Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhase View Post
    Sorry - I was just not patient enough.... LED D1 finally switched off..
    Great little system!
    Great. BTW, you are using ´recycled’ batteries, make sure they are balanced before putting them in série. Regarding smd handling, best is to use 2 iron solder to remove it or even better hot air. Otherwise with one iron remove as much solder as possible with solder wick and use plenty of flux around the smd. Re component supplier, I think digikey serves EU, they are amazing
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Great. BTW, you are using ´recycled’ batteries, make sure they are balanced before putting them in série. Regarding smd handling, best is to use 2 iron solder to remove it or even better hot air. Otherwise with one iron remove as much solder as possible with solder wick and use plenty of flux around the smd. Re component supplier, I think digikey serves EU, they are amazing
    Yes; I charged them all seperately before I put them together.
    I am amazed how long SqueezeAmp runs on a charge (~1200mAh batteries) - using the amp at moderate volume, it ran already a couple of hours and I just measured the batteries - they are down from 4.2 to 4.0 volts each and all within 10mV balanced.
    Wrt soldering: I got it finally to work with a tiny tip on my soldering iron. I also have a hot air station, but I don't have much experience (In another case I blew accidently some next neighbor SMD parts away .... I did not want to risk this in this case)

Update

An update on our little adventure

- The ESP32-A1S module is now part of the build, so it's really the cheapest SB ... https://www.amazon.com/ILS-ESP32-A1S...1493505&sr=8-2
    - There is I2C and SPI display support, 128x32 or 64 (SSD1306 and SH1106) to 256x32 (SSD1326 - needs more updates). This one fits inside the casing https://www.amazon.com/Display-Inter...tronics&sr=1-6 and will directly connect on the 6 pins header of the next generation. Only the first 32 pixels are used
    - AirPlay and Bluetooth use display as well, with a bit of metadata configuration
    - Buttons are supported
    - Rotary encoder is supported https://www.amazon.com/Tegg-KY-040-E...493453&sr=8-19
    - A combo like this hat works https://www.waveshare.com/1.3inch-oled-hat.htm (a bit short on GPIO, though ...)
    - There is a universal build so all is configurable (external DAC & SPDIF I/O, display, buttons, rotary, jack detection, led ...) through parameters, whether you use SqueezeAMP or a raw module. No need to recompile anything. Find more here https://github.com/sle118/squeezelit...ster/README.md
    - Last but not least, you have access to the debug log using telnet, no need to connect a USB-to-serial all the time (well at least once for first flashing)

We should release an "official" build in the coming days
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

ANNOUNCE: the SqueezeAMP, next generation squeezeboxen amplifier/receiver

I have been installing the 4MB version on my SqueezeAMP because I wasn't sure how much RAM it has.
    Will the 8MB version fit and would it make much difference?
    Last edited by Paul Webster; 2020-02-13 at 21:05.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Hi,

the 8MB version will fit since SqueezeAmp has 8MB, but there is no real benefit,
    since everything fits in also in 4MB, if you want to change to 8MB better reflash with cable
    since the partition layout is different,

at least that is what I did when I changed from 4MB to 8MB,..

best wishes pbg4
    Last edited by pbg4; 2020-02-13 at 06:45.

Just updated to latest firmware (v0.5.404)
    a question wrt Battery / ADC Configuration:
    Code:
    channel=0..7,scale=<scale>
    What do these channels mean / what does selecting one do?
    And where is the reading shown?
    I noticed on some earlier build that there was a battery symbol in the upper right corner of the esp32-wifi-manager window next to where it states 'I2S' / your current audio output.
    But that is now gone (in my case)

SqueezeAmp problems...

Hi SqueezeAmp guys,

I've been playing on and off with my pre-built SqueezeAmp but do seem to have some problems with it...

1. Powering up from cold is very difficult and takes multiple attempts, it normally powers up with 2 red LED's and remains in that state, I have to keep cycling the power and eventually it seems to burst into life with an initial green LED and then either flashing green and solid red LED if configured for I2S or I've tried two different 12v psu's one APD rated at 3A and an Ansmann rated at 1A
    I've not got any batteries connected.

2. Once up and running, I've been listening with a pair of Bose headphones, connected via BT using a2dp, but the sound quality is so so, quite often getting little fractional pauses or breaks in the music. If I connect the headphones to my Macbook and play the same track(s) using Squeezeplay then it is perfect.
    ****Edit - was just testing for something else and got headphones connected to bt_name rather than a2dp_dev_name but still getting the same little breaks in music, no idea what teh difference is between bt_name and a2dp_dev_name.

3. Having sort of given up with BT I reconfigured the SqueezeAmp to use I2S and tried the headphones wired using the headphone jack on the SqueezeAmp, but this is really noisy with a pulsing hiss on the right channel, no such noise on the headphones if wired to other devices.

I've been upgrading firmware with each release since I've had it,

So have I got a bad unit or do you think it's power related?, the Ansmann I purchased specifically for this but it is one that has switchable output voltages and multiple connectors, I'm sure the polarity is correct. The APD came with Lacie external hard drive and runs that fine, (which I assume is a heavier load).

Any other ideas? the Squeezelite command it generates is

squeezelite -b 500:2000 -d all=info -n "squeezelite" -o "BT -n 'Bose OE SoundLink'" -R -Z 192000

Can this be tweaked in anyway?

Cheers

Kev

***Further edit - files being played are VBR mp3's probably a max rate of 320
    Last edited by KeBul; 2020-02-14 at 11:56.

@KeBul, I'm going to try to answer some software questions; I'll leave hardware to Philippe.

Quote Originally Posted by KeBul View Post
    Hi SqueezeAmp guys,
    2. Once up and running, I've been listening with a pair of Bose headphones, connected via BT using a2dp, but the sound quality is so so, quite often getting little fractional pauses or breaks in the music. If I connect the headphones to my Macbook and play the same track(s) using Squeezeplay then it is perfect.
    ****Edit - was just testing for something else and got headphones connected to bt_name rather than a2dp_dev_name but still getting the same little breaks in music, no idea what teh difference is between bt_name and a2dp_dev_name.
    Squeezelite is able to play 2 roles for Bluetooth
    1. Sink: this makes Squeezelite advertize itself as a playback device to nearby sources. This would allow you to stream content directly from a phone (for example if you carry your speakers outside). The configuration for this mode is done inside of the squeezelite command line option and the web UI does a good job at simplifying the inputs.
    2. Source: this mode will instruct Squeezelite-ESP32 to search for a "sink" device (e.g. a bluetooth speaker) matching the name from the config name "a2dp_sink_name". The a2dp protocol requires a source to provide a name when connecting to a sink. This is the role of variable "a2dp_dev_name" which, by default, will tell a bluetooth device that "squeezelite" is sending music.

squeezelite -b 500:2000 -d all=info -n "squeezelite" -o "BT -n 'Bose OE SoundLink'" -R -Z 192000
    In this case, squeezelite-esp32 would attempt to connect to a bluetooth speaker called Bose OE SoundLink. You wouldn't be able to playback from the Logitech media server until the bose speaker has accepted the connection.

I added a small telnet server to the most recent build. It can be activated by setting telnet_enable to "Y" (without the quotes). Note that this shouldn't be left open as it's not password protected (the http interface will eventually be protected by password). With telnet enabled, you can connect to the esp32 and check the logs for any errors. The "telnet_buffer" variable allows you to increase the amount of logs that are kept in the buffer. As soon as a connection is made, the system will dump the buffer content and keep sending all logs to the telnet client.

I am planning a better user messaging system that will help surfacing critical conditions to the web interface, but for now this is the only option (short of plugging a USB->UART adapter).
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!

Hi SqueezeAmp guys,

I've been playing on and off with my pre-built SqueezeAmp but do seem to have some problems with it...

1. Powering up from cold is very difficult and takes multiple attempts, it normally powers up with 2 red LED's and remains in that state, I have to keep cycling the power and eventually it seems to burst into life with an initial green LED and then either flashing green and solid red LED if configured for I2S or I've tried two different 12v psu's one APD rated at 3A and an Ansmann rated at 1A
    I've not got any batteries connected.
    It seems you have a faulty unit. Which led turns red? The same that is flashing green? If this is the case, this is definitively a hw problem. Can you pm me and I’ll send you another one

[edit]: about faulty units, unfortunately PCBWay purcahes the wrong Espressif module and they had to replace them all manually. There is always a risk when you do that and it seems that unfortunately there are a few bad solder joint on some units. I've seen 2 so far.
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-02-15 at 14:51.

@ KeBul
    i also have a finished board and i noticed the problem at the start.
    However, I have not dealt with the problem further and have not informed phillippe.
    I also thought like you that it is because of the power supply.

Cheers
    horst