Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Thanks Philippe - I've loaded that now. Took me a while to figure it out. I loaded it via TTL at 0x150000, which is where the current OTA version expects to find the squeezelite partition. What confused me is that, after a few wipes and reloads of everything, I think I needed to use the original 'nvs_set autoexec1 str -v "join <SSID> <password>"' command. Not really sure about that, since it still seems to get the sink names from NVS, so maybe it would have got my wifi credentials from there as well, but in the end I skipped that part in Recover mode and just rebooted, then 'joined' via my TTL adapter.

And the good news (for you at least!) is that now I'm running your partition the Airplay and BT sinks work a lot more reliably. I'm getting good playback over Airplay. The volume control seems fine - plenty of control - except that when my phone gets to maximum volume the sound cuts out. If I back off by one click it comes back.

I can also switch back and forth between AirPlay and BT fairly easily. I think I need to disconnect my phone from the BT sink before AP works, and obviously reconnect before switching back, but it all seems pretty reliable now. BT working fine from the next room.

Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    I did notice that interacting with the UI whole playing music may cause stuttering.
    I've seen that too.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Thanks Philippe - I've loaded that now. Took me a while to figure it out. I loaded it via TTL at 0x150000, which is where the current OTA version expects to find the squeezelite partition. What confused me is that, after a few wipes and reloads of everything, I think I needed to use the original 'nvs_set autoexec1 str -v "join <SSID> <password>"' command. Not really sure about that, since it still seems to get the sink names from NVS, so maybe it would have got my wifi credentials from there as well, but in the end I skipped that part in Recover mode and just rebooted, then 'joined' via my TTL adapter.

And the good news (for you at least!) is that now I'm running your partition the Airplay and BT sinks work a lot more reliably. I'm getting good playback over Airplay. The volume control seems fine - plenty of control - except that when my phone gets to maximum volume the sound cuts out. If I back off by one click it comes back.

I can also switch back and forth between AirPlay and BT fairly easily. I think I need to disconnect my phone from the BT sink before AP works, and obviously reconnect before switching back, but it all seems pretty reliable now. BT working fine from the next room.
    Could you clarify for me:
    Did you do a full wipe of the flash and than only upload the squeezelite. bin @ 0x150000? And that worked?
    (I thought we need also a bootloader.bin and partition.bin. Or did you take these from sle118 zip file and use the addresses provided in the zip?)
    I dont have my system at hand, so I can not try myself.

Quote Originally Posted by slimhase View Post
    Could you clarify for me:
    Did you do a full wipe of the flash and than only upload the squeezelite. bin @ 0x150000? And that worked?
    (I thought we need also a bootloader.bin and partition.bin. Or did you take these from sle118 zip file and use the addresses provided in the zip?)
    I dont have my system at hand, so I can not try myself.
    With hindsight it was probably sufficient to upload Philippe's partition over the current squeezelite partition, leaving the bootloader etc untouched. That was the first thing I tried, but when the UI didn't respond I dived in and did a full erase and reflash (by copying the contents of a recent ZIP file (v0.2.151) and replacing the squeezelite.bin with Philippe's). What I'd overlooked is that Philippe's partition doesn't have the same UI, so my original attempt was probably sufficient.

What I'm not clear on is whether Philippe's partition will get its configuration parameters from the same NVS partition. The reason I'm unsure is because I attempted to setup the BT and AirPlay sink names using the nvs_set commands, but it seemed to retain the original names (e.g. ESP32-BT). After a complete erase I used the 'nvs_set autoexec1 str -v "join <SSID> <password>"' command to connect to my wifi, so evidently some interaction with the NVS partition is taking place, but 'nvs_set bt_sink_name str -v "SQBT"' didn't seem to have any effect. 'nvs_set airplay_sink_name str -v "SQAP"' resulted in an error - suggesting that airplay_sink_name is too long a name.

The next thing I'm going to try is setting up some BT speakers, to see if the behaviour is any different with Philippe's partition.

There is no UI in my version and you need to set all names & config manually using nvs_set command. See my GH page for details.

The version that @sle118 and @daduke are working on has UI and OTA and is the future, but as said previously Iĺm struggling to use it and so Iĺve not been able to understand why there is a problem with my audio backend.

One thing for sure is that when you write parameter in nvs (so in flash) the audio will stutter a bit due to the nature of the flash and sram of the WROVER. They share the same QSPI bus and writing in flash is a slow process that blocks the bus so it freezes the CPU and locks the audio super real time sensitive processes
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    There is no UI in my version and you need to set all names & config manually using nvs_set command. See my GH page for details.
    Can you clarify where the data is stored when using the nvs_set command? The OTA version allows access to the parameters stored in NVS, but is this the same space that your partition uses to store NVS parameters? If I use the OTA version to set, for example, my wifi credentials, should I expect that your partition will read those credentials and join my wifi automatically.

This is a bit academic really (to me at least), because:
    1) once booted into your partition I can see no way to get back to the OTA Recovery partition, which is where the NVS parameters are accessed from, and
    2) I was only interested in testing your partition to see if the problems I was having were somehow specific to the OTA version. And it seems like they were. Using your partition I find that AirPlay is usable and reliable. In fact, both sinks seem to work really well.

Since my main usage is as an LMS client (squeezelite), which works really well in the OTA version, I'm going to switch back to the latest OTA version, and leave this little conundrum in the capable hands of you developers :-)

@chill: do you think you could design an acrylic-base case for the different options so that this could be shipped to everybody that wants a case but does not have a 3D printer. Acrylic could look nice as well. If there is success, that could give a good finishing touch
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    @chill: do you think you could design an acrylic-base case for the different options so that this could be shipped to everybody that wants a case but does not have a 3D printer. Acrylic could look nice as well. If there is success, that could give a good finishing touch
    Do you mean something laser cut from arcylic sheet? Something like this Raspberry Pi case?

I'd be happy to have a go. I don't have access to facilities to cut the acrylic myself, but I can of course test out the designs by 3D printing the pieces.

The shaping to hold battery terminals and to support the cells would not be possible with flat sheet, but I could imagine a couple of versions - one that simply holds the SqueezeAMP PCB, and one that has space for a 2x18500 or 3x18350 cell pack.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Do you mean something laser cut from arcylic sheet? Something like this Raspberry Pi case?

I'd be happy to have a go. I don't have access to facilities to cut the acrylic myself, but I can of course test out the designs by 3D printing the pieces.

The shaping to hold battery terminals and to support the cells would not be possible with flat sheet, but I could imagine a couple of versions - one that simply holds the SqueezeAMP PCB, and one that has space for a 2x18500 or 3x18350 cell pack.
    Yes, I'm thinking about something like that.

I found an unused RPi case among my RPi spares - similar to the one in the photo. I think something like that should be straightforward for the SqueezeAMP. I think it would be nice to have the PCB the right way up if it's going to be inside a transparent or semi-transparent case, so for the basic PCB-only case the PCB could obviously sit on the bottom plate of the case, with cutouts for the various connectors (with a side entry for the battery). This will work quite well I think, and I believe these lasercut cases are cheap to manufacture in numbers, whereas professional 3D printing services for the existing boxes are still quite expensive.

But for a version that has a battery chamber below, it's not obvious to me yet how the PCB would be 'suspended' above the chamber. The toslink and 3.5mm sockets protrude over the edge of the PCB, so can be used as locating points, but there's only two of them so the PCB could tend to 'rock'. But maybe not if there's no space between the top plate and the toslink housing. The obvious alternative would be to make a slit in the end plate for the WROVER antenna to locate into, but I suspect it's not a good idea to use that for mechanical mounting purposes.

I'll do some mock-ups and see what works.