Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezelite settings - Output setting

I was having a difficult time getting my Allo USBridge USB operating. It was finally achieved by trying a different output setting in the squeezelite settings tab of the PCP. The question I have; if more than one option works, is one better than the other? In my case the options were:

Name:  Output settings.png
Views: 351
Size:  37.6 KB

I randomly choose the following:

Name:  Output settings 2.png
Views: 343
Size:  44.9 KB

Is there any other tuning be done on this page?

Once the USB is working to my satisfaction I am going to install my Allo DigiOne card (not DigiOne Sig)to the USBridge board. Should that function without issue with the output setting if the USB works?

Thanks - this is a very useful forum.

I presume that you are using the usb output on the bridge to connect into a DAC.

You can try any outpt at random (not the ones beginning with "surround", obviously )

try

Code:
    hw:CARD=Mirror,DEV=0
    When you attatch the Digione you will need to repeat the set-up procedure and see what options are offered.

This USB-bridge is a new board and not many people use it, so it would be helpful if you post your completed set-up back on the thread for reference.

ronnie

Is there any difference in sound or what it can read or whatever works ... works?

uSB devices are trick. Try them all to see what works.... then listen and pick the one you like. Those choices offered are purely the affect of your USB Dac. The USBridgeSig has nothing to do with the outputs listed.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Linux Architecture

I read in a website that:

"Warning: Simply setting a type hw as default card is equivalent to addressing hardware directly, which leaves the device unavailable to other applications. This method is only recommended if it is a part of a more sophisticated setup ~/.asoundrc or if user deliberately wants to address sound card directly (digital output through eic958 or dedicated music server for example)." further "In most cases it is recommended to use sound card names instead of number references, which also solves boot order problem."

It seems then if one wanted a dedicated setup as clean as possible then the "HW" output configuration should be used and it seems there should be no reason to use anything else. Does this make sense ro am I missing something? Would there be any improvement by any other configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by mflaten View Post
    I read in a website that:

"Warning: Simply setting a type hw as default card is equivalent to addressing hardware directly, which leaves the device unavailable to other applications. This method is only recommended if it is a part of a more sophisticated setup ~/.asoundrc or if user deliberately wants to address sound card directly (digital output through eic958 or dedicated music server for example)." further "In most cases it is recommended to use sound card names instead of number references, which also solves boot order problem."

It seems then if one wanted a dedicated setup as clean as possible then the "HW" output configuration should be used and it seems there should be no reason to use anything else. Does this make sense ro am I missing something? Would there be any improvement by any other configuration?

The way I see it - hw is direct to hardware with no messing or additions by ALSA subsysytem (e.g. no spying, no copying, no resampling , no equaliser). So player s/w has to create the audio stream that "hw" device can support. For example if hw device can only support 44.1kHz and 48kHz then player software has to upsample/downsample non 44.1/48 streams but resampling can be done to user chosen algorithms - with devices such as plughw ALSA will do resampling according to ALSA algorithms.