Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    It seems you have a faulty unit. Which led turns red? The same that is flashing green? If this is the case, this is definitively a hw problem. Can you pm me and Iíll send you another one

[edit]: about faulty units, unfortunately PCBWay purcahes the wrong Espressif module and they had to replace them all manually. There is always a risk when you do that and it seems that unfortunately there are a few bad solder joint on some units. I've seen 2 so far.
    Hi,

Yes it's the flashing green LED that remains red when it will not power up, shame you are are getting some faulty units, it's a fantastic little device you guys have come up with.

I'll send a PM

Thanks

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post

Squeezelite is able to play 2 roles for Bluetooth
    1. Sink: this makes Squeezelite advertize itself as a playback device to nearby sources. This would allow you to stream content directly from a phone (for example if you carry your speakers outside). The configuration for this mode is done inside of the squeezelite command line option and the web UI does a good job at simplifying the inputs.
    2. Source: this mode will instruct Squeezelite-ESP32 to search for a "sink" device (e.g. a bluetooth speaker) matching the name from the config name "a2dp_sink_name". The a2dp protocol requires a source to provide a name when connecting to a sink. This is the role of variable "a2dp_dev_name" which, by default, will tell a bluetooth device that "squeezelite" is sending music.
    Thanks, that makes sense now.

In this case, squeezelite-esp32 would attempt to connect to a bluetooth speaker called Bose OE SoundLink. You wouldn't be able to playback from the Logitech media server until the bose speaker has accepted the connection.
    Yes that's what I'm connecting to and is the behaviour I see.

I added a small telnet server to the most recent build. It can be activated by setting telnet_enable to "Y" (without the quotes). Note that this shouldn't be left open as it's not password protected (the http interface will eventually be protected by password). With telnet enabled, you can connect to the esp32 and check the logs for any errors. The "telnet_buffer" variable allows you to increase the amount of logs that are kept in the buffer. As soon as a connection is made, the system will dump the buffer content and keep sending all logs to the telnet client.

I am planning a better user messaging system that will help surfacing critical conditions to the web interface, but for now this is the only option (short of plugging a USB->UART adapter).
    Just tried the telnet server and successfully got log output, but I'll wait until Philippe/Chill send a replacement SqueezeAmp before pursuing this further, let's see if the pauses I'm getting persists on a new unit.

Thanks for your help and support

Kev

One thing I was thinking of: does the "no reboot" issue happen as well when you press the tiny reset button on the board once the power is connected? Can you try that say 20 times and if it always boots properly, then it might be that with some power supplies, the reset is not held low long enough after power connection. For the ones being bother by that problem and if you are handy with a solder iron, you can replace capacitor C32 (just below the audio jack, next + 1 SMD when counting from the 6 pin headers). It's a 100nF, replace it by a 1ĶF. Meanwhile, I'll run some tests to try to reproduce the issue.
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-02-17 at 00:36.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

One thing I was thinking of: does the "no reboot" issue happen as well when you press the tiny reset button on the board once the power is connected? Can you try that say 20 times and if it always boots properly, then it might be that with some power supplies, the reset is not held low long enough after power connection. For the ones being bother by that problem and if you are handy with a solder iron, you can replace capacitor C32 (just below the audio jack, next + 1 SMD when counting from the 6 pin headers). It's a 100nF, replace it by a 1ĶF. Meanwhile, I'll run some tests to try to reproduce the issue.
    I've been testing the power/startup issue since your post last night and so far, if it doesn't power/start up then pressing the reset button has worked every time, so looks like you could be onto something there. I've ordered some 1ĶF capacitors but if I keep this unit then there's a good chance I'll leave it be and just use the reset button if it doesn't power up properly. Those components are pretty small and it's quite tight to the headphone jack assuming I've got the correct capacitor from your description of it's location...

Name:  SqueezeAmpC32.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  68.7 KB

What's your thoughts on the sound quality issues I mentioned? The noise (pulsing hiss) in the right channel of the headphone jack is quite bad - effectively makes that unusable, I'll have to dig out some speakers to see if they also exhibit the noise, is that likey do you think? - maybe an amplifier issue?
    I have now, however, listened hardwired using the headphone jack long enough to be comfortable that the small pauses/pops in music playback are only on Bluetooth.
    With that in mind I've changed what I think is the sampling rate for bluetooth in the squeezelite command from 192000 to 96000 and so far that seems to have reduced the frequency of the pauses considerably, not discussed this with SLE118 yet and I'm still testing to be sure.

Kev

I forgot about the hissing noise, and that should definitively not happen. Iíve tested with headphones as well w/o problem.
    You do not have such a noise when using the amp, right? And thatís surprising because the amp is picking up exactly that analogue signal on the audio jack. Have you tried connecting the jack to another amp line-in?

About BT, what is the type of file youíre playing? Normally reducing from 192 to 96 only has an impact if you are sending files with such high sampling rate in which case it tells LMS to do resampling for anything above 96k.

The resampler part was what gave me most grief and I had to build a new one, I could not use soxr as it was overloading the system. So when you use BT in addition of sending high sample rate tracks , itís too much and that might be a reason as well. BT plus Wifi is very CPU intensive and just having these 2 coexist was another challenge for me.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

You do not have such a noise when using the amp, right?
    Not tested that yet, I'll have to dig out some speakers to see if the noise is also coming out of the speaker terminals - I'll report back on that when I've tested it.

And thatís surprising because the amp is picking up exactly that analogue signal on the audio jack.
    That's why I was asking if it was likely to affect both, so when I connect speakers to the terminals I should expect to hear the same noise.

Have you tried connecting the jack to another amp line-in?
    No, so I'll also dig out the cables required to feed it into my Sound bar to test

About BT, what is the type of file youíre playing? Normally reducing from 192 to 96 only has an impact if you are sending files with such high sampling rate in which case it tells LMS to do resampling for anything above 96k.
    MP3's of varying quality - some ripped to 128Kbps most ripped to VBR (0-320Kbps), also tried the one flac rip I have and a 48Kbps radio stream, I've had the breaks in music on all of them.

The resampler part was what gave me most grief and I had to build a new one, I could not use soxr as it was overloading the system. So when you use BT in addition of sending high sample rate tracks , itís too much and that might be a reason as well. BT plus Wifi is very CPU intensive and just having these 2 coexist was another challenge for me.
    OK I can understand the difficulties here, so we could just be on the limits.

I can't get any BT output at the moment, so I'll power it down and give it a break for a while.

Thanks for your help on this.

Kev

Hi,

i have tried to reproduce the error but i did not succeed.
    One thing I was thinking of: does the "no reboot" issue happen as well when you press the tiny reset button on the board once the power is connected?
    which reset button do you mean ? i can't find one or do you mean the switch S2 ?

denhorst

Quote Originally Posted by denhorst View Post

which reset button do you mean ?
    This one, marked in red... Although RST isn't actually printed on the board.

Name:  SqueezeAmprst.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  67.6 KB

Kev
    Last edited by KeBul; 2020-02-17 at 13:05.

I, too, would like to thank all involved in this project.

When you'll receive a SqueezeAMP, it is shipped with a default firmware that broadcasts a WiFi AP with a unique SSID. From any WiFi device, connect to it ("squeeezelite" is the default password) and you set it up to connect to your WiFi network. Then, once you have an IP from your WiFi network, use the built-in webserver http://<IP> and go into the firmware menu to update the board with the actual SqueezeliteESP32 firmware.
    I've never dealt with a headless device with no ethernet connection. If my wifi ssid/password changes, how do I get to the default firmware to allow my to start over?

Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mboxler View Post
    I, too, would like to thank all involved in this project.

I've never dealt with a headless device with no ethernet connection. If my wifi ssid/password changes, how do I get to the default firmware to allow my to start over?

Thanks, Mike
    When the device can't find the WiFi AP it was connnected to, it reverse back to be an AP