Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

PiCorePlayer Getting Started (Not)

Hi,

I have PiCorePlayer and LMS installed on a Raspberry Pi. When I connect to the Pi via my phone and the PiCoreplayer site I can see that PiCorePlayer and LMS are both running. When I connect to the Pi using Squeezer on my phone it shows the PiCore player but there's no music in the folder. Somehow LMS has not scanned the USB stick in the Pi. What do I need to do to make LMS on the Pi scan the USB stick to fill the music folder with music I can play ?

I have found the getting started stuff on the PiCorePlayer site incomplete and disjointed. Can anyone point me to a better, complete and joined-up getting started procedure for setting up PiCorePlayer and LMS on a Pi ?

Thanks

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    Hi,

I have PiCorePlayer and LMS installed on a Raspberry Pi. When I connect to the Pi via my phone and the PiCoreplayer site I can see that PiCorePlayer and LMS are both running. When I connect to the Pi using Squeezer on my phone it shows the PiCore player but there's no music in the folder. Somehow LMS has not scanned the USB stick in the Pi. What do I need to do to make LMS on the Pi scan the USB stick to fill the music folder with music I can play ?

I have found the getting started stuff on the PiCorePlayer site incomplete and disjointed. Can anyone point me to a better, complete and joined-up getting started procedure for setting up PiCorePlayer and LMS on a Pi ?

Thanks

Mark
    Open the piCorePlayer web gui, on the LMS page is your USB stick mounted?

Name:  mount01.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  42.4 KB

If yes, click the "Configure LMS" button.

Name:  mount02.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  47.8 KB

The LMS web gui should open. Click the settings button bottom right. Enter the path to your music files folder on your USB stick, click "Apply" bottom right. A scan should start.

Name:  mount03.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  74.9 KB
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b7 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

kidstypike,

Thanks for the reply. I had missed the need to use the beta tab at the bottom to see the LMS options. The PCP site is full of pitfalls like that. The USB stick was mounted, but it hadn't been scanned. After at least three attempts I managed to get LMS to scan the stick and populate the music folder. It kept falling over, and it was never clear what it was doing and how far it had got in the process. However, when I put the Pi back in the hifi it wouldn't connect to the wifi. Having been through three card wipes and having wasted 2-3 hours I was in no mood for any more nonsense so I have binned it and gone back to Moode, which is working fine. PiCorePlayer needs an up front and reliable,repeatable, line-by-line 'Getting Started' procedure from down load of both PCP and LMS, setting them up and all the way to playing music.

Thanks

Mark
    Last edited by moody; 2019-10-11 at 13:54. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    kidstypike,

Thanks for the reply. I had missed the need to use the beta tab at the bottom to see the LMS options. The PCP site is full of pitfalls like that. The USB stick was mounted, but it hadn't been scanned. After at least three attempts I managed to get LMS to scan the stick and populate the music folder. It kept falling over, and it was never clear what it was doing and how far it had got in the process. However, when I put the Pi back in the hifi it wouldn't connect to the wifi. Having been through three card wipes and having wasted 2-3 hours I was in no mood for any more nonsense so I have binned it and gone back to Moode, which is working fine. PiCorePlayer needs an up front and reliable,repeatable, line-by-line 'Getting Started' procedure from down load of both PCP and LMS, setting them up and all the way to playing music.

Thanks

Mark
    I agree wholeheartedly with all you say, and for a noob this stuff ain't straightforward.

But any instructions written today quickly become obsolete. piCorePlayer is now badly named (it was originally just a player), has too many versions - now with normal version, Audio version, 32 bit kernel, 64 bit kernel. Add all the not obvious and confusing tabs at the bottom of the web gui, what a mess.

Good luck with Moode, whatever that is.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b7 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

I do agree, we have been discussing simplifying things, but RPI keeps releasing new hardware, as well as the plethora of new dacs getting released. Allo USbridgeSig is the latest board needing special attention.

As soon as I get time, The tabs at the bottom are the first on my list to go. Probably have a player mode, and then Full Options mode. pCP May never be for the totally inexperienced, as this is a very minimal OS, all of the little helper apps that help with various drives and network support are purposely not there. WiFi is going to get real difficult..... I have a feeling WiFi-6 is going to mess up lots.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Getting Started - A Way Forward

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    I do agree, we have been discussing simplifying things, but RPI keeps releasing new hardware, as well as the plethora of new dacs getting released. Allo USbridgeSig is the latest board needing special attention.

As soon as I get time, The tabs at the bottom are the first on my list to go. Probably have a player mode, and then Full Options mode. pCP May never be for the totally inexperienced, as this is a very minimal OS, all of the little helper apps that help with various drives and network support are purposely not there. WiFi is going to get real difficult..... I have a feeling WiFi-6 is going to mess up lots.
    Paul & kidstypike,

Thanks for the positive responses. Please find below my observations which might help you find a way forward.

Paul’s footer says a ‘piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi…..’ So are Volumio and Moode :
    https://volumio.org/get-started/
    And Moode :
    http://www.moodeaudio.org/
    I use both.
    Both have a simple installation procedure. I assumed PiCorePlayer was the same as Moode and Volumio so it would have the same installation procedure :
    1 Download the software as a .img file.
    2 Write the .img file to a microSD card.
    3 Put the card in the Pi, plug in an Ethernet cable and plug in the power.
    4 Find the IP the Pi is using, and use it to connect to the Pi via your browser
    5 Scan for wifi. Input your wifi password. (sometimes the PiCorePlayer ┬‘scan for SSID ┬‘ facility is there sometimes it isn’t, and when it is there why is it at the bottom instead of when and where you need it ?)
    6 Tell the software where your music is (NAS, USB stick etc.) and it scans it automatically
    7 Tell the software how the music is to be output (HAT, USB, DAC etc.)
    8 Save settings, shutdown.
    9 Put the Pi in your hifi and talk to it from your PC or your phone via your broser and wifi. (Volumio also has a very good app for ú1 which automatically finds the IP).
    That’s it : you’re off.

You need a stage by stage newbie procedure like this upfront with the PiCorePlayer download. You might want to try Volumio for yourself, as this has a particularly sensible approach to getting started.

You don’t need to install any other software for Moode or Volumio, it’s all in the .img file (unlike PiCorePlayer which needs LMS as well, but it took me days to realise that because nobody told me). Volumio and Moode don’t use LMS. I have a Logitech Touch, and I find the LMS on it is a nuisance, taking a long time to boot to re-scan the USB stick. Moode and Volumio will allow you to hot plug USB sticks. Try that with LMS on the Touch and you’ve lost another 10 minutes of your life while it tells you how naughty you’ve been and it sorts itself out ! If you have to stick with LMS then it needs fully integrating with the getting started newbie procedure.

When hardware gets added all you need to do is add it to the drop down menu of options. If it ain't there then it's not supported until you can find the time to add it, but all the rest of the procedure and the options in the drop down menus are still valid. You can also always ask the hardware vendors to help with the 'drivers' for new hardware - it's in their interests after all ! Moode and Volumio are in the same boat.

Wifi 6 ? Is everyone now going to go out and spend a lot of money on a new wifi 6 router when not much right now can use it ? I don't think so. wifi 5 and it's predecessors are going to be around for a while yet.

So why am I bothering with PiCore Player ? It has an unrivalled collection of geeky tweaks, and I have a Unix/Linux geeky friend who will happily spend hours tweaking buffer settings and a host of other ALSA stuff and keeps telling me how it improves things, so I want to try it for myself. If only I could get it installed and working !

Hope the above is helpful.

Mark
    Last edited by moody; 2019-10-13 at 14:09. Reason: removed junk characters added by forum software