Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Logitech Media Server and PiCorePlayer on NAS

Sorry if this information is already out there. I did spend a lot of time searching.

I want to migrate all of my lossless music files from a MacMini running LMS to a Synology 218+ NAS. Basically I want to copy all of my music to the NAS and set up a Rasberry Pi as an LMS server, but I'm a little fuzzy on some of the details.

My Synology NAS will be ethernet connected to our internet server/router.

Does my Rasberry Pi, running PiCorePlayer, have to be directly connected to the NAS or can it connect via WiFi? If it it has to be directly connected, how so? USB or ethernet?

Sorry, I know this is a very basic sort of question.

Quote Originally Posted by ghulse View Post
    Sorry if this information is already out there. I did spend a lot of time searching.

I want to migrate all of my lossless music files from a MacMini running LMS to a Synology 218+ NAS. Basically I want to copy all of my music to the NAS and set up a Rasberry Pi as an LMS server, but I'm a little fuzzy on some of the details.

My Synology NAS will be ethernet connected to our internet server/router.

Does my Rasberry Pi, running PiCorePlayer, have to be directly connected to the NAS or can it connect via WiFi? If it it has to be directly connected, how so? USB or ethernet?

Sorry, I know this is a very basic sort of question.
    Your Pi would be connected to your router, not your NAS, preferably by ethernet.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b6 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Your Pi would be connected to your router, not your NAS, preferably by ethernet.
    So do I need to buy a basic ethernet router or just plug the Pi into the back our our modem/router? It does have several ethernet ports.

Yes - plug the RPi into one of the spare ports of your router like the NAS.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Yes - plug the RPi into one of the spare ports of your router like the NAS.
    Thank you for your help. I see that my Synology 218+ has the option to install the Logitech Media Server package on the NAS. I am hearing it's best in the long run to use a Rasberry Pi as the server. Is this everyone's experience?

There are plenty running LMS on NAS boxes but my guess (without strong evidence) is that it is a declining number because of challenges with keeping things up to date.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin