Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pi Zero W and Orb Audio Mini-T Amp

I put a Pi Zero W and cheap DAC into a small case paired with an Orb Audio Mini-T amp that I already owned and use to drive speakers at my computer desk. The Mini-T has two audio inputs that you can toggle between using the push button switch to the right of the main volume/power switch. It also has a USB power port on the rear that is switched with the main volume/power knob.

The case was the closest match I could find but it's obviously not exact. I'm running piCore linux and squeezelite on the Pi (not piCorePlayer but that would work too). Pi and DAC are powered and switched using the Orb's USB power port. DAC output goes into the Orb's second input - the first input I use with my Steinberg audio interface.

The metal case degrades the Pi's wifi signal but I'm in an apartment and the Pi is only about 15 feet from the AP so it hasn't been an issue.

Sort of a basic little project but I figured I'd post it to give a little shout out to Orb Audio and the great little Mini-T amp, as well as to the piCore linux and squeezelite developers/maintainers!

Name:  ORB_RPi_Stack.JPG
Views: 760
Size:  124.5 KB
    Name:  RPi_DAC_Connections.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  188.5 KB

Nice !

The best place for this to get the correct attention is probably here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...-based-systems
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Nice !

The best place for this to get the correct attention is probably here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...-based-systems
    Thanks Jeff you are probably right - wasn't quite sure where to post it and ended up double posting it as the first try didn't show up right away! I thought the new firefox with the tracking blocking stuff might have screwed up the post mechanism so I posted it from chrome and then both posts showed up. I'm really doing well this Saturday morning!!

You should be able to edit then delete your own clone posts
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    You should be able to edit then delete your own clone posts
    I edited it but I didn't see how to delete the post completely or change the thread title. I was able to change the title of the first post but not the actual thread subject title.

Quote Originally Posted by sodface View Post
    Name:  RPi_DAC_Connections.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  188.5 KB
    Great to see someone else using these boards. I've got a whole bundh now and bang for buck I've been very impressed. I put up a thread about the wiring I'd figured out for them on different pi platforms, but it had no other responses so was starting to wonder if anyone else was using them.

Nice build.
    Last edited by s2kiwi; 2018-03-04 at 17:59.

Quote Originally Posted by s2kiwi View Post
    Great to see someone else using these boards. I've got a whole bundh now and bang for buck I've been very impressed. I put up a thread about the wiring I'd figured out for them on different pi platforms, but it had no other responses so was starting to wonder if anyone else was using them.

Nice build.
    I have 2 of these DAC board and am impressed with how they sound for the price.

I didn't realize you could use 3.3V or 5V. Moved the DAC to 5V and now I have my IR reciever available again using the freed 3.3V pin.

Thanks for the wiring diagram.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Thanks for the comments s2kiwi and ralphy. I've been really impressed with these cheap little DACs too. They sound great to me. I'll probably buy a couple of more just to have even though I'm not sure what I'd do with them! I know my SB Radios won't live forever so that could be my justification.

@s2kiwi, your post was one of the references I used when trying to figure out the pictured wiring. There's a couple of other blog posts out there I looked at too and I recall there being some minor differences between them all. Not sure how I settled on the above but it seems to work just fine.
    Last edited by sodface; 2018-03-07 at 21:01.

Which dac board are we talking about?
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    Which dac board are we talking about?
    These:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASSEMBLED...MAAOSwiDFYPVe~

A relative bargain...