Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SB3 randomly resetting.

Hi,

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 1578996832 @ Tue Jan 14 12:15:02 CET 2020
    Hostname:
    Server IP Address:
    Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.26.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Audio::Scan: 0.95
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.060
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
    Total Players Recognized: 4

For the last while my SB3 has been randomly resetting midway through playback. Anywhere from 5 to 500 second intervals, playback stops and the Logitech screen appears and 20 seconds later you can play music again. Starting to really frustrate me. There has also been some instances of tracks been truncated and it will play the next track as if everything is fine - no idea if this is related.

The crash/reset does not happen with any of my other players. I havent noticed any truncating on other players
    I have done 2 factory resets of the SB3 and forced a firmware upgrade which prob slowed them down for a bit but...
    I am trying to find another power supply to rule that out (its not original nor genuine, prob the 3rd one since new).
    This device must be 15? years old and worked flawlessly aside from power supplies dying.
    IIRC the only active plugin is IRBlaster which has been used since day 1.

I just checked the server.log and found the whole file was full of entries like;

[20-03-29 18:07:29.0456] Slim::Control::Request::renderAsArray (2233) Error: request should set useIxHashes in Slim::Control::Request->new()
    [20-03-29 18:07:29.0460] Slim::Control::Request::renderAsArray (2233) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 2233)
    frame 1: Slim::Control::Request::renderAsArray (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Web/Cometd.pm line 940)
    frame 2: Slim::Web::Cometd::requestCallback (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Web/Cometd.pm line 791)
    frame 3: Slim::Web::Cometd::__ANON__ (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 2058)
    frame 4: (eval) (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 2058)
    frame 5: Slim::Control::Request::notify (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 859)
    frame 6: Slim::Control::Request::checkNotifications (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver line 708)
    frame 7: main::idle (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver line 677)
    frame 8: main::main (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver line 1210)

Is anyone able to decode this backtrace ? Could it be related to or cause the problems that I am having ? Known issue ?

thanks

adding full server log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

SB3 randomly resetting.

If you read the threads about SB3, you’ll see it’s likely due to failing capacitors that need to be replaced.
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-03-29 at 23:36.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    If you read the threads about SB3, you’ll see it’s likely due to failing capacitors that need to be replaced.
    Thanks Philippe,

I should have searched for SB3 issues first..I was hoping that the log error would perhaps eliminate some potential causes.

When it happened to me, it was a faulty PSU......these things are getting old :-)

Quote Originally Posted by macsat View Post
    When it happened to me, it was a faulty PSU......these things are getting old :-)
    Just out of interest... I have tried with a different power supply, which I believe to be good, with the same intermittent crashing. No load voltage for both of them was just under 5v. At some point I will disassemble the SB3 and measure the voltage under load.

The really interesting thing is that I have powered off the SB3 for a few days now but I am still getting these errors....

I have replaced this player with squeezelite from my server so undecided if I will bother with the replace caps route.. but I *really* do miss IRBlaster and having a display (to a lesser extent)...

Quote Originally Posted by davemal View Post
    Just out of interest... I have tried with a different power supply, which I believe to be good, with the same intermittent crashing. No load voltage for both of them was just under 5v. At some point I will disassemble the SB3 and measure the voltage under load.

The really interesting thing is that I have powered off the SB3 for a few days now but I am still getting these errors....
    useIxHashes is a strange error which has been investigated, reason not clear but not related to SB3 crashes.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...useIxHashes-in

Beside PSU , other common reason for crashes - dying WLAN card (even if SB3 is wired) . SB3 will work without it- replacement are cheap and relatively easy to find.

https://lowtek.ca/roo/2011/squeezebox-classic-repair/

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    useIxHashes is a strange error which has been investigated, reason not clear but not related to SB3 crashes.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...useIxHashes-in

Beside PSU , other common reason for crashes - dying WLAN card (even if SB3 is wired) . SB3 will work without it- replacement are cheap and relatively easy to find.

https://lowtek.ca/roo/2011/squeezebox-classic-repair/
    Thanks...interesting that my searches didnt reveal this thread.

You reminded me that I hadnt ruled out the wi-fi card. Removed and its still crashing...grrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by davemal View Post
    Thanks...interesting that my searches didnt reveal this thread.

You reminded me that I hadnt ruled out the wi-fi card. Removed and its still crashing...grrrrrr
    As said, capacitors likely ... I did another one a few weeks ago and it works like new. Joe did an excellent blog entry https://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/...x-classic.html
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5