Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Extreme difference in library scan times between servers?

> echable wrote:
    >> Thanks for the tip on the update - how can I be automatically notified
    >> about these updates?

> Why isn't there a normal Synology package repository/ advice about the
    > update showing up in package centre like with other packages!
    >
    >
    > Synology doesn't allow me to push LmsUpdate to the Package Center.

Would you be able to include a Slim/Utils/OS/Custom.pm file? This then
    could use LMS own update check mechanism in some way.

--

Michael

> "Maximum" means that LMS' database cache is set to grow to a maximum of
    > 500MB.

No, it's basically unlimited.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    It should be a A1 certified card (not A2, as they are not well supported on Linux, and are actually slower in practice)

You should use something that can monitor and log the whole scan process, as the workload varies depending on the scan phase (see below)

"Maximum" means that LMS' database cache is set to grow to a maximum of 500MB. However, I run it with this setting, and it allocates 170MB initially, and 280M after a couple of hours of using it. After several rescans (new & changed), and loading the metadata of ~6000 tracks, it's now 360MB. Even with heavy usage, I've yet to see it grow larger than 500MB (NB: numbers are for ARM64 (RPI3) and ARM (Odroid HC2) platforms)

Attachment 28570

Breaking down your results:

I/O (find tracks) bound (for empty library) or I/O (find tracks) and CPU (for new & changed). Some slowdown due to network drive might be expected, but if this was a clear/rescan, is's a lot. Maybe slow network or slow NAS share.
    btw, to improve XU4 network speed, see here. May or may not be default for your distro.

Mixture of I/O (read tracks, write database) and CPU (database). Which one is the bottleneck will depend on your specific setup. You'll have to do some monitoring on your system.

All of these are CPU-bound.

Unless there's something weird going on on your NAS, my guess is that your NAS has a really weak CPU which is the bottleneck. While the Atoms are the slowest Intel CPUs, it's still surprising to see one with a lower single-core performance than an ARM design. However, the Atom CE5335 seems obscure enough that I can't even find a datasheet (it appears to be a design from 2011).
    True dat, I hate my tech reviews, where are the reliable ones ? This got great reviews when it came out, it's been nothing but a slow mess since I got it. Synology has a good OS and I suppose you can get them with good CPUs, this one has "hardware transcoding" which was what sold me because I was supposed to use it to store my video library, it's never been usable for that purpose, basically no files need transcoding anyway I've discovered. The processor is called "Evansport" and Synology's own Video Station and, unusually, an independent port of Serviio can use the HW transcoding ability, however, since the ram is so small and everything runs so slow it's useless. And I paid 2500E+ for the thing! (including the disks, which are okay I guess, I could get a new NAS and reuse the disks). The only thing is good for is as data storage for SBCs, i'm so glad I discovered them.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdot View Post
    Difference in scanned files could be a permission issue on the server. So, check the top folder's permission and apply these setting to all underlying folders. This can easily be done in Files.
    Very interesting tip this, didn't try it until now, I assumed everything was correct. When I right-clicked music folder, went to "permissions tab", checked that everyone had read access, ticked the "apply this to all subfolders and files"-box, then apply - it went very quickly at first, as if all these settings had been applied already - then it started displaying specific files and folders names, as if these ones had to have these "new" permissions applied to them.

Why would this be ? I have never changed anything about this setting. Could I have downloaded music files that have had different permission settings set on them already, that they have then retained while downloaded to my NAS ? Or is that not how it works ?

Thanks for any input.

Don’t want to hijack the thread but a close friend and I observe a similar difference: On the same ~150k tracks library (mixed FLAC/MP3), I usually get between 8–15 minutes for an update scan, while his machine regularly takes much more than 20 hours for the same.

We both use the same LMS version and have the same settings, the machines differ as follows:

Mine:
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04, XFCE, Dell Optiplex 7010 (4-core i5-3470), 32 GB RAM, boot disc: 1TB SSD, music disc: 4TB HGST HDD.

His:
    Linux Mint 17.3 (based on Ubuntu 14.04), Cinnamon, Dell Optiplex 9010 (4-core i7-3770), 16 GB RAM, boot+music disc: 4TB WD SSHD.

Could that really "only" be his slower DE and 16 GB less RAM, and/or running from a SSHD instead of an SSD/HDD combination?

> regularly takes much more than *20 hours* for the same.

20 hours is too much. Check the scanner.log file and the server's status
    page. Where is it spending all this time?

--

Michael

Will ask him when he’s back from his current business trip. Anything special to be looked for, or any debug settings to be made?

> Will ask him when he’s back from his current business trip. Anything
    > special to be looked for, or any debug settings to be made?

The scan times from Settings/Information would already be a good start.

--

Michael

Good to see Moonbase again, I love ur ver of vbrfix.

Anyway, here is something that seems like it's still needed:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ack-calculator
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations