Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Have you tried using your Echo to send to SqueezeAMP via Bluetooth?
    If it works for you then I'll have another go.

Also - is there a way to stop neighbours connecting to the Bluetooth (e.g. to have a way to enable/disable new devices from pairing - while allowing registered devices to connect/disconnect)?
    I ask because we recently heard a neighbour typing and I think it was because their Bluetooth headset had connected to a Bluetooth speaker in our place (not SqueezeAMP).
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Lipo Balancing?

I really like this thing a lot and you've done a great job. I'm searching for diffenrent options to expand my system. Actually used a pi zero with justboom amp zero. But this thing here would be a much nicer mobile solution!
    I would like to admit, that you should really revise the charging of the LiPo batteries! When I look at the pictures there is no connection for balancing the voltage of these. These batteries are really sensitive to overcharging and with three batteries in series you'll may easily get a too high voltage at one of the batteries. Just remember samsung handys a while ago... They had only bad cell quality, without overcharging. And you'll be using these players in your home, possibly standing on furniture. I'm coming from RC models and there you're charging your batteries with a balancer charger and in a special fire-proof bag... These cells may be a little bit more brittle like the ones used here and in RC you're charging at higher rates, but care should be taken when charging these cells!
    Greetings,
    Florian

ANNOUNCE: the SqueezeAMP, next generation squeezeboxen amplifier/receiver

Quote Originally Posted by frahe View Post
    I really like this thing a lot and you've done a great job. I'm searching for diffenrent options to expand my system. Actually used a pi zero with justboom amp zero. But this thing here would be a much nicer mobile solution!
    I would like to admit, that you should really revise the charging of the LiPo batteries! When I look at the pictures there is no connection for balancing the voltage of these. These batteries are really sensitive to overcharging and with three batteries in series you'll may easily get a too high voltage at one of the batteries. Just remember samsung handys a while ago... They had only bad cell quality, without overcharging. And you'll be using these players in your home, possibly standing on furniture. I'm coming from RC models and there you're charging your batteries with a balancer charger and in a special fire-proof bag... These cells may be a little bit more brittle like the ones used here and in RC you're charging at higher rates, but care should be taken when charging these cells!
    Greetings,
    Florian
    Hi Florian - Thanks.

Regarding charging, first there is no room for a charger with a cell balancer but although you are totally right that itís a better solution, I disagree itís mandatory in this case.

Iíve recommended only using packs with individual cell protection which is the case for all pre-assembled pack you find on the market, so that eliminates this risk.

Then, itís a common practice to have such 2 or 3 cells in serie without a balancer and itís part of the reference design of these chipset vendors.

There is a big big difference with RC: for RC use case, the charge / discharge rates are so high (10x C) that the cells will become unbalanced. Here, the rate are much lower (C or C/2) that the risk of unbalancing are very low.

I have made a pack for the Boom and a 3D printer attached case that makes it a permanent portable solution using the same principle and Iíve been running 5 of these these for more than 4 years now and I also have 3 telescopes using similar system and they are all running fine and have not shown any signification rťduction in capacity.

Again, all packs have individual protection to avoid serious issues, so worst case you loose capacity.

Philippe
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-01-05 at 07:59.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Have you tried using your Echo to send to SqueezeAMP via Bluetooth?
    If it works for you then I'll have another go.

Also - is there a way to stop neighbours connecting to the Bluetooth (e.g. to have a way to enable/disable new devices from pairing - while allowing registered devices to connect/disconnect)?
    I ask because we recently heard a neighbour typing and I think it was because their Bluetooth headset had connected to a Bluetooth speaker in our place (not SqueezeAMP).
    I will try today to use my echo. Wrt blocking pairing, yes this can be fairly doable, at least to allow only one device. A list will be more complicated.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    There is a big big difference with RC: for RC use case, the charge / discharge rates are so high (10x C) that the cells will become unbalanced.
    I also do custom drones, and battery chemistry is different: LiPo vs Li-ion. LiPo is known to be unstable under specific conditions (which is like 90% of the time). SqueezeAmp should be assembled with Li-ion, the more stable type that's found everywhere these days.

As with Samsung's issue, I believe that most does were caused by batteries that did not fit Samsung's requirements for size; under charging/heat, their size became too large for the casing tolerances, causing ruptures in the battery wrapping.
    Last edited by sle118; 2020-01-05 at 15:21.
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!
    Contributing to Folding@Home : https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/squeezelite-esp32

I will try today to use my echo. Wrt blocking pairing, yes this can be fairly doable, at least to allow only one device. A list will be more complicated.
    I tried with my Alexa, it worked

I tried with my Alexa, it worked
    I just tried again and still does not work for me.
    When I pair the devices I see the green status LED on SqueezeAMP change from flashing (idle) to solid.
    But when I ask Alexa to do something that should have a spoken response, I hear nothing.

I've done more research and found that this has been happening to a few people (since Sep 2019 or so) and was claimed by Amazon to be fixed in December 2019.
    https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/d...n-my-bluetooth

My Echo (Dot 2nd Generation) shows version number: 649649820
    ... which appears to be newer than Amazon lists on their firmware status page at
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...B5FVUB6REAVTXY
    which shows 649649720
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I just tried again and still does not work for me.
    When I pair the devices I see the green status LED on SqueezeAMP change from flashing (idle) to solid.
    But when I ask Alexa to do something that should have a spoken response, I hear nothing.

I've done more research and found that this has been happening to a few people (since Sep 2019 or so) and was claimed by Amazon to be fixed in December 2019.
    https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/d...n-my-bluetooth

My Echo (Dot 2nd Generation) shows version number: 649649820
    ... which appears to be newer than Amazon lists on their firmware status page at
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...B5FVUB6REAVTXY
    which shows 649649720
    Sound was pretty low for me as it was the combination of low Alexa volume and low LMS volume, so pushing both up did a difference. My echo is 1st Gen. Iíve made modifications that Iíve not published yet, but I donít think this should impact you. Maybe make sure that LMS is stopped *not* paused - this has been fixed now but was not working correctly in the version you have

Thanks - Pause v Stopped resolved it for me - in that I could hear Alexa speaking.

If Bluetooth (noise - not connection) had priority then I think I would use it even if it meant missing a few seconds of LMS playing something while the announcement came out.
    Paul Webster

Iíve recommended only using packs with individual cell protection which is the case for all pre-assembled pack you find on the market, so that eliminates this risk.
    I had a go at making my own 2x18500 pack. I used a couple of flat-top unprotected cells (these), and added a protection PCB (the 'Ver 3 7.4V 2A' PCB from here). The PCB protects against overcharging, full discharge, over-current and short circuit.

I don't have the tools to weld tabs onto these batteries, and I was a bit nervous about soldering directly to them, but with a hot soldering iron, a large flat solder tip, and a bit of flux it was fairly easy. I sleeved them with a bit of thick rubber heat shrink, to insulate the contacts and stabilise the whole assembly. They're a nice snug fit in the case. The cells have a nominal capacity of 2000mAh, and they last aaaaaages.