Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Radio: Volume Knob Erratic

Hi,

I have been using a Radio for 5 years now and haven't changed anything lately.

Since a couple of months, the volume knob is erratic. Example turn down: Sometimes it works but very slowly, sometimes it gets lower and higher in exchange, sometimes it actually gets louder. Sometimes it takes you 10s to reduce the volume (which are long if the music is way too loud). Turning quickly does not help. The digits and the perceived volume match. Pressing the volume knob mutes the device reliably.

Control over a tablet with Squeezer is flawless.

Am I right in thinking this is a hardware problem? Has anybody ever changed a potentiometer successfully?

Any workaround directly on the Radio? I thought I had remembered you could push the volume and then use the big dial, but that was probably on the Duet controller.

Regards,

martin
    ---
    LMS 7.9. NAS: QNAP ARM. Streaming: Duet, Radio. Controller: Duet, Android Squeezer. Amp: Denon 3310. Speakers: Canton 2xM80 + 2xCM7 + 2xM20 + Sub Nubert.

Quote Originally Posted by Web_Engel View Post
    Am I right in thinking this is a hardware problem? Has anybody ever changed a potentiometer successfully?
    IIRC it's not a pot but an optical encoder - and the problem is dust/dirt. Volume control is done via software via LMS.

edit:
    see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ume-pot-faulty

Radio: Volume Knob Erratic

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    IIRC it's not a pot but an optical encoder - and the problem is dust/dirt. Volume control is done via software via LMS.

edit:
    see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ume-pot-faulty
    Isnĺt it the same rotary encoder than the Boom? If it is, itĺs EoL but I bought a few spares
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5