn't have a 220 ohm, but was able to parallel two resistors to get to 195 ohm. Close enough I believe.

    Many thanks for the link.

    Mike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •