Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Replace Ye Olde WHS With What?

I really ought to replace my old Windows Home Server with something still supported! I've also had issues with some plugins failing to run so replacement is long overdue. Primary function is an LMS server plus general repository for pics & video. So should I look for a Windows box or a NAS? I seem to recall that HP Microservers were a popular option but then a NAS, assuming it supports LMS, should require less maintenance. I'd be grateful for any pros/cons with either & specific recommendations.

Just remembered Vortexbox. Is that worth considering, especially from a plugin compatibility viewpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by rbz5416 View Post
    Primary function is an LMS server plus general repository for pics & video.
    I'd suggest a Raspberry Pi -- LMS plus storage of video (which I stream using DLNA) and pics is exactly what I use mine for.

The latest model is the 4 B, but the previous one, the 3 B+, will do just fine.

They're very affordable, silent (unless you get the 4 and decide you need a fan, although even then it will be very quiet) and low-power-consumption.

I just installed Raspbian and went from there, but OpenMediaVault may interest you (I'm thinking of trying it, just to see what it's like, as it gets generally very favourable reviews).
    Last edited by SpiderJon; 2019-10-09 at 04:59.

Thanks but I'd prefer an all-in-one box & have zero interest in a DIY approach.

Thanks but I'd prefer an all-in-one box & have zero interest in a DIY approach.
    Iĺm not sure why you would not call a Pi an all-in-one box. Today you can buy them already in a case and with the sdcard, so no more DIY that an PC with windows and loading your application, candidly. Itĺs more perception that reality nowadays. You can also use MaxPlay or other multimedia suites
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I’m not sure why you would not call a Pi an all-in-one box.
    I haven't looked but not aware of a box that will accept multiple 3.5" HDDs for storage & redundancy?

But even if it exists, you're still talking a DIY project with an OS I know nothing about & have no desire to learn.
    Last edited by rbz5416; 2019-10-09 at 06:18.

If you know Windows, why not stick with it? I've run a Win 7 LMS/Plex/file "server" PC in a closet wired to my router for many years. Can your current hardware run Win 10? If you remote into your box, you'll need Win 10 Pro as Home (as with Win 7) does not include remote desktop server. If you need new hardware, eBay has plenty of refurbished i3/4GB towers each with room for multiple drives; typically well under $200.

Downside vs. RPi is power consumption and fan noise, but you've already dealt with that.

I haven't looked but not aware of a box that will accept multiple 3.5" HDDs for storage & redundancy?

But even if it exists, you're still talking a DIY project with an OS I know nothing about & have no desire to learn.
    Understood about Linux but when you start adding HDD to a box, everything ends up being a DIY project. It's a mature of how far do you go, no a difference of nature.

Re NAS, and to concur with @Apesbrain, IMHO you'll be better with Windows. NAS are often a pain as soon as you want to install plugins (believe me, I wrote a few of these ...), and their main purpose is to be a NAS, not a general purpose PC. An you'll have to learn something new in term of system b/c they are Linux based, so although you won't have to go as deep as you would have to on a Pi, you likely will have to confront some of these unknowns. So use Windows because you're familiar with it and it's made to run a PC, which is what you really want.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44
    I wrote a few of these
    The failure of your UPnP Bridge to run on the WHS box is a partial driver for this. So Windows it is then.