Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Sync players skipping

Hi

I seem to have a new issue

I have two SB3 players synced together, I have Slimserver installed on Ubuntu Linux x64 on an Intel NUC running ESXi. I am playing exclusively FLAC files. The two players are hardwired across GB ethernet, and pings to both players and server are a 100% solid 1ms response time with no drops.

When I have the players synced, and one player is off, I've suddenly started to get jumps in the music, every 20-30 seconds. Tiny jumps, not gaps, but enough to be noticeable. If I disable sync, the problem goes away.

All has worked perfectly for...well...years. But I've now started to get this problem.

I don't know if there's a link or not, but I am getting nightlies every couple of weeks (manually) so I don't know if this relates to a recent nightly. I know there is a setting in the GUI to control how far the music is allowed to drift, but if only one of the synced players is switched on then that shouldn't matter.

Thoughts?

Many thanks.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimwillsher View Post
    Thoughts?
    Enable LMS logging to see what is happening

Start with the sync logging (player.sync) - to see if there is some sync action happening ? It seem likely as problem goes away if players are not synced.

Other possibility is the LMS server is checking off player every so often and waiting for a player response and the timeout is blocking LMS activity - hypothesis not based on anything I know for sure but it would be 2nd thing I check.

Apologies for the delay, I've been away with work, but thank you very much for the quick reply anyway.

I never got a chance to delve but unticking "maintain synchronisation" has made the problem go away, so I'm happy with that. The players are in separate rooms so no-one will notice any slight differences.

Jim