Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsupial View Post
    There is no ssh option on the box as-is, and I can't find an ssh module. But I read one could enable an ssh damon by connecting via serial port and doing some tweaks.
    I'd reserve this for last resort.

I'll dig a bit more into nfs first.

I'll try to mount a windows share, too, and see where things goes. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two.
    If you can't shell to the NAS how did you establish the UID & GID of the user/group? Is this shown in the browser GUI?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    If you can't shell to the NAS how did you establish the UID & GID of the user/group? Is this shown in the browser GUI?
    The uid/gid are used on the debian side of the share, to set who's cobsideted as the owner wuthin linux, so we need the linux uid/gid and not the NAS ones.

For the NAS the login is done with username and password
    Last edited by Marsupial; 2019-10-16 at 05:15.

I have found online ways to reflash the NAS with debian, but it reformats the drives in the process. This may be something I would be willing to do if I can't find a better solution.

But for now I'll dig on nfs

Question. I have seen online some people mount within fstab using smbfs instead of cifs. What's the difference?

The uid/gid are used on the debian side of the share, to set who's cobsideted as the owner wuthin linux, so we need the linux uid/gid and not the NAS ones.

For the NAS the login is done with username and password
    If you created a user/group on the NAS that has a different UID & GID - the NAS is Linux. I'm wondering whether the two are confused.

As far as I recall (I use NFS in the main) it isn't necessary to declare anything except username & password viz

Code:
    //NASIP/sharename /media/NAS cifs username=fred,password=fredspassword,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0
    Root is the assumed user as you are running this at system start up

NFS is much easier. Everything is root unless specified otherwise and access control is IP based.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post

Root is the assumed user as you are running this at system start up.
    If i do not tell cifs what uid/gid to ise, then the folder is property of root. And then the lms cannot even access the folder to try to document the files.

Question. I have seen online some people mount within fstab using smbfs instead of cifs. What's the difference?
    smbfs is obsolete, don't use it
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

I mounted on a brand-new, root created /mediaserver/NAS folder and that did not seem to change anything.

Adding noacl and noperm to the fstab line does remove the + but everything else remains as it was..
    What does getfacl / getfacl output for a folder / a file ?

As a last resort, try the nounix option in fstab.

After that, enable additional tracing:
    echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI
    echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/traceSMB

remount, try to read a file, then check the system logs and /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData for relevant messages

If this doesn't tell you anything, unmount the share and mount it manually (as root):
    mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt --verbose -o <options from fstab>

and again try to read a file, then check the system logs and /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData for relevant messages
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    What does getfacl / getfacl output for a folder / a file ?
    Here are the facl outputs on the /mediaserver/NAS
    Code:
    # getfacl /mediaserver/NAS
    getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
    # file: mediaserver/NAS
    # owner: squeezeboxserver
    # group: squeezeboxserver
    user::rwx
    group::---
    other::rwx

Code:
    # getfacl --default /mediaserver/NAS
    getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
    # file: mediaserver/NAS
    # owner: squeezeboxserver
    # group: squeezeboxserver

I note that default is now gone from the result.

As a last resort, try the nounix option in fstab.
    I added it, and still cannot read. However, the folders stop being in colored blocks when I ls the folder, not sure what that is supposed to mean.

After that, enable additional tracing:
    echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI
    echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/traceSMB

remount, try to read a file, then check the system logs and /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData for relevant messages
    That's what I get, but I am not certain what information is good in there.
    Code:
    Number of credits: 50 Dialect 0x0
    1) Name: 192.168.0.104  Domain: WORKGROUP Uses: 1 OS: Unix
            NOS: Samba 3.0.23a      Capability: 0x8080f3fd
            SMB session status: 1   TCP status: 1
            Local Users To Server: 1 SecMode: 0x3 Req On Wire: 0
            Shares:
            0) IPC: \\192.168.0.104\IPC$ Mounts: 1 Type:  DevInfo: 0x0 Attributes: 0x0
            PathComponentMax: 0 Status: 1 type: 0

1) \\192.168.0.104\media Mounts: 1 Type: NTFS DevInfo: 0x0 Attributes: 0xb
            PathComponentMax: 255 Status: 1 type: 0
    If this doesn't tell you anything,
    which it does...
    unmount the share and mount it manually (as root):
    mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt --verbose -o <options from fstab>

and again try to read a file, then check the system logs and /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData for relevant messages
    When I mount manually using root, this is what I get straight away as an answer
    Code:
    mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.0.104,unc=\\192.168.0.104\iTunes,vers=1.0,noacl,noperm,nounix,user=,pass=********
    and after trying to read a file, here's what I get in /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData

Code:
    1) Name: 192.168.0.104  Domain: WORKGROUP Uses: 1 OS: Unix
            NOS: Samba 3.0.23a      Capability: 0x8080f3fd
            SMB session status: 1   TCP status: 1
            Local Users To Server: 1 SecMode: 0x3 Req On Wire: 0
            Shares:
            0) IPC: \\192.168.0.104\IPC$ Mounts: 1 Type:  DevInfo: 0x0 Attributes: 0x0
            PathComponentMax: 0 Status: 1 type: 0

1) \\192.168.0.104\media Mounts: 1 Type: NTFS DevInfo: 0x0 Attributes: 0xb
            PathComponentMax: 255 Status: 1 type: 0
    It seems to me like this doesn't give out much information, did I do this good?

Again, I do not manage to read the file, I get an Permission Denied error.

in /var/log/syslog I see entries like this that match the permission denial in reading files

Oct 16 23:51:17 localhost kernel: [328621.877052] Status code returned 0xc0000022 NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Trying to look online what this is all about, the error seems to mainly occur on servers where people did not properly set rights, so I don't quite know what that means when mounting a folder and reading a file.
    Being that I can use windows to read the files with the guest user, I do not think there is a right issue on user guest on that folder.
    Last edited by Marsupial; 2019-10-16 at 17:15.

something else that I tried, just for kicks.

I made a share on my windows. Now, I cannot manage to log with guest on the windows share trough the debian mount (not sure what I am doing wrong) so I made a matching folder on the NAS, both using a user to log - similar rights, similar everything.

I tested the exact same fstab mount line, changing the windows share for the NAS shared folder, same arguments and everything. even mounted at the same location on debian (not at the same time) just to be sure it isn't the receiving folder that is problematic.

when I mount the windows share, I can read and write.
    When I mount the NAS, I cannot read.

I am beginning to think there is something wrong in the samba configuration of the NAS that makes it incompatible with debian..?
    Last edited by Marsupial; 2019-10-16 at 17:35.