Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Plans if Logitech pulls the plug ?

Hi

I just discovered LMS a few months ago and I'm extremely happy with it, far better (with the inclusion of all the streaming services as well as local files) than all the other music servers I've used.

As far as I've understood, LMS originated in Logitech hardware that is no longer produced, and using LMS is still dependant on Logitech itself keeping certain services running. For example, I understand e.g Tidal support is dependant on Logitech maintaining a license agreement with Tidal.

What happens when/if they decide to not do this anymore ? Are there any possibilities to keep LMS going or could it be dead any day if Logitech decides to no longer support it ?

> As far as I've understood, LMS originated in Logitech hardware that is
    > no longer produced, and using LMS is still dependant on Logitech itself
    > keeping certain services running. For example, I understand e.g Tidal
    > support is dependant on Logitech maintaining a license agreement with
    > Tidal.
    >
    > What happens when/if they decide to not do this anymore ? Are there any
    > possibilities to keep LMS going or could it be dead any day if Logitech
    > decides to no longer support it ?

LMS will continue to work. But some of the music services will
    disappear, like eg. TIDAL. Until somebody comes up with an alternative
    implementation.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    >LMS will continue to work. But some of the music services will
    implementation.

--

Michael
    Perhaps the most troubling part of this is that these forums will disappear when Logitech pulls the plug. So will the wiki and any other information sources still on slimdevices.com. I think the loss of all that knowledge will be far more serious than the shutdown of mysqueezebox.com.

Not quite ten years ago, as the old Nokia phone division was falling apart (prior to its "rescue" by Microsoft), it shut down its line of experimental, Linux-based smartphones. But before it pulled the plug on the website at maemo.org, some very dedicated users managed to put together a volunteer organization to take over the website, and it's still online today. It's not exactly a hive of activity, but I just checked it out for the first time in many years, and I see current posts in the forum there.

Should we be thinking about attempting something similar?
    LMS (recent) running on Debian X86_64; 5 Squeezelite players (3 in PiCorePlayer), 3 players connected via Airplay Bridge
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

> Should we be thinking about attempting something similar?

This question has come up ever since Logitech announced the end of SB
    years ago. I'd wait until the real end has been announced. Unless you're
    willing to spend a lot of time, effort and ressources on moving elsewhere.

--

Michael

> As far as I've understood, LMS originated in Logitech hardware that is
    > no longer produced, and using LMS is still dependant on Logitech itself
    > keeping certain services running. For example, I understand e.g Tidal
    > support is dependant on Logitech maintaining a license agreement with
    > Tidal.
    >
    > What happens when/if they decide to not do this anymore ? Are there any
    > possibilities to keep LMS going or could it be dead any day if Logitech
    > decides to no longer support it ?

LMS will continue to work. But some of the music services will
    implementation.

--

Michael

I would happily pay a one-time lifetime subscription fee, like I've done with e.g. Subsonic music server, or even a monthly fee, if that could be a feasible solution to keep Tidal support etc. running when (I suppose saying if is just fooling myself....) Logitech withdraws. On top of the normal Tidal fee, of course. Could that be a feasible solution for what is essentially (if I understand correctly) then an open-source project ?
    Last edited by echable; 2020-01-22 at 00:23.

Quote Originally Posted by echable View Post
    I would happily pay a one-time lifetime subscription fee, like I've done with e.g. Subsonic music server, or even a monthly fee, if that could be a feasible solution to keep Tidal support etc. running when (I suppose saying if is just fooling myself....) Logitech withdraws. On top of the normal Tidal fee, of course. Could that be a feasible solution for what is essentially (if I understand correctly) then an open-source project ?
    Chances are any solution you think of today will be out of date if dreaded day arrives. Organisation like Tidal will not deal with individuals or communities - so something commercial would be necessary.

This topic appears every few years - people agonise over "what if" and often nothing stops.
    People worried that players would die - then Pi's appeared and now also SqueezeAMP
    People worried about no new plugins/development as many "veteran" developers withdrew - new guys stepped up.

It is likely some warning will be given so worry then and enjoy music now.

> This topic appears every few years - people agonise over "what if" and
    > often nothing stops.
    > People worried that players would die - then Pi's appeared and now also
    > SqueezeAMP
    > People worried about no new plugins/development as many "veteran"
    > developers withdrew - new guys stepped up.
    >
    > It is likely some warning will be given so worry then and enjoy music
    > now.

Nicely put - thanks bpa!

--

Michael

don't know how complete this would be, or how easy to search, but there is the "wayback" machine at archive.org.
    https://web.archive.org/web/*/slimdevices
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I have been using a Squeezebox Touch for 8 years and have been hearing fears of it becoming obsolete for many years. I figured I would have had to replace it by now due to lack of support. But now I am enjoying it more than I ever have due to new plugins that continue to appear from developers keeping the LMS updated to current trends.
    I especially like the Qobuz and Radio Paradise plugins developed by Michael as they work flawlessly for me and enjoy them daily.
    Agree with the assessment bpa made about worrying later and enjoying the music now!

> Should we be thinking about attempting something similar?

This question has come up ever since Logitech announced the end of SB
    years ago. I'd wait until the real end has been announced. Unless you're
    willing to spend a lot of time, effort and ressources on moving elsewhere.

--

Michael
    Thanks. No, I confess, I'm like the mouse who suggests tying a bell to the cat in an old fable. I'm willing to suggest action, but not to undertake it myself. I think you understand how Logitech operates better than anyone else, so if you are confident that there will be enough advance warning of a shutdown, I accept that.

I do want to emphasize that I am NOT as concerned about technical issues as with social and informational aspects. If we should find one morning that mysqueezebox.com has been shut down and the slimdevices sites are no longer accessible, it is true that LMS installations will still work and all services that do not depend on msb.com will continue to work. But the community of users may be scattered and crucial information may be lost.

Note that I say these things "may" happen, not that they certainly will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    don't know how complete this would be, or how easy to search, but there is the "wayback" machine at archive.org.
    https://web.archive.org/web/*/slimdevices
    Thanks for that. I should have thought of the internet archive. That may be a valuable resource. However, so far my attempts to access any content there have failed. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I wonder if it's working for anyone else.

I do not intend to lose any sleep over this, but I hope we are not setting ourselves up to be blindsided.
    LMS (recent) running on Debian X86_64; 5 Squeezelite players (3 in PiCorePlayer), 3 players connected via Airplay Bridge
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired