Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: New Music

New Music

Hello,

I've posted this one in "squeezebox duet" before, but after getting inside the whole system a little more, of course, I found out by now this one is the more appropriate forum to post it.

Simply speaking: I want to hit the play button on "new music" and have the squeezebox play all new music. Instead, I have to go inside the menu and choose by album added (not - as I would like to have it - by artist).

I guess the "new music" menu shows all albums on the server, ordered by date added - this might be why it wouldn't make sense to simply play "new music" as a whole because it would simply add the whole library to the playlist.

Am I guessing right?

So a cool new winamp-like feature would be to have some sort of new music playlists which can be configured:

- play all new music since last library update
    - play all new music added after certain dates

And to be able to save several of these "dynamic" hence "virtual" playlists, just like you can create several alarm clocks.

This would sure entail creating a whole new plugin apart from the built-in new music plugin ...

Have a look at TrackStat, SQL Playlist and Dynamic Playlist plugins.

If you have these installed, you can from the SQL Playlist menu in the web interface create a new menu of the type "TrackStat last added songs" or "TrackStat last added songs". These playlists can be configured to request a "Last added time" parameter from the user, which gives the result that when you select to play it you will be asked if you like to play the music added last week, last month, last three months, ...

The playlist can also be configured to for example play last 100 added songs.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Almost solved

Hello Erland,

perfect - issue almost solved. Although that requires a little digging into the matter, this solution is even more versatile than the one I proposed.

The only things I do not quite understand yet: If I create a playlist for the last added albums for, say, 1 day, with the following parameters:
    - Playlist Name= "TrackStat Last Added Albums"
    - Group =""
    - Req. Param. = "Last added time"
    - Ignore albums with less tracks than = "" (I guess do not ignore albums at all? Or do I have to put a zero?)
    - Only play this number of tracks per album = "" (default)
    - Use this number of albums = "" (In order to have all albums added by "Last added time" - again: zero?)
    - Do not repeat tracks within same playlist = checked
    - Ignore recently played albums = unchecked
    - Custom skip filter = none

Then, the playlist is filled with 10 songs of the same album, all other albums are missing. So: how can I add all albums to the playlist with all tracks visible at once (tried the dynamic playlist plugin setting "now playing will show" with 1000 since saving an sql playlist always puts me in this plugin's menu - no success)? And how can I randomize that list from the beginning over all songs?

And then for some missing user interface options:
    How can I specify on my own, however, the number of days ago an album was added to be played? It only gives me the choice of 1 day, 5 days and so on ... Can I specify my own number via remote?

Maybe a simplified version of this should be built in ... but the plugins you suggested definitely made me happy!

Well - it's all just suggestions - I'm very thankful for the work done already!
    Last edited by mi6; 2009-01-12 at 15:45.

Quote Originally Posted by mi6 View Post
    How can I specify on my own, however, the number of days ago an album was added to be played? It only gives me the choice of 1 day, 5 days and so on ... Can I specify my own number via remote?
    It contains those hard coded numbers at the moment, there is no way to enter a free number. It is possible to add more detailed values by selecting the "Customize SQL" option and edit the background statement manually, but you will still not be able to use the number digits on the remote.

Do you need it to be more detailed in a specific interval or is it just the principle that you like it to be possible to enter any number ?
    If it is a specific interval I could change that in the predefined template if it makes sense to me too.

oh - i haven't seen your answer and went ahead and edited my original reply to yours several times.

i already did get into the customized sql and was successful, but thanks again for your offer to even change that in the template.

now the only issue remaining is the one with the missing tracks (see my 2nd post in this thread) ...

Then, the playlist is filled with 10 songs of the same album, all other albums are missing. So: how can I add all albums to the playlist with all tracks visible at once (tried the dynamic playlist plugin setting "now playing will show" with 1000 since saving an sql playlist always puts me in this plugin's menu - no success)?
    You will need to select the "Customize SQL" option and change the "limit 1;" text at the last row to "limit 10;" if you like it to add 10 albums immediately or replace it with ";" if you like it to add the number of albums you have selected in the "Use this number of albums" option.

Please note that after you have select the "Customize SQL" option there is no way to go back to the easy user interface, after this you will have to change the SQL manually for this playlist.

The default is that it add one album at the time, so when it has played a few tracks it will add the next album matching the selected time interval.
    If you increase the "Now Playing will show" I think it will add the next album 60 seconds after the first track has been played.

And how can I randomize that list from the beginning over all songs?
    Maybe you want the "TrackStat Last Added Songs" template instead "TrackStat Last Added Albums" ?
    This will play random songs (instead of random albums) which has been added recently.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    You will need to select the "Customize SQL" option and change the "limit 1;" text at the last row to "limit 10;" if you like it to add 10 albums immediately or replace it with ";" if you like it to add the number of albums you have selected in the "Use this number of albums" option.
    so the "limit" parameter does not limit the number of albums added but the number of albums displayed immediately in the playlist?

The default is that it add one album at the time, so when it has played a few tracks it will add the next album matching the selected time interval.
    If you increase the "Now Playing will show" I think it will add the next album 60 seconds after the first track has been played.
    from that i understand that the sql plugin only defines queries which are then executed by the dynamic playlist plugin?

Maybe you want the "TrackStat Last Added Songs" template instead "TrackStat Last Added Albums" ?
    This will play random songs (instead of random albums) which has been added recently.
    yes, that is definitely what i could do. i am only guessing how the whole cooperation between the sql playlist and dynamic playlist plugin works. so far i thought that the plugin creates the whole playlist immediately and that it could be randomized at once. if the dynamic playlist plugin adds tracks subsequently though, i understand this is not possible. why would the dynamic playlist plugin work in a way that it adds songs bit by bit (album by album)? what is the idea behind?

so the "limit" parameter does not limit the number of albums added but the number of albums displayed immediately in the playlist?
    If you look at the SQL there are two "limit" statements, the first will control the number of albums it will choose among and the last will control how many that is added directly to the playlist.

from that i understand that the sql plugin only defines queries which are then executed by the dynamic playlist plugin?
    Yes and the Dynamic Playlist will execute the query again when it detects that more tracks should be added. It will add more tracks when the number of tracks in the current playlist is less than the number specified in the "Now Playing will show" parameter in the Dynamic Playlist interface.

why would the dynamic playlist plugin work in a way that it adds songs bit by bit (album by album)? what is the idea behind?
    There are several reasons:
    SqueezeCenter doesn't perform very good when you add a lot of tracks to the current playlist. Try hitting play on a genre which contains a lot of tracks and you will see what I'm talking about. Especially the web interface could get pretty slow with large playlists.

The information SQL Playlist uses can change when you play. This is especially true for playlists that is based on statistic information such as most played tracks or top rated tracks.

The standard Random Mix plugin bundled with SqueezeCenter works the same way, it adds more tracks when the playlist gets to small. I think the major reason for this behavior is the performance problems that are seen with large playlists.

If you really want static playlists, you may want to have a look at the "Playlist Generator" plugin which is similar to the SQL Playlist/Dynamic Playlist combination but instead of generating the playlist as it plays it generates a standard static playlist based on a SQL statement.

Thank you so much - I just read through all of this again and saw that I forgot to thank you for your excellent replies.