Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsupial View Post
    My quick before-coffee googling of max2play and orange pi tells me it may not be functional.
    I'd like to see if a different implementation of samba client may achieve different results.
    You have a quandry here.
    The NAS is ancient and could be the issue but equally the Orange Pi is not mainstream although you would expect the version of Debian for it to have working smb and nfs clients.
    Do you have any other PC hardware that could run another Linux client (perhaps from a Live CD) so that you could see if that will connect to the NAS?
    You said that your Android phone could conect but was that at file system level or was it connecting to a uPNP/DLNA media server on the NAS?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    You said that your Android phone could conect but was that at file system level or was it connecting to a uPNP/DLNA media server on the NAS?
    I've used this NAS for a while and many windows machined running various flavors of windows do work great with it. Albeit being slow, it has veen reliable fir many years and this is the first time I cannot correctly connect to it.

A few android phones connect trough samba on it, sone folders public and some via user/pass.

On the other side, I tried a different share (from windows) to mount on the orange and it does work, even with vers=1.0

My current guess is an incompatibility between the ancient NAS' samba deamon and the debian client that renders something strange in rights sharing.

I am looking to upgrade the NAS to something less ancient. Once that is done and data is transferred to something better, I'd look about reimaging the NAS... I have read online we can install linux on it. I'd gain full control.

I suspect most difficulties come from the control software, as I cannot know for sure what's it doing.
    Last edited by Marsupial; 2019-10-17 at 05:59.

Do you have any other PC hardware that could run another Linux client (perhaps from a Live CD) so that you could see if that will connect to the NAS?
    I took an old (rusty) raspberry pi 1b with raspbian jessie lite and got the exact same behaviour.

I think I'll just upgrade my NAS

I took an old (rusty) raspberry pi 1b with raspbian jessie lite and got the exact same behaviour.

I think I'll just upgrade my NAS
    I'd recommend either a QNAP or a Synology but in either case I'd run LMS on the Pi and mount the NAS media files via NFS
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

I'd recommend either a QNAP or a Synology but in either case I'd run LMS on the Pi and mount the NAS media files via NFS
    That's my plan, keeping the collection on one side and the media server on the other.

The old NAS I have been using was up to its limitations and upgrading to bigger drives was not possible anyway so I hope to be able to at least double my network storage space and increase network traffic speed in the process.

That's my plan, keeping the collection on one side and the media server on the other.

The old NAS I have been using was up to its limitations and upgrading to bigger drives was not possible anyway so I hope to be able to at least double my network storage space and increase network traffic speed in the process.
    I use a QNAP mounted by NFS
    On the qnap media is stored in
    /Multimedia/music
    and playlists in
    /Multimedia/playlists

By default access to Multimedia is by admin.administrators so I have a Windows user jim (me) who is a member of administrators. That lets me access and write via Windows.
    You then enable NFS on the Multimedia share and mount via fstab
    NFS is root.root which in QNAP terms is admin.adminstrators. Easy.
    LMS needs write access to playlists but as Squeezeboxserver user is a member of group root no additional messing is required.
    I imagine but not 100% sure that Synology will be identical.

One of my QNAPs is probably as old as your Thecus but it still works in this way. I keep 3 QNAPs - 2 on-site and 1 remote - in sync for backup and a secondary LMS at the remote site.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

I wanted to thank you guys for the help. It's good to know when it's not just you forgetting something, before deciding to upgrade hardware because of incompatibilities...
    Last edited by Marsupial; 2019-10-22 at 07:42.

I got a new (used) NAS, and setting it up exactly like the old one now works to get read access.

I don't have the files on it yet and this will come only when I upgrade hard drives, but I am already a step forward compared to what I had before. AND I will be able to have a bigger set of drives on my NAS - so its only positive.

Thanks again for the hand.