Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Coincidence, or Problem with October 21, 2019 update?

I updated my Debian RPi with the new 7.9.2 - 1571644358 LMS this week, and it seems that at least one radio station I have been streaming error free on my Squeezebox Classic for years is now "Rebuffering" frequently.
    -I was previously using a LMS version from July.
    -My Squeezebox Touch works fine with this station
    -When I use an older LMS 7.9.2 - 1562753347 that exists on a Windows machine, my old Classic works fine.
    -I have not tested my system running wired, just WiFi. Signal strength 87%

I have not figured out how to rollback the Oct 21 update to test to see if this indeed solves the problem

Any ideas?

Thanks

So, WHICH station?
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Works okay on my SB Radio using latest 7.9.2

It's an AAC stream.
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much Touch works fine also. It's my Squeezbox Classic that started to rebuffer with the update.

Quote Originally Posted by jrwendt View Post
    Much Touch works fine also. It's my Squeezbox Classic that started to rebuffer with the update.
    An AAC stream to be played on Classic needs to be transcoded into Flac (or WAV if AAC->Flac has been disabled) - so possibilties are a problem with LMS server or a problem with connection between server and player as Flac needs higher bandwidth than AAC.

Thanks for the tip. Of course when I connect my SB Classic via wired LAN this stream works perfectly as you predicted. This got me thinking, I'm running my LMS with a first generation Raspberry pi. Would upgrading to a more powerful R-pi help with transcoding speed and make rebuffering a less frequent problem?

Quote Originally Posted by jrwendt View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Of course when I connect my SB Classic via wired LAN this stream works perfectly as you predicted. This got me thinking, I'm running my LMS with a first generation Raspberry pi. Would upgrading to a more powerful R-pi help with transcoding speed and make rebuffering a less frequent problem?
    1st Gen Pi should be able to transcode and send data to thew player without any problems.
    Since wireless strength is good and player works OK when wired - the issue is most likely interference on the wireless network.

Interference will not affect the strength of the signal but affects the quality and so reduces throughput.

Check for other Wifi networks on same or adjacent channels.
    Check for nearby sources of interference - other wireless devices, faulty fluorescent lights, microwave etc.

You could use the Network test on the SB classic to see if you can get higher throughput by altering position / orientation.