Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    120

    radio stream fails to play on some players

    I sometimes listen to the HD-2 stream from jazz station WBGO in Newark. Today was the first time I had tried it in several weeks, maybe months. It played as expected on most of my players, but two of them produced no sound, even though the progress bar and counter indicated that it was playing. I first tried the TuneIn url, which I have bookmarked. When that didn't work, I tried this url, obtained from the station's web site, with the same results: http://wbgo.streamguys.net/thejazzstream .

    I usually have eight players running, all synchronized using the Group Players plugin. Three players are Airplay devices, using the Airplay bridge and connected by wi-fi. Three are PiCorePlayer instances: one running on a Pi 3B and connected by ethernet, two Pi Zero-W's on wi-fi. All three are running PCP 5, with Squeezelite version v1.9.2-1158-pCP. One player is a 32-bit netbook running Debian 8 with Squeezelite v1.9.0-1119, connected by ethernet. The remaining player is Squeezelite v1.9.0-1119, running on the same 64-bit Linux machine as LMS, also running Debian 8.

    The two players that will not play the WBGO HD-2 stream are the one running on the LMS server, and the Pi 3B.

    The first three times this happened, there were error messages in the LMS log that appeared to correspond to the attempts to play the stream: "Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::checkBin (275) couldn't find binary for: wmadec"

    Later attempts have not produced error messages,

    I tried playing the stream on the Squeezelite instance running on the LMS server, without any other players synchronized to it, but it still produced no sound, although it appeared to play.

    I have also tried running Squeezelite v1.9.0-1119 on another computer running 64-bit Linux and connected over ethernet. The stream played correctly on that machine.

    I have also rebooted the LMS server with no change. (LMS version: 7.9.2 - 1572699180 @ Sat Nov 2 14:13:52 CET 2019)

    Any suggestions as to what I might try next? Or would it be more appropriate to assume that this is a Squeezelite problem and move it to the Linux forum?

    Incidentally, the same station's main stream at http://wbgo.streamguys.net/wbgo128 plays correctly on all players.
    LMS (recent) running on Debian X86_64; 5 Squeezelite players (3 in PiCorePlayer), 3 players connected via Airplay Bridge
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    120
    Looks like the sample rate is likely to be the problem. That's a 32Khz stream. I don't know if that's always been the case.
    LMS (recent) running on Debian X86_64; 5 Squeezelite players (3 in PiCorePlayer), 3 players connected via Airplay Bridge
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    2,919
    Your first stream works for me (pasted into TuneIn url)

    Name:  aajazz stream.png
Views: 52
Size:  82.0 KB

    maybe a transcoding error

    ronnie

    Edit;

    rpi4b, Raspbian Desktop OS

    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 1572699180 @ Sat Nov 2 14:15:45 CET 2019
    Hostname: raspberrypi
    Server IP Address: 192.168.1.5
    Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: armv7l-linux
    Perl Version: 5.28.1 - arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
    Audio::Scan: 1.02
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.060
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
    Total Players Recognized: 1
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2019-11-10 at 02:09.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    17,920
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Looks like the sample rate is likely to be the problem. That's a 32Khz stream. I don't know if that's always been the case.
    Some DAC are not capable of playing 32kHz so the problem devices may be playing squeezelite with no resampling selected/built-in and/or ALSA device with no software conversion.

    First - update all squeezelite to same version and same build capabilities - it'll then be obvious whether problem is squeezelite or ALSA output device.

    The if problem still remains.

    Two choices for problem devices
    1. Choose ALSA device which have software conversion.
    2. Enabling squeezelite to resampling for unsupported bitrates / minimium bitrate of 44.1kHz

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    120
    Thanks, Ronnie and bpa, for your help. I apologize that I was not clear about my second post. Once I discovered that the problem stream was 32K, I considered the problem solved. Both problem machines are using the same model usb DAC. It's old and totally undistinguished, and I've had issues before with its limited support for sampling rates. That's why my local collection now has no files with sampling rates below 44K. I will change the Squeezelite startup commands on those machines accordingly.
    LMS (recent) running on Debian X86_64; 5 Squeezelite players (3 in PiCorePlayer), 3 players connected via Airplay Bridge
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •