Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Library stored on FreeNas NFS share => possible ?

I am considering moving my LMS library off the older vortexbox hw onto a newer FreeNas platform. I would like to use NFS on the FreeNas box for the library.

I have the NFS share setup on the FreeNas box, copied some music folders over, and can access from a Linux client..

Do I simply need to mount the NFS share on the Vortexbox/LMS box to connect to the FreeNas share ? I was hoping there was a LMS plugin for freenas, but I think this is a work in progress ...

THX,

I have something similar. I have a freeNAS server , but exporting windows CIF's shares. The share is mounted from a raspberry PI running MAX2PLAY software. As long as your LMS host supports NFS clients i don't see an issue duplicating but with NFS,. I don't think we will see a LMS plugin for FreeNAS any time soon.
    2 Chan. System
    SB3->Benchmark DAC-1-> Bryston(BP-25,3B)->PMC TB2
    Home Theater System
    SB2-> Bryston(SP1,4B,4B,2B,2B)-> PSB Stratus Goldi
    Basement System
    Duet-> Parasound Preamp (carver M1.0t) ->Klipsch La Scala's
    Bedroom System
    SB2-> Sony BoomBox
    Rear Deck/Patio
    Duet-> Yamaha Reciever-> PSB Mini's,
    Office
    Squeezebox Boom
    Kitchen
    Squeeze Radio
    Ensuite
    Squeeze Radio

Yes.
    I have a VB LMS running on an SSD with storage on a Qnap mounted via NFS. I still rip the occasional CD on the VB and it rips direct to the Qnap.
    To avoid lots of hacking on the VB simply mount the NFS share as /storage
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by sfraser View Post
    I have something similar. I have a freeNAS server , but exporting windows CIF's shares. The share is mounted from a raspberry PI running MAX2PLAY software. As long as your LMS host supports NFS clients i don't see an issue duplicating but with NFS,. I don't think we will see a LMS plugin for FreeNAS any time soon.
    Thanks for posts -- Feeling bold with a fresh backup, I went ahead and

1. Created Ubuntu Server VM in Proxmox
    2. Installed/configured LMS 7.9.1 in VM using the wiki on this forum ... (worked like a charm)
    3. Copied Music folders across from Vortexbox to NFS share on FreeNAS
    4. Mounted NFS share on Ubuntu VM, and did a new library scan ...Both players discovered the new server automatically ...

Speed was good for scanning library for first time -- 10:43 to scan entire library (approx 50K files)

All in all a satisfying project, with plenty of room to grow for additional music...the only real feature of the Vortexbox I will miss is the auto-ripping of CDs to FLAC. Made adding new music so easy. I am not sure there is a way to other rippers (Asunder etc.) auto-rip ?

Quote Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
    Thanks for posts -- Feeling bold with a fresh backup, I went ahead and

1. Created Ubuntu Server VM in Proxmox
    2. Installed/configured LMS 7.9.1 in VM using the wiki on this forum ... (worked like a charm)
    3. Copied Music folders across from Vortexbox to NFS share on FreeNAS
    4. Mounted NFS share on Ubuntu VM, and did a new library scan ...Both players discovered the new server automatically ...

Speed was good for scanning library for first time -- 10:43 to scan entire library (approx 50K files)

All in all a satisfying project, with plenty of room to grow for additional music...the only real feature of the Vortexbox I will miss is the auto-ripping of CDs to FLAC. Made adding new music so easy. I am not sure there is a way to other rippers (Asunder etc.) auto-rip ?
    The VB auto-ripping has been broken on the cover art lookup front for some time so you've not really lost much. I have found myself using dbPoweramp on a PC but ripping directly to the NAS via a Windows mapped drive. I have an overnight re-scan job scheduled if I forget to initiate a rescan manually.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    The VB auto-ripping has been broken on the cover art lookup front for some time so you've not really lost much. I have found myself using dbPoweramp on a PC but ripping directly to the NAS via a Windows mapped drive. I have an overnight re-scan job scheduled if I forget to initiate a rescan manually.
    I just discovered that KODI has a setting to enable auto-ripping to FLAC upon insertion of the audio disk.via the player menu ... I have a kodi box with the TV and just tried it -- life is good -- it is also connected to the NFS share, so looks like I can rip to the Freenas music folder..

Here is the link on you tube that shows how to set it up ... takes about 3.5 minutes to setup

this thread is SOLVED !! Thank you for your replies...