Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

PiCorePlayer in Sonata HD USB DAC -any hints?

Hi all;

I've recently discovered the delights of Pi plus PiCoreplayer, and found it quick and easy to get the basic unit up and running with an existing LMS server. I initially just used analogue audio out, which with the right settings sounded OK but a little harsh, so I purchased the Sonata HD USB DAC and plugged it in.

Initially I found when I had it sync'd to existing players, it skipped and hiccuped from time to time; just enough to be annoying. Here's a hint for anyone trying this out: head off to the Sonata web site http://www.tempotec.com.cn/en/2-Prod...D/firmware.htm and download the firmware upgrade tonsupport MUSIC only (the other options are for calls & mobile phones). The problem instantly went away, and the resulting sound is very, very clean. However the volume is significantly lower than the analogue audio. There's a heap of options on the PiCorePlayer, but it's all a bit confusing for a novice to fathom. I got it work simply by placing the output to USB AUDIO, then it offered a configure setting of [iec958:CARD=Audio,DEV=0]. The reviews for this DAC for phones all comment of the good volume levels it can output. Can anyone give suggestions for something I could tweak to boast the output?

The development of the interface for USB Dacs are a bit lacking, mainly because the Rpi USB ports were far from very good. I have a feeling that with the RPI4, USB might have a resurgence, which will require some development on our part.

Anyway, volume should be adjustable.....albeit a bit manual.

1) First select the use of the Analog sound card.....
    2) After a reboot, go into the card control page, and just click on the "0 db" button. (This just sets a mode that is hidden while you have USB selected)
    3) Now reselect your USB card and set the output field for squeezelite.
    4) Open a ssh session and run alsamixer. Press "F6" to select your device. Then you should see a volume control (If it's possible to set)
    5) After you are happy, run the command "sudo alsactl store"
    6) Now run "pcp bu"
    7) close the ssh session

The volume should now be set correctly, even after rebooting.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

That seems to have worked - thank you

Followed your instructions. In the bit where you say 'set the output field for squeezelite' it simply prompted with the settings I originally had - I hope that is correct.
    The rest was good: SSH and I could increase the volume, at least in that session. I also enabled ALSA EQ and that also appeared to work in the SSH session, although ironically I can't access the damn speakers right now (they are outdoors and it's raining!) however, I'll drop another line when I've had the opportunity to fully test. The card was correctly detected and listed in the ssh alsamixer session BTW.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by R0cky View Post
    Followed your instructions. In the bit where you say 'set the output field for squeezelite' it simply prompted with the settings I originally had - I hope that is correct.
    The rest was good: SSH and I could increase the volume, at least in that session. I also enabled ALSA EQ and that also appeared to work in the SSH session, although ironically I can't access the damn speakers right now (they are outdoors and it's raining!) however, I'll drop another line when I've had the opportunity to fully test. The card was correctly detected and listed in the ssh alsamixer session BTW.

Thanks again.
    Quick follow, these instructions worked just fine. Also the Equaliser worked really well too! Thanks again.