Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SkinManager error - what does that mean?

During the last days I found several error messages in server.log regarding "SkinManager":

[19-11-10 14:13:50.8753] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1256) Warning: [14:13:50.8745] Use of uninitialized value $name in hash element at /usr/local/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Template/Context.pm line 100.
    [19-11-10 14:13:50.8763] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1256) Warning: [14:13:50.8756] Use of uninitialized value $shortname in substitution (s///) at /usr/local/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Template/Context.pm line 116.
    [19-11-10 14:13:50.8774] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1256) Warning: [14:13:50.8767] Use of uninitialized value $name in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/local/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Template/Context.pm line 168.
    [19-11-10 14:13:50.8784] Slim::Web::Template::SkinManager::_fillTemplate (346) Error: file error - : not found

Does anyone know what this means and how to solve this problem?
    Carsten

SkinManager error - what does thatmean?

> During the last days I found several error messages in server.log
    > regarding "SkinManager":

Anything that changed in your setup? New OS update (which one anyway?)?
    Perl update? Plugin update?

--

Michael

> Anything that changed in your setup? New OS update (which one anyway?)?

It is a Synology Diskstation DS213+. The HDD on which the applications were installed (HDD 1 of 2) started to die. I was able to save the @appstore/SqueezeCenter folder where LMS (7.9.2 - 0027.1571226194) was installed, then changed the HDD and installed the packages again. After that I edited the previously saved server.prefs file (see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post954000) and copied it back.

>Perl update? Plugin update?

Just updates that came in automatically.

One thing is: When I noticed that the HDD had problems, I tried a bash script on the Diskstation that should have moved the apllications from HDD 1 to HDD 2 but it did not work. But after the replacement of HDD 1 and a new installation of LMS, I noticed the LMS was now running from HDD 2 (the expected @appstore/SqueezeCenter folder on HDD 1 does not exist). Of course, I changed every path in server.prefs that led to /volume1/@appstore/SqueezeCenter to /volume2/@appstore/SqueezeCenter before I copied the saved server.prefs back.
    Carsten

SkinManager error - what does thatmean?

> It is a Synology Diskstation DS213+. The HDD on which the applications
    > were installed (HDD 1 of 2) started to die. I was able to save the
    > @appstore/SqueezeCenter folder where LMS (7.9.2 - 0027.1571226194) was
    > installed, then changed the HDD and installed the packages again. After
    > that I edited the previously saved server.prefs file (see
    > https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post954000)
    > and copied it back.

Start by deleting the cache/templates sub-folder.

Are you using any 3rd party plugins? Disable them and see whether that
    changes the behaviour.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    > Anything that changed in your setup? New OS update (which one anyway?)?

It is a Synology Diskstation DS213+. The HDD on which the applications were installed (HDD 1 of 2) started to die. I was able to save the @appstore/SqueezeCenter folder where LMS (7.9.2 - 0027.1571226194) was installed, then changed the HDD and installed the packages again. After that I edited the previously saved server.prefs file (see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post954000) and copied it back.

>Perl update? Plugin update?

Just updates that came in automatically.

One thing is: When I noticed that the HDD had problems, I tried a bash script on the Diskstation that should have moved the apllications from HDD 1 to HDD 2 but it did not work. But after the replacement of HDD 1 and a new installation of LMS, I noticed the LMS was now running from HDD 2 (the expected @appstore/SqueezeCenter folder on HDD 1 does not exist). Of course, I changed every path in server.prefs that led to /volume1/@appstore/SqueezeCenter to /volume2/@appstore/SqueezeCenter before I copied the saved server.prefs back.
    The inference from your comments about volume1 and volume2 are that you are not running in RAID1 mode - is this correct?
    I ask because every 2 disk NAS I have ever come across defaults to RAID1 becuase that is the normal way its used.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

> Start by deleting the cache/templates sub-folder.

I did this now, added some music files and performed a scan, navigated through the menus... no more SkinManager error messages. It looks like the mistake does not happen again.

> The inference from your comments about volume1 and volume2 are that you are not running in RAID1 mode - is this correct?

Yes, this is no RAID - just two separate volumes.

> I ask because every 2 disk NAS I have ever come across defaults to RAID1 becuase that is the normal way its used.

I operated the device for a long time with only one hard disk. When I added the second one, I could have made them a RAID but in this case I would have to backup the first disk completely as the Diskstation Manager (DSM) told me that all data would be erased when creating a RAID. Okay, a RAID-1 would have saved me a lot of trouble. I am really thinking about a new server device with fault tolerance (I tend towards FreeBSD and ZFS).
    Carsten