Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philippe_44
    • May 2008

ANNOUNCE: the SqueezeAMP, next generation squeezeboxen amplifier/receiver

It's now official, SqueezeAMP and SqueezeESP32 are available and this is the support thread.

There are 2 components in the project: SqueezeAMP which is the audio board and SqueezeESP32 which is the software. The SqueezeAMP is always delivered with the software built-in.

1- SqueezeAMP: The project lives here https://github.com/philippe44/Squeez...ster/README.md. It's a complete audio board with the following features
    • integrated power amplifier up to 2x20W
    • analogue line-out (which can be used as a headset output, with some precaution)
    • opticial spdif output
    • WiFi and BT connectivity
    • power from 5-20V
    • battery charger and automatic switch (2 or 3 Li-Ion cells)
    • all inputs/outputs (including reset and power on) are using through connectors so they can be un-populated and replaced by wires for integrating inside another design
    • 3 extension connectors with 8, 2 and 3 generic purpose IO (i2s, i2c, spi, gpio)
    • can provide 3.3V regulated output 100mA+ for external devices

There are 2 versions: the basic and the boost.

- The basic can be supplied with 5 to 20 Volts, but if you use a battery, the supply must be 3.3V above the battery. There is a 2 cells version which means supply must be 2*4.2+3.3 = 11.7V or above, so 12V is perfect. The 3 cells requires at least 3*4.2+3.3 = 15.9V so 16V is perfect. If you don't use battery, 12V is recommended
    - The boost version has a built-in voltage up-converter so that it can use 3 cells battery but be powered by 12V only. You'll find all the details on the github site as there are other options for the boost, but for simplicity I'll just stop here in this thread. If you don't use battery ... then boost is not for you

We have teamed up with @sle118, @chill and @daduke to build that project and with their help, I can provide fully equipped boards of the basic 2 cells or the boost 3 cells in a very nice acrylic or a 3D-printed case with or without room for battery (special credit to @chill). The 3D cases are on the github site but the acrylic are probably not worth doing yourself. The battery acrylic case has an extra hole that allows a switch power off the squeezeAMP (charge will still work). In that mode, there is still a small leakage current, but a 3 cells 18350 should last a few month. Note that when you switch off the player in LMS, it will enter a low power mode where it should last a few days on 3x18350.

Here is a guide for assembly https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post957556

If you want another voltage/battery combination, you can either built it yourself or buy one and modify it.

If you want to get the system from me, here are the options
    • basic or boost
    • slim box (external battery) or full box (internal battery)

The cost of basic is $65 + shipment (less than $10 in most cases) + box (around $2). Expect the boost to be around $5 extra. This is a non-profit proposal, so please bear that in mind
    So far, I've done a first batch of 30 basic v1 and then a second one of 50 basic v3 (v3 has a few hardware improvements mainly more IO) which are sold out. I now have a new batch of 80 basic and 20 boost. Send me a message to the address below

If this community has enough interest, I might find a more professional go-to-market option. For now, if you are interested, please send an email at s q u e e z e a m p a t o u t l o o k d o t c o m

Just for clarity, the SqueezeAMP comes with a version of the SqueezeliteESP32 software already pre-loaded. When you power it up for the first time, it will broadcast a WiFi AP to which you can connect using your iPhone, Android or any WiFi-enabled computer. Then select your WiFi network, enter password and you're good to go. You can access the management interface at any time with a browser for further configuration and/or update the software. There is no need of a USB-to-Serial converter to load software, it's only for very unlikely recovery case, if you want to update the boot software itself or do more tinkering.

2- SqueezeESP32 lives here https://github.com/sle118/squeezelite-esp32. It's the software to run on the SqueezeAMP but it can be used on any esp32-WROVER based devices.
    • full port of squeezelite (up to 192kHz samplerate, but 16 bits only)
    • pcm, aif, alac, flac, mp3, ogg, opus, aac (mp4) codecs
    • resampling to and from any rate
    • 10-bands equalizer
    • synchronization with other squeezeboxes
    • BT sink (play from any BT-capable devices)
    • AirPlay sink with synchronization (play from any iOS/iTunes or compatible device)
    • when used with SqueezeAMP, plays on internal amplifier, analogue line-out, spdif or send audio to a BT device (external speaker or headset)
    • when used standalone, it can output to BT, an i2s DAC or a spdif connector.
    • you can even do funny things like AirPlay to Bluetooth ...
    • OLED display support like https://www.buydisplay.com/i2c-blue-...o-raspberry-pi and https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/1.3inch_OLED_HAT
    • Buttons
    • Rotary encoder

When you'll receive a SqueezeAMP, it is shipped with a default firmware that broadcasts a WiFi AP with a unique SSID. From any WiFi device, connect to it ("squeezelite" is the default password) and you set it up to connect to your WiFi network. Then, once you have an IP from your WiFi network, use the built-in webserver http://<IP> and go into the firmware menu to update the board with the actual SqueezeESP32 firmware.

SqueezeESP32 can support other hardware based on the WROVER or ESP32-A1S devices. Note that it does NOT work on WROOM module, the reason being that external RAM is required.

Example of kit using Espressif's native WROVER can be found here https://a.aliexpress.com/_dY83WTf and also using the 3rd-party ESP32-A1S module can be found here https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZMwS57 but again, any device based on these module will work. The main difference is that the WROVER does not include a DAC, you must add one where the A1S does have a build-in DAC.

Don't forget to add the LMS associated plugin here https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sl...lugin/repo.xml. It's not mandatory for the SqueezeESP32 to work, but if you want display or equalizer, then you need it.

In case some of you "bricked" the device by trying to update to the new version from GitHub and if you cannot do direct download using the 6 pins connector, get an http local server (something as basic as https://www.rejetto.com/hfs/?f=intro) and go to https://github.com/sle118/squeezelite-esp32/tags. Select the version you want and click on "Downloads" and, at the bottom of the page, you have either all the binaires in a zip file from which you can extract squeezelite.bin or choose directly the .bin standalone file, and make it available from your http server. Then, in the Firmware tab of the SqueezeAMP webUI, just paste the URL to your local server in the "FIRMWARE URL" box.

So why this project?

Many reasons, but first it is a lot of fun.

Then, the idea was to keep our great squeezeboxen (?) community alive as long as possible and have a device that can be at minimum like a duet or SB3 with built-in amplifier, as well as bluetooth. You can use it with the splendid boxes that @chill has created and it looks very cool IMHO, but you can also integrate it in an old radio of yours, a pair of speakers or any other equipment and make it LMS, BT and AirPlay enabled.

Some have rightfully said that you can do all that with a Pi and some hats, and they are perfectly correct. But the SqueezeAMP is more compact, boots in 5s, has battery, is much smaller, and can be less tinkering that an Pi (or more if you want to ). So projects like piCore/Max2Play + Pi and SqueezeAMP/SqueezeESP32 are complementary. SqueezeESP32 is more like a continuation of SB3/Boom and piCore/Max2Play are more continuation of Touch. They both have pros/cons, you choose

Basic top & bottom (credits @Aki7 for taking the time to do the diagrams below - many thanks!)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SqueezeAmp_v_3.11-Board-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	1578534
    Boost in acrylic slim case (no battery)

Name:	IMG_5330.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1578449
    Boost in acrylic large case (3x18350 cells)

Name:	IMG_5331.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1578450
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2021-06-06, 22:38.
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3
  • Paul Webster
    • Apr 2005

Exciting ... this just dropped through the letterbox

Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• Paul Webster
      • Apr 2005

Package looks damaged though ... looks like someone trod on it!

Paul Webster
      Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
      and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• Paul Webster
        • Apr 2005

Or maybe jumped on it!

Paul Webster

Comment

• philippe_44
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Paul Webster
          Or maybe jumped on it!
          That's crazy. How can they have mishandled a package like that !!! I'l ask @chill to send you another one
          Last edited by philippe_44; 2019-12-10, 16:04.
          LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• Paul Webster
            • Apr 2005

They also broke tabs on the case.
            Sorry about this.
            I'll pay more to help.
            Paul Webster

Comment

• chill
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Paul Webster
              They also broke tabs on the case.
              I'd be surprised if they didn't, looking at the damage to the PCB. Looks like they had a shipment of Atlas stones in the back of the van with your parcel. As soon as my parcel from Philippe arrives I'll get the replacement sent out.

Comment

• chill
                • Mar 2007

For anyone lucky enough to receive a SqueezeAMP with an acrylic case that hasn't been smashed to bits, I made some quick assembly instructions - see this post.

Comment

• Paul Webster
                  • Apr 2005

I was going to suggest putting a "Fragile" label on it but they might use those for better targetting.

I just tried putting it through my letterbox and it fits without needing to be squeezed.
                  Paul Webster

Comment

• KeBul
                    • Sep 2009

That's shocking and pretty sad, who were the delivery company?

Possible compensation claim?

Kev

Comment

• philippe_44
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by KeBul
                      That's shocking and pretty sad, who were the delivery company?

Possible compensation claim?

Kev
                      Unfortunately that will probably be more complicated than just eating the cost

Comment

• pbg4
                        • Feb 2014

Hi,

so it looks that I have been lucky enough to get two SqueezeAMPs by postal delivery in good shape,
                        the envelope was also torn but repaired with tape from La Poste de France!,..
                        perhaps it would be a good idea to use padded envelopes the next time,

meanwhile I have soldered the connectors needed but at the moment am still testing, as this little squeezeamp board
                        has so many possibilites it will take a while,..

BT and LMS playout of flac 44.1khz 16 bit files work fine, also playing fine over Philippe's airupnp bridge LMS plugin,..

airplay has some hickups with latest ota v0.4.214 SqueezeAMP 4MB Version, first it played with iphone,
                        later no connection, the same with 12.6.2 and 12.9 itunes, complains about incompatible version and can not connect,..
                        forked-daapd m4a files also have some constant hiss with airplay, but it connects OK,..

best wishes pbg4

Comment

• r.ludwig
                          • Dec 2018

Hi,

got my two squeezeamp's delivered today.

The envelope was opened here as well, but the two small boxes inside seems to be intact. Was lucky.

First picture is of the envelope, how it was delivered in the mailbox.

Second picture of the first one I built together, thanks to the great instructions.

To all of you working this. Amazing! I am really impressed by the outcome of this masterpiece. Now I just need to hook it up, we'll see if I manage tonight.

RichardClick image for larger version

Name:	20191212_193802.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1567539Click image for larger version

Name:	1576180482000_1.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1567540

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
                          LMS 7.9.2 - 2 * piCorePlayer & 2 * Squeezeamp

Comment

• pbg4
                            • Feb 2014

Hi,

tests for the airplay problem in latest ota v0.4.214 SqueezeAMP 4MB Version are not successfull here,
                            there must be a regression somewhere in the latest commits on github,..

if I use VLC on MacOS to play different sorts of audio files (i.e. pcm, flac,alac etc.,..) to SqueezeAMP via Airplay the routing
                            is done with VLC and the MacOS Audio-Midi-control panel,

in the logfiles there are always entries that at the beginning of the communication something goes wrong, before actual audio data are sent:

PM [AirPlay] Set up for stream GeneralAudio, PCM/44100/16/2 -> ALAC/44100/16/2
                            PM [AirPlay] ### Endpoint "ESP32-AirPlay-4d1a48" options error: -6748/0xFFFFE5A4 kMismatchErr
                            PM [AirPlay] ### Endpoint "ESP32-AirPlay-4d1a48" start failed: -6748/0xFFFFE5A4 kMismatchErr
                            PM [BonjourBrowser] Reconfirming PTR for 246F284D1A48@ESP32-AirPlay-4d1a48._raop._tcp.local. on en0
                            PM [AirPlay] Posted 'com.apple.AirTunes.endpointStartError' with -6748/0xFFFFE5A4 kMismatchErr
                            PM [AirPlay] Tore down for stream GeneralAudio
                            PM [AirPlay] Posting kAudioDevicePropertyDataSourceInfoForID: item 12531 error: -6748/0xFFFFE5A4 kMismatchErr
                            PM [AirPlay] Client stop finished
                            PM [AirPlay] Quiescing endpoint 'ESP32-AirPlay-4d1a48'
                            Question is also if we should discuss things like this here in the thread or should I better open an issue in the git hub repo?
                            also going back to earlier versions for testing is not really a solution because in the latest version the commit for BT & AirPlay switch fix
                            is contained,..

best wishes pbg4
                            Last edited by pbg4; 2019-12-13, 15:14.

Comment

• KeBul
                              • Sep 2009

Woohoo!

SqueezeAMP spotted in the wild...

Name:	IMG_4779_800.jpg
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1567547

Mine arrived today, similar to others, envelope torn (caused by the corners of the box by the look of it) but box OK and all components within are fine.

I have to say - WOW, the SqueezeAMP itself is incredibly small, an amazing piece of work and the box by chill is excellent.

After assembly I powered it up, connected to it and configured it for my wifi, reconnected via that wifi and then updated the firmware. I'm now sitting here listening to music on it with wired headphones and it sounds great.

What an incredible effort, Philippe44, sle118, daduke and chill... thanks to you all.

And now my one issue so far, how do I connect my SqueezeAMP to a Bluetooth speaker or headphones?

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Working...