Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Can I add a WiFi driver to pCP

    Hello
    I need an external WiFi driver for my player, Pi 3b+ and pCP.
    I have a RTL 8188eus usb adapter with an external antenna. I also have a driver disc with linux driver on it. Unfortunately pCP does not detect it. Is there any way to use this adapter with its drivers.
    Has anyone any ideas.
    Thanks
    diode84

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    2,860
    Found this on the t'internet

    https://zsiti.eu/wifi-rtl8188eu-raspberry-pi-zero/


    but that is just for Raspbian.


    It maybe a similar (but slightly different) procedure for piCoreplayer.

    If you have a spare card, you could check it out on a raspbian OS whilst waiting for the "team"

    ronnie

  3. #3
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,284
    Unfortunately drivers need compiled for the specific kernel, it appears that the source coded has a maintained source tree on git.

    https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu

    pCP does not suppor dkms, so you would have to compile the driver out of tree, which can be done, but it's a little tricky. (Google will give much help)

    I can look to adding this in the next pCP 6.0.0 beta.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

    Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Found this on the t'internet

    https://zsiti.eu/wifi-rtl8188eu-raspberry-pi-zero/


    but that is just for Raspbian.


    It maybe a similar (but slightly different) procedure for piCoreplayer.

    If you have a spare card, you could check it out on a raspbian OS whilst waiting for the "team"

    ronnie
    Thanks Ronnie but it is too complicated for my abilities at the moment.
    diode84

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Unfortunately drivers need compiled for the specific kernel, it appears that the source coded has a maintained source tree on git.

    https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu

    pCP does not suppor dkms, so you would have to compile the driver out of tree, which can be done, but it's a little tricky. (Google will give much help)

    I can look to adding this in the next pCP 6.0.0 beta.
    Thanks Paul
    I will wait for pCP 6 as I definitely do not have the skills.
    Still think pCP is brilliant.
    diode84

  6. #6
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,284
    so I started to look at this, odd that there is a rtl8188eu driver in the upstream kernel staging area. But I see others are using the 3rd party driver.

    Can you boot your pCP device with an ethernet cable, then after boot is done. insert your WIFI stick.
    Then open up the diagnostics page on your pCP player, and then look at the DMESG section.

    At the bottom you should see some kernel messages about the USB device.....I'm interested in a line like this..

    Code:
    [    1.861037] usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0424, idProduct=2514, bcdDevice= b.b3
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

    Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

  7. #7
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,284
    I removed the in-tree version of the rtl8188eu driver, and used the 3rd party driver. Can you try the latest 6.0.0 b6 image?
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

    Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    I removed the in-tree version of the rtl8188eu driver, and used the 3rd party driver. Can you try the latest 6.0.0 b6 image?
    Paul sorry I did not know you had replied, my mistake.
    I will try your suggestions tomorrow and get back.
    Where will I find pCP 6.0.0 b6
    Last edited by diode84; 2019-11-01 at 14:21.

  9. #9
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,284
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

    Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

  10. #10
    I have just tried 6.0.6 but it does not detect the WiFi adapted and asks for one to be connected.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •