Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Transporter came with the hard shiny plastic shell remote ... and that one is fine.
    It is the rounded remote that came with the SB1/2 (for me at least) that end up looking and feeling tacky.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    The Transporter came with the hard shiny plastic shell remote ... and that one is fine.
    It is the rounded remote that came with the SB1/2 (for me at least) that end up looking and feeling tacky.
    Agreed. It's rubber-coated things that get sticky. My 14-year old SB2 is now very sticky, but since I never touch it I've left it alone.

It's nothing to do with use. A quick Google suggests that it's due to the vulcanisation of the rubber breaking down, so the rubber starts turning back into its raw sticky state.

It's not just Squeezeboxes that are affected - anything with that "soft-feel" rubber coating has the same problem. My Atomic ski helmet got sticky and it took a long time and a lot of effort with isopropyl alcohol to remove the coating.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Sticky Surface on Remote Controls And The Rear Of A Touch

Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I can say that some of the items I have, that have gone "sticky" are not touched on a daily basis. Yes it is probably the product material used, starting to break down. The worst part of all of this is that the stickiness attracts dust, hair or whatever, that is floating around in everyones home. It's the buildup of these items, that actually alerts you to what has happened.

Yes I have the hard shell type remotes as well, its just a couple of the remotes that have become sticky.

I, in fact, usually control my Touch using Muso, which means I don't even touch the Touch at all. I also use Squeezer, installed on an android tablet and an android mobile phone, so yes I have alternatives to actually using the remotes. I also have JRiver on a computer that can also control devices.

It's just annoying that such quality items, no matter the make, all seem to be suffering this problem and generally no one has come up with a solution. In fact, it doesn't seem to get publicity either. We all seem to have our own remedies, that work in each case.

Manufacturers don't normally offer advice on the subject.

Once again, thanks for all the response. I will keep using Isopropyl Alcohol until I can find a definitive alternative.

Try using Denatured Alcohol. It works better than Isopropyl. I had a Harmony remote that began to get sticky and Denatured worked much better.