Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to tag a lot of non-album tracks?

Hi all

As well as having full cd's I also have quite a lot 'orphaned' songs of which I would like to correct the tags.
    I mostly use mp3tag but tagging these files is a real pita.
    Now I tried with picard musicbrainz but most of the songs are identified as being part of compilation cd's so even dates are wrong.

Is there a better way to achieve this?

Thanks!
    R.
    pCP v5.0.0 on all players
    LMS 7.9.2 on Debian Buster server in a Linux Container
    RPi 3B+ with Hifiberry AMP2 and official 7" touchscreen (Squeezelite + Jivelite), +27k titles on SMB share
    RPi B as dedicated player, connected over wifi with USB dongle
    RPi 2B as dedicated player, connected over powerline
    RPi Zero W as dedicated player
    Squeezer on Android to control

I'm sure there's all kinds of ways to handle this. My way is to have them all in the same folder and I've set the Album Title to "Singles" and the Album Artist to "Various" and the Track Artist to the actual performer of the track.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

That's a way too.

I do have them in separate folders.
    I wonder if it's possible to get the correct dates, genre and album titles in some way, without doing this manually since I already have spent a lot of time on this.
    Especially dates and genre are important for advanced searches.
    pCP v5.0.0 on all players
    LMS 7.9.2 on Debian Buster server in a Linux Container
    RPi 3B+ with Hifiberry AMP2 and official 7" touchscreen (Squeezelite + Jivelite), +27k titles on SMB share
    RPi B as dedicated player, connected over wifi with USB dongle
    RPi 2B as dedicated player, connected over powerline
    RPi Zero W as dedicated player
    Squeezer on Android to control

Quote Originally Posted by Rnee View Post
    I wonder if it's possible to get the correct dates, genre and album titles in some way, without doing this manually since I already have spent a lot of time on this.
    You shouldn't expect too much 'correctness' from external tag sources. Especially the genre tag is a quite subjective matter, maybe except for basic classifications like Jazz or Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    I'm sure there's all kinds of ways to handle this. My way is to have them all in the same folder and I've set the Album Title to "Singles" and the Album Artist to "Various" and the Track Artist to the actual performer of the track.
    Doesn't that cause issues with cover art?
    IIRC LMS reads the first track in a folder for cover art and uses that if its available. If not it looks for folder.jpg or cover.jpg.
    How do you handle it?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Doesn't that cause issues with cover art?
    IIRC LMS reads the first track in a folder for cover art and uses that if its available. If not it looks for folder.jpg or cover.jpg.
    How do you handle it?
    My cover art in my whole library is all as stand alone *.jpg files, no embedded cover art in any of my music media files. I have front cover, back cover, inside pages .jpg files and any .pdf booklets for an album in the album folder too so that I can use the "Music and Artist Information" plugin for viewing these. My folder that I keep my "Singles" in has a single Folder.jpg of my own design to represent my singles collection.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

My cover art in my whole library is all as stand alone *.jpg files, no embedded cover art in any of my music media files. I have front cover, back cover, inside pages .jpg files and any .pdf booklets for an album in the album folder too so that I can use the "Music and Artist Information" plugin for viewing these. My folder that I keep my "Singles" in has a single Folder.jpg of my own design to represent my singles collection.
    Thought that must be the case.

To the OP - if you want to preserve individual cover art but ensure that all singles are accessible in mp3tag in one hit then you need to adopt a file structure such as

Singles / Artist / Album / track(s)

That way you can point mp3tag at Singles and it will display the lot in one hit
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by Rnee View Post
    That's a way too.

I do have them in separate folders.
    I made a conscious decision that I don't care about the original album title / track # on that album for my singles in my singles folder. My tagging of my singles does have the correct dates and genres for each music file in the singles folder. If I end up acquiring an album that has a song in my singles folder, the song gets removed from the singles folder. My "Singles" album only has 48 songs in it. For the most part I'm an "Album" type person so my singles folder represents a minuscule percent of my +24K music files.
    Last edited by w3wilkes; 2019-11-07 at 09:15.

For any single tracks I have, I create an album folder, even if such album has only one track. I use the ALBUM tag as well (which may not actually be the album the single appeared on, if any, but is simply the name of the song itself). Years ago I used mp3tag to automate this (automatically create an album tag from song title, automatically create and save track within a new album folder, etc.). I also put the ALBUM folder underneath the ARTIST folder of the track artist.

I did all this because I found that my music server systems simply work better if every track is within an album of some sort, and every album folder is underneath an ARTIST folder.

EDIT: Do keep in mind that my singles are a tiny part of my collection. I have maybe a few hundred single tracks, but over 8,000 complete albums.
    Last edited by garym; 2019-11-07 at 09:26.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I made a conscious decision that I don't care about the original album title / track # on that album for my singles in my singles folder. My tagging of my singles does have the correct dates and genres for each music file in the singles folder. If I end up acquiring an album that has a song in my singles folder, the song gets removed from the singles folder. My "Singles" album only has 48 songs in it. For the most part I'm an "Album" type person so my singles folder represents a minuscule percent of my +24K music files.
    I have struggled getting the correct date for all my singles. (60s and 70s) Using musicbrainz got coverart, but then the year was usually the date of the compilation album's creation, not the actual single's release year. Had Sonny and Cher released in 1997 etc. I saw what was happening, and have found no automatic solution, so I have started a manual tagging process, Proper tagging takes time, but I believe the process is worth it with large collections with many genres etc. Currently I am using Puddletag but have started looking at Kid3.