Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

RealMedia Streaming Playback?

I am a member of a website (ReelRadio.com) that I have used since about 1996 which features streams only available in RealMedia format (.rm files). Yes. I know. Real Media/Real Audio is an old format that most sites have abandoned. But the site that I want to listen to exhibits from will never change/upgrade to newer formats. In fact, when the person who started and ran the website died last year it went dark only to be revived by fans of the site and it is mostly volunteer and relies on donations to stay afloat. So, the chances of re-working streams are close to nil.

How can I listen to these streams through Logitech Media Server? I have searched but cannot find a way to do this.

Do you want to play RealMedia files stored on local disk or RealMedia streams (e.g.rtsp:// and rm format) from remote site ?

mplayer and ffmpeg used to be able to play RealMedia - not sure if codecs are still built /supported ?

Any example URL to download file or do test stream ?

RealPlayer streams. Here is a link to a page that has sample exhibits that are similar to what I would like to listen to on my Squeezeboxen.

http://www.reelradio.com/rdsc/airche...l#rdskhj040269

Another wrinkle is that this site is basically designated as a library (because of ridiculous RIAA harassment over exhibits that are over 50 years old) that requires membership (I'm a paid member). So, I don't know if that would make it impossible to play through LMS or not.

1. If you wished to be offered a menu with all the urls from a page as playable items - then you'll need a plugin to screenscrape.
    2. Once the ".ram" URL of a stream is obtain, login mechanism is needed to play the stream - given the age and style of the site (HTML looks handwritten) - it is probably something simplistic a cookies or URL parameters - again plugin stuff.

It is quite easy to provide two conf file to play "ram" playlists using ffplay but AFAICT a plugin is required to work with this site directly. The mobile interface may be better but no info on it.

Workaround - define the browser player to be something like ffmpeg or maybe vlc which will download/transcode the files you want on a per file basis.

Thank you, bpa! That all looks to be above my ability to put together, but I really appreciate the help. I know it's an old site and only with the determination of a couple of determined fans it came back after the death of the founder. I don't think it will ever be modernized and exhibits will probably always be in .rm until they aren't playable anymore and then it will die.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLnut View Post
    Thank you, bpa! That all looks to be above my ability to put together, but I really appreciate the help. I know it's an old site and only with the determination of a couple of determined fans it came back after the death of the founder. I don't think it will ever be modernized and exhibits will probably always be in .rm until they aren't playable anymore and then it will die.
    The siteis old fashioned and currently screen scraping is the only way to get contents into LMS menus. If the site could add a RSS feed for podcasts (not too hard since somebody rescued the old site) - it would eliminate the screenscraping but the "Login" issue would still be outstanding.