Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS dying and restarting every 5 secs (7.9.2, Debian 10 i386)

Just newly installed Debian 10.2 minimal (no desktop) system, and LMS 7.9.2. Realising that LMS GUI service wasn't responding either from LAN device, or from localhost, checking the log reveals LMS is reporting "Logitech Media Server died. Restarting." This same log entry occurs every 5 seconds, even an hour or so after boot and starting LMS. i imagine that the lack of LMS GUI is purely due to LMS dropping out and restarting.

There are no entries in syslog, other than the initial systemd note that LMS is starting. (There are only a couple or so more entries in syslog after that, but just to do with other (non LMS) remnants from the boot process. Syslog on this machine is silent after the initial system startup is complete.)

Server is a 32bit Atom processor with 512 MB RAM, and swap; Debian 10 minimum system requirements (in this non-desktop configuration) are 256 MB ram, plus swap. Disc space is 150 GB. The only services running are LMS and SSH(d).

Server is wired, static IP, fully functioning, and on same LAN segment as other servers, client machines, and the SB players. On this LAN segment there is also our existing SBS v7.5 (different IP address, of course), to which the players (Duet, and Touch) are communicating. I've installed this new LMS because our existing SBS won't run some updated plug-ins and I'm hoping a newer system will restore the capabilities. I hope to simply be able to tell the players to 'switch library' and look at a different SBS/LMS.

The new LMS is not yet configured/settings, because I haven't been able to reach it.

Does anyone have any ideas why LMS might be stalling? At this stage, I'm not sure whether I've hit a Debian 10 problem, or an architecture problem due to the two LMS/SBS on the same segment, or a minimal processor config problem, or anything else, really.

Be grateful for any thoughts.

regards, Atlantic
    Last edited by Atlantic; 2019-11-17 at 11:55. Reason: Clarify which services are started

Perl version?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Perl would be 5.28.

I don't see any i386 binaries for perl 5.28 in LMS. That would explain the failure. Perl 5.24 is supported (Debian 9, I think).

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    Perl would be 5.28.

I don't see any i386 binaries for perl 5.28 in LMS. That would explain the failure. Perl 5.24 is supported (Debian 9, I think).
    More info here, I think. https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/issues/285

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    Oh, brilliant! The link you cited opens with the originator seeing exactly the same symptom. I need to check my installation and confirm that it's (still) on perl 5.28 in the '.2' release of Debian 10.

Then, Michael proposes rebuilding from the dev tree, using the buildme.sh . Looking at that buildme.sh file it seems to only go up to perl 5.26 - and it seems to matter because the file explicitly and separately tests for every version up to 5.26. I wonder if that approach means that the file needs changing to now accommodate perl 5.28.

In principle, rebuilding seems possible, though I might need some guidance for referencing 5.28, and for how to ensure that buildme.sh will build a 386 version (I couldn't see that in the script, though I didn't understand it all).

Good find, very helpful.

Atlantic

I built on Debian 10, Perl 5.28 for another unsupported architecture, Debian’s armel, without issue. The script found my installed Perl, which was 5.28, without fuss.

Singling out the build products you want is slightly gnarly, only the binaries, basically, plus one other.

I posted my armel result by way of a commit to a forked LMS, it might give you a head start in sorting out what’s wanted.

https://github.com/mw9/slimserver/co...3f1c90790a03fa

I found no need to specify the architecture, it uses the platform architecture. I don't know if there are any intel wrinkles to that, though.

I made up the attached 'dummy' package, which depends on all the build package requirements. Helps with installing the build dependencies, and clearing them away when done.

Install this package to bring in what you need. Uninstalling (should) remove them all afterwards.
    Attached Files Attached Files