• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmr_slimdevices
    • Oct 2019

No Sound Output from Hi Fi Berry DAC

Hi all

First post here and new to LMS

So i bought a pre built Hifi Berry DAC based PI off ebay intending to use it as an LMS server and player. People will question buying pre built but I have poor fine motor skills and this seemed like a good way into LMS.

Specs of the PI are as follows:

Raspberry Pi Model B Rev 2 - hardware revision 000F

The DAC is the original Hifi Berry DAC and as an aside it came with Volumio pre installed but I chucked this anyway.

so my intention was to run both LMS and Pi core player on the Pi but it was just far to slow to operate.

After much learning and playing around I have now got LMS 7.92 installed on my Windows 10 Desktop

Orangesqueeze can see my PI and I can see that tracks are playing without error. However I am getting no sound from my amp (connected via RCA)

I have treble checked connections. The logs on Pi core player look ok (passably techie but not sure what I am looking at)

Are there any other tests I could do or am I best just unscrewing the device and checking connections? (I can get people to help but they are less techie than me)

I've made sure the output mode in Pi Core player is set to analogue audio and also emptied the output settings field under Asound and still no joy!

Any advice welcome and if I have missed any info that would be useful please say.
  • chill
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cmr_slimdevices
    I've made sure the output mode in Pi Core player is set to analogue audio and also emptied the output settings field under Asound and still no joy!
    I think that's the problem. Your audio will be coming out of the Pi's 3.5mm jack. You need to select your HiFiBerry DAC instead of Analogue.

Comment

• cmr_slimdevices
      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by chill
      I think that's the problem. Your audio will be coming out of the Pi's 3.5mm jack. You need to select your HiFiBerry DAC instead of Analogue.
      ah good shout thanks for tip.

If I look at the list though all the options refer to HIFIBerry Dac+ and not the original version...

I shall take a closer look.

Comment

• chill
        • Mar 2007

Hopefully there'll be others with this DAC who can advise.

Comment

• paul-
          • Jan 2013

I forget what the original Dac used, just try the different hifiberry Dac settings. Depending on the version of pCP you are using, you might need to switch to Beta mode to see more choices.
          piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
          Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Comment

• JohnB
            • Jul 2009

cmr_slimdevices,

Hi, do let us know the results of trying the HiFiBerry options, as Paul suggested.

It might also be just worth checking that the HiFiBerry board is still properly connected to the Rasp Pi as packages are often roughly handled in the mail.

Perhaps others using HiFiBerry DAC will chip in as well.
            Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 10, iPad 4, iPeng.

Comment

• cmr_slimdevices
              • Oct 2019

Originally posted by JohnB
              cmr_slimdevices,

Hi, do let us know the results of trying the HiFiBerry options, as Paul suggested.

It might also be just worth checking that the HiFiBerry board is still properly connected to the Rasp Pi as packages are often roughly handled in the mail.

Perhaps others using HiFiBerry DAC will chip in as well.
              Just to update all,

to cut a long story short, I downgraded to Pcp 3.11 as this had the option for original DAC listed - no joy.

Reflashed to 5.0 and try the Zero/Mini Amp option - no joy.

I have however got it working by using the 3.5 mm headphone output.

Thanks to all for their suggestions - think I have caught the LMS bug.

Comment

• kidstypike
                • Feb 2007

Just to update all,

to cut a long story short, I downgraded to Pcp 3.11 as this had the option for original DAC listed - no joy.

Reflashed to 5.0 and try the Zero/Mini Amp option - no joy.

I have however got it working by using the 3.5 mm headphone output.

Thanks to all for their suggestions - think I have caught the LMS bug.
                But you're not using the HiFiBerry DAC if you're using the 3.5 jack.

Try this: From rhe piCorePlayer main page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select "Beta".

On the Squeezelite settings page select one of the HiFiBerry DACs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DAC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1567167
                Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
                Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
                Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
                Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• JohnB
                  • Jul 2009

Sorry to butt in but the problem that cmr_slimdevices has is that he has a HiFiBerry DAC (the old version) and that card isn't listed these days in the available options. (It was dropped probably between pCP 3.20 beta and 3.2 release versions.)

He has tried a number of the other HiFiBerry options (perhaps all of them) with no joy. He has tried the "HiFiBerry DAC Zero/MiniAMP" which one of the pcp developers suggested to someone in a similar situation some years ago, but with no joy. I thought that might work as, looking at the hifi_dac.conf file (which includes LISTNAME="HiFiBerry DAC Zero/MiniAMP") it seems to have the correct dtoverlay - but again no joy.

As I understand it, he bought a Rasp Pi 1B + HiFiBerry DAC (in a case) second hand to dip his toe in the water, so to speak.

I wonder whether there is a test one could do to check that the HiFiBerry DAC card is fully functional.

Man in a Van has run pCP 5.0.0 & LMS on a Rasp Pi 1B with a cirruslogic dac: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post949550

So it *seems* that the problem might be that either that the HiFiBerry DAC is no longer supported in recent versions of pCP (but then he downgraded to 3.11 where it is supported, but with no success) or that the HiFiBerry DAC card might be faulty (?).
                  Last edited by JohnB; 2019-10-07, 21:48.
                  Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 10, iPad 4, iPeng.

Comment

• paul-
                    • Jan 2013

That card is still supported it is a PCM5102a based dac. Please start with a fresh pCP5.0.0 regular image, or even better a 6.0.0-b5.

The driver you want to use is "Hifiberry DAC Zero/MiniAMP", Make sure you select that option, then reboot.

Upon reboot, is squeezelite running?
                    Try to play something, Is squeezelite still running?
                    On the Squeezelite page, There is a button called "Card Control" right under the card selection box, go there, and make sure the volume slider is set to 0DB.

Next steps would be to look at the Diagnostics page....scroll down to the section marked "dmesg" Then scroll to the bottom of that box, there should be some lines mentioning hifiberry, can you cut at paste what you see there (Better to get some extra lines, rather than leave something out.)

Comment

• cmr_slimdevices
                      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by paul-
                      That card is still supported it is a PCM5102a based dac. Please start with a fresh pCP5.0.0 regular image, or even better a 6.0.0-b5.

The driver you want to use is "Hifiberry DAC Zero/MiniAMP", Make sure you select that option, then reboot.

Upon reboot, is squeezelite running?
                      Try to play something, Is squeezelite still running?
                      On the Squeezelite page, There is a button called "Card Control" right under the card selection box, go there, and make sure the volume slider is set to 0DB.

Next steps would be to look at the Diagnostics page....scroll down to the section marked "dmesg" Then scroll to the bottom of that box, there should be some lines mentioning hifiberry, can you cut at paste what you see there (Better to get some extra lines, rather than leave something out.)
                      Thanks Paul
                      really helpful post.
                      Will try all your suggestions.

Comment

• cmr_slimdevices
                        • Oct 2019

Thanks Paul
                        really helpful post.
                        Will try all your suggestions.

Just a note to say I finally have this working - so thanks to all who posted and especially Paul.

I would just add that pcp 6.0 would never retain my wifi details. No issue with 5. Possible bug?

Comment

• paul-
                          • Jan 2013

Anything is possible, but I test wifi often. Perhaps if you get time, you could post some info in the 6.0.0 thread.

Comment

Working...