Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

what is the username/password used to scan the library?

Greetings.

Getting a brand new server setup for squeezebox, using an orange pi running debian buster. I have installed LMS 7.9.2 which does launch, and I am up to setting up the music library.
    I am trying to mount a NAS folder for this, but cannot wrap my head around rights managements.

The NAS is an old Thecus n2100, and its media folder can be either public where it gets drwx---rwx+ or user specific (where I have more issues accessing it from windows) where it gets drwxrwx---+

in either case, I seem to not have read access to the files from the console (but do have write/erase rights..?? Go figure)
    But more importantly the library does not scan - scanner.log reports tons of permission issues

Code:
    Audio::Scan::scan (64) Warning: Error reading: Permission denied
    so I am thinking I have something wrong in the rights management between the NAS and the pi.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    What's the user used to scan the files? maybe I need to create same user on the NAS and log with it? can I change username/password used by lms?
    Last edited by Marsupial; 2019-10-13 at 06:54.

Maybe it is the way that I use to mount the NAS folder that is an issue?

Currently I am adding it in fstab. Maybe there's another way?
    Last edited by Marsupial; 2019-10-13 at 08:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsupial View Post
    What's the user used to scan the files?
    Usually squeezeboxserver. If in doubt, check with ps -ef

Maybe it is the way that I use to mount the NAS folder that is an issue?

Currently I am adding it in fstab. Maybe there's another way?
    Just add the correct uid=value, gid=value and/or umask=value mount options
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Thanks a lot for chiming in Roland0, it's really appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    Usually squeezeboxserver. If in doubt, check with ps -ef

Just add the correct uid=value, gid=value and/or umask=value mount options
    Currently the fstab has squeezeboxserver uid and gid and tries to put files and dirs to 0777; it currently connects to the NAS with guest as the NAS folder is currently set to public... It has drwx---rwx+ for rights.

My admin user can see all files but can't read anything. It can write and delete. Lms complains about not having read access, but it displays what I assume to be the right number of files and folders (in the thousands files) and the logs has thousands of read access errors. From there I assume lms has the same can display but cannot read problems I see with my admin user.

I am pretty certain there is something not straight with the rights between the nas and the pi but can't figure out what is wrong.

Should I log to the NAS with squeezeboxserver credentials?
    Last edited by Marsupial; 2019-10-13 at 15:10.

How do other people using NAS on LMS setup their NAS rights?

How do other people using NAS on LMS setup their NAS rights?
    Does your NAS support NFS? If so try that - everything operates at root level
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Does your NAS support NFS? If so try that - everything operates at root level
    I don't think it does. There iTunes, apple network, ftp and smb/cifs which is the option I try to use. Besides on and off there isn't much options on any of these.

The smb config calls for a workgroup/domain name. Should I register Debian to the same workgroup?

Can I use the apple network protocol to achieve my goal? I have no idea how to use thst as I am not a mac user...
    Last edited by Marsupial; 2019-10-14 at 06:10.

Currently the fstab has squeezeboxserver uid and gid and tries to put files and dirs to 0777; it currently connects to the NAS with guest as the NAS folder is currently set to public... It has drwx---rwx+ for rights.

My admin user can see all files but can't read anything. It can write and delete. Lms complains about not having read access, but it displays what I assume to be the right number of files and folders (in the thousands files) and the logs has thousands of read access errors. From there I assume lms has the same can display but cannot read problems I see with my admin user.
    Have you checked accessing the files from a different computer (one running Windows) with the same NAS user?
    Also, post your fstab entry

Try the following as root (and post output/results):
    ls -l /path/to/some/musicfile.flac
    ls -ld /path/to/some/musicfolder
    ls -la /path/to/some/musicfolder/
    sudo -u squeezeboxserver -g squeezeboxserver cp -iv /path/to/some/musicfile.flac /tmp
    sudo -u squeezeboxserver -g squeezeboxserver cp -riv /path/to/some/musicfolder /tmp

Should I log to the NAS with squeezeboxserver credentials?
    Unlikely to help.

The smb config calls for a workgroup/domain name. Should I register Debian to the same workgroup?
    This should only be relevant if you couldn't log in as the guest user

Can I use the apple network protocol to achieve my goal? I have no idea how to use thst as I am not a mac user...
    This only adds more complexity, I'd advise against this approach.
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    Have you checked accessing the files from a different computer (one running Windows) with the same NAS user?
    currently the NAS is set not to "public" on that folder but to user access. I can access, read, write, whatever I want from my android cellphone (I can stream the MP3 files stored there) - connecting on it trough windows is more temperamental; windows doesn't seem to like to see network drive change rights. But on a fresh windows boot, the access does work and I can get read/write access.

here is my current entry in FSTAB - I have tried many, many things. There is a user squeezeboxserver on the NAS that has 'none' for a password

Code:
    //192.168.0.104/media /media/NAS cifs vers=1.0,username=squeezeboxserver,password=none,uid=108,gid=1004,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    here is the ls -l for the /media/NAS folder right after mounting
    Code:
    drwxrwx---+ 48 squeezeboxserver squeezeboxserver    0 Oct 14 14:05 NAS
    Here is one of the MP3 file down a path
    Code:
    -rwxrwx--- 1 squeezeboxserver squeezeboxserver    3194880 Jan 30  2018 filename.mp3
    From debian the file cannot be accessed even by root.
    Code:
    root@orangepione:~# cp file.mp3 test.mp3
    cp: error reading 'file.mp3': Permission denied
    trying to copy using squeezeboxserver user leads to similar results:
    Code:
    root@orangepione:~# sudo -u squeezeboxserver -g squeezeboxserver cp -iv /media/NAS/subfolder/file.mp3 /tmp
    'file.mp3' -> '/tmp/file.mp3'
    cp: error reading 'file.mp3': Permission denied
    trying to do it with a folder:
    Code:
    root@orangepione:~# sudo -u squeezeboxserver -g squeezeboxserver cp -riv /media/NAS/subfolder /tmp
    'subfolder' -> '/tmp/subfolder'
    'subfolder/file.mp3' -> '/tmp/subfolder/file.mp3'
    cp: error reading 'subfolder/file.mp3': Permission denied
    'subfolder/test.mp3' -> '/tmp/subfolder/test.mp3'
    cp: error reading 'subfolder/test.mp3': Permission denied
    to confirm, I ran ls -l on the folder
    Code:
    -rwxrwx---+ 1 squeezeboxserver squeezeboxserver 3194880 Oct 14 14:47  file.mp3
    -rwxrwx---+ 1 squeezeboxserver squeezeboxserver       0 Oct 14 14:48  test.mp3
    I also experienced having the NAS folder to public, mounting with guest instead of username/password, I tried many uid/gid (even root) and in no combination I managed to get to read files. But it does read properly on windows and android (particularly when set to public)

Is Debian accessing SMB differently than other platforms? Should I try to mount the SMB drive differently than what I have been doing? I am not actually "mounting" it on either windows or android, but accessing it and browsing, perhaps it is the mount operation that isn't working nice?

Maybe my fstab is not correct?
    Last edited by Marsupial; 2019-10-14 at 09:06.

Do you have a Squeezeboxserver user and group set up on the NAS?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng