Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Pi Zero in OTG Mode and PicorePlayer

Hi,

For a DIY project (squeezebox radio with Screen based on Raspberry 3 + 4" Screen + Phat Beat with PicorePlayer & Jivelite ) I bought an hyperpixel screen.
    Unfortunately this screen needs all the GPIOs of my Raspberry so that I can't plug the Phat Beat.

Since I have a Pi Zero left (without wifi nor Ethernet) I am looking for a solution based on this raspberry pi Zero before looking for a more expansive solution.

I know that PI Zero support USB on the go (OTG Mode)
    => I was wondering if there was something possible thanks to this OTG capability.
    Is it possible to connect the Pi Zero (with the Phat Beat on its GPIO) through USB to the Pi 3, both running PicorePlayer and to have the pi zero recognised as an USB DAC by the Pi 3 ?

After some search I am not very optimistic but who knows.. ? ;-)

Any Idea ?

Many Thanks

Luc

Hi lucc31,

The PCP ecosystem does support what you need, but in a different way.
    If you have trouble to get the the phat beat connected on the same pi as your screen does reside the network can help.
    BTW I use it an almost same setup here.

Use the zero with an external ethernet ( wired , or wifi ) some decent power adapter as it powers the tiny amp, and run it headless.
    Use the pi 3 with screen and jivelite , and choose the squeezelite on the pi-zero.
    Now you can control the player as if it was inside the main box.
    The wifi network link does allow me to place the player/amp across the room without the lineout or speaker wires running from my main player/LMS instance.

A word on the wifi usage: We all warn here for less than optimal results with wifi. If you know that you are doing and avoid the known issues, you can use it with a lot of satisfaction, but start with wired networks to avoid issues and certainly keep your LMS server on a wired node.

regards M-H
    Pi based multi-room audio system powered by PiCorePlayer(s):
    Pi3B with Phat-dac in a Rasptouch, 2 pi B+ with Cirrus Logic Audio Card, Pi Zero with Phat-beat , and a few other tests...

Quote Originally Posted by M-H View Post
    Hi lucc31,

The PCP ecosystem does support what you need, but in a different way.
    If you have trouble to get the the phat beat connected on the same pi as your screen does reside the network can help.
    BTW I use it an almost same setup here.

Use the zero with an external ethernet ( wired , or wifi ) some decent power adapter as it powers the tiny amp, and run it headless.
    Use the pi 3 with screen and jivelite , and choose the squeezelite on the pi-zero.
    Now you can control the player as if it was inside the main box.
    The wifi network link does allow me to place the player/amp across the room without the lineout or speaker wires running from my main player/LMS instance.

A word on the wifi usage: We all warn here for less than optimal results with wifi. If you know that you are doing and avoid the known issues, you can use it with a lot of satisfaction, but start with wired networks to avoid issues and certainly keep your LMS server on a wired node.

regards M-H
    Hi M-H,

Thanks for your answer,
    I think I came to the setup identical to what you describe : now the config is :

[LMS] <------wlan0-------> [PI3 + JIVELITE] <-------eth0----------> [PIZERO + PICOREPLAYER]

The issue is : how to make picoreplayer seen by LMS as a player.
    I guess I have to configure the PI3 as a router to enable connection between PIZERO and LMS..?

Regards

Luc