Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsupial View Post

here's the result for getfacl /media/NAS
    Code:
    getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
    # file: media/NAS
    # owner: squeezeboxserver
    # group: squeezeboxserver
    user::rwx
    group::---
    other::rwx
    default:user::rwx
    default:group::---
    default:other::rwx
    Unmount the share from /media/NAS and run
    setfacl -b /media/NAS
    setfacl -k /media/NAS
    chmod 755 /media/NAS
    re-mount the share and check
    getfacl /media/NAS
    which shouldn't show the "default:" entries anymore and group should be r-x

then:
    getfacl -R -s /media/NAS
    should not output anything
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

I am almost certain the NAS uses SMB 3, so this may be wrong and cause issues. But I cannot seem to find out how to mount otherwise. Maybe "vers=1.0" is the culprit?
    While it't unlikely to be the cause of the permission issues, using a newer version is a good idea in any case. Have you tried vers=2.0 / vers=2.1 / vers=3.0 ?
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    Unmount the share from /media/NAS and run
    setfacl -b /media/NAS
    setfacl -k /media/NAS
    chmod 755 /media/NAS
    re-mount the share and check
    getfacl /media/NAS
    which shouldn't show the "default:" entries anymore and group should be r-x
    I still see the default, as well as the + in ls -l. In fact, it doesn't seem like it change anything.

Code:
    I tried a second time just to be sure I didn't miss something... I didn't.
    this is what I had on /media/NAS before remounting it.
    Code:
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 12 21:42 NAS
    and this right after
    Code:
    drwx---rwx+ 48 squeezeboxserver squeezeboxserver 0 Oct 14 19:27 NAS

now for the subfolders,
    getfacl -R -s /media/NAS
    should not output anything
    It does show the rights (including default) for all subfolders (there's hundreeds so it is quite long) and they are all the same, similar to what we had before

Code:
    # file: media/NAS/folder
    I believe these rights are taken directly from the NAS. What I don't understand is why I cannot manage to get to read the files.

While it't unlikely to be the cause of the permission issues, using a newer version is a good idea in any case. Have you tried vers=2.0 / vers=2.1 / vers=3.0 ?
    none of the newer versions seems to work. 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.11 they all say the NAS is down, the only one I managed to get working was vers=1.0 If I enter a random number in the vers, it states it is an illegal argument so I know it is trying something when I enter valid values, but it won't mount and always declare the host to be down.

I still see the default, as well as the + in ls -l. In fact, it doesn't seem like it change anything.

Code:
    I tried a second time just to be sure I didn't miss something... I didn't.
    this is what I had on /media/NAS before remounting it.
    Code:
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 12 21:42 NAS
    and this right after
    Code:
    drwx---rwx+ 48 squeezeboxserver squeezeboxserver 0 Oct 14 19:27 NAS

now for the subfolders,

It does show the rights (including default) for all subfolders (there's hundreeds so it is quite long) and they are all the same, similar to what we had before

Code:
    # file: media/NAS/folder
    I believe these rights are taken directly from the NAS. What I don't understand is why I cannot manage to get to read the files.

none of the newer versions seems to work. 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.11 they all say the NAS is down, the only one I managed to get working was vers=1.0 If I enter a random number in the vers, it states it is an illegal argument so I know it is trying something when I enter valid values, but it won't mount and always declare the host to be down.

This is very odd. A thought. You don't by any chance have a hosts-allow setting on the NAS and the Pi is not within its range?
    I googled the Thecus n2100 (I see it truly is ancient) to see if NFS was a possibility but Google reports that there is an installable NFS module but many prople say its broken.
    Due to its age I think smb version 1 is the only version available.
    Have you tried something other than Debian on the Pi?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    A thought. You don't by any chance have a hosts-allow setting on the NAS and the Pi is not within its range?
    I don't see any range settings on the NAS. I can try after work today what happens when I change the pi's IP.

I looked online to find the NFS plugin for the NAS and started to look into it, but have not gotten far.
    From what I understand, file transfers are not great, but if I can just mamage to scan the library, that may be sufficient for my needs.

I have not tried another os than debian yet. Not sure I'll find a replacement server style OS that will work great on the orange.

I am tempted to just change to a gigantic sd card and store the library directly on the pi, but think this will end up being limitative.

Code:
    This is indeed puzzling. Maybe the /media folder already has ACL permissions and/or defaults? Did you check getfacl -d /media and getfacl /media?

You can also try:
    - set the noacl and noperm options for cifs in fstab
    - mount the share to a different localtion (e.g. /mnt or create a new folder e.g. /data), making sure this folder has no (default) ACLs and sane permissions (eg. root 0755) (I'm not familiar enough with debian to know if /media is somehow treated specially by e.g. udev / udisks / systemd)

now for the subfolders,
    they inherit the perms from the parent

You could check the logs on the NAS and which samba version it runs.

I don't see any range settings on the NAS. I can try after work today what happens when I change the pi's IP.
    tbh, I'm not convinced about looking for the issue on the server side since
    - the share is readable by other clients with the same user (and CIFS permissions are user- and not host-based)
    - the Pi can connect and mount, so the IP isn't blocked

I looked online to find the NFS plugin for the NAS and started to look into it, but have not gotten far.
    From what I understand, file transfers are not great, but if I can just mamage to scan the library, that may be sufficient for my needs.
    Provided your NAS supports ssh / sftp, sshfs could be an option as well.

This is indeed puzzling. Maybe the /media folder already has ACL permissions and/or defaults? Did you check getfacl -d /media and getfacl /media?
    Will try when I get back home tonight. Now that I think about it, i believe the /media/ folder was created by default in the os image. Maybe the rights are tweaked somewhat. I will try to mount a different location as you suggest. So far I only tried the other way around, to mount a different NAS folder. Maybe I was looking at this from the wrong side...

You can also try:
    - set the noacl and noperm options for cifs in fstab
    I wasn't aware of these. Thanks.

You could check the logs on the NAS and which samba version it runs.
    Great idea. There must be something of interest in the logs. I've browse trough them trying to find errors whem i mounted the folder first but did not dig further yet.

I'll report my findings when i get home. Thanks s lot for the help.

I mounted on a brand-new, root created /mediaserver/NAS folder and that did not seem to change anything.

Adding noacl and noperm to the fstab line does remove the + but everything else remains as it was.
    I still cannot access in read. That is puzzling.

I also looked in the thecus logs on the NAS and they are useless. It tells you when who logs to the interface and what users are created. Not much.
    Last edited by Marsupial; 2019-10-15 at 16:01.

Provided your NAS supports ssh / sftp, sshfs could be an option as well.
    There is no ssh option on the box as-is, and I can't find an ssh module. But I read one could enable an ssh damon by connecting via serial port and doing some tweaks.
    I'd reserve this for last resort.

I'll dig a bit more into nfs first.

I'll try to mount a windows share, too, and see where things goes. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two.
    Last edited by Marsupial; 2019-10-15 at 16:00.