Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Without enlarging the case I think the only way those cells would work is if they are soldered together. The photo gives the impression that there's barely room for the wires! I've made a bare case, with contours to locate the cells, but it seems like integral terminals would make it too tight.

In this version the cells are at 19mm centres, which is the maximum possible with this case size. This will allow for the cells being slightly bigger than the nominal dimensions. If soldering them together, the attached zip also contains an STL file for the bare contoured base (the orange part), so that the cells can be aligned at the right spacing while soldering.

Philippe - I think you mentioned elsewhere that you have made your own cell packs by soldering. Can I ask how you do that? Are the flat tops tinned already, and is a soldering iron sufficient, or does the cell act as a heat sink to make it difficult to heat up? Is it dangerous to heat a lithium cell sufficiently to solder?
    Thanks!

I'm using this kind of wires https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and then either soldering them or spot-welding them. Soldering works fine for me with a flat tip. I've read that acid-based flux is better but I've not tried
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

SqueezeAMP boxes

Luckily, it seems to fit but there will be no room for the nice battery guides you've made for the 18500, it would have to be simply the part where you slide the terminals.

Name:  IMG_5167.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  32.8 KB

Do you think you could you modify a bit that as well ? I have a set of battery terminals which are 11*11.5 instead of 13*11.5 so they do not stay well in place. Maybe a version with a larger "slider" could work for both.

Thanks
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2019-10-07 at 22:21.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

That photo shows the space more clearly - there's more than it seemed from your earlier photo. The total available width is 41.5mm, so a nominal battery length of 35mm ought to leave 6.5mm for the terminals, but there does seem to be quite a variation in the quoted lengths for 18650 cells.

A version without the battery guides makes sense with these cells, as there's even less room for them to jump out. I'll modify the terminal guides so that both sizes of terminal will fit.

I did wonder whether maybe a plain empty box would be useful, so that packs of 2x18500 or 3x18350, home-made or otherwise, would just drop in. No need for terminal guides or battery guides in that case.

I looked into how to spot weld batteries together - definitely something to try one day :-)

Here's the empty box. I'll have a go at the revised terminal guides this evening.

Attached Files Attached Files

That didn't take as long as I thought it would. I increased the sides of the terminal guides to that they should hold the smaller terminals as well as the original ones. The narrow ones won't centre themselves, so you'll have to take care when inserting them. I found that I needed to flatten the little sprung 'grips' on either edge of the terminals so that they'll slide into the slots.

I also modified the 2x18500 box with the same guides. STL files in the attached zip.

Let me know how they work, and whether they need tweaking for your terminals.

Attached Files Attached Files

My 2x18500 cells arrived today. The box I made for them, in the last STL zip, isn't going to work - it needs to lose the battery guides, like the 3x18350 box. I'll post a revised version as soon as I've tested it.

My 2x18500 cells arrived today. The box I made for them, in the last STL zip, isn't going to work - it needs to lose the battery guides, like the 3x18350 box. I'll post a revised version as soon as I've tested it.
    They are tight itĺs true but I was able to install 2 18500. I agree the guides could be a bit smaller. On the 18350, Iĺll print a case but I now think that we may be able to have short guides as well, which is better for stability

I think your 18500s must be shorter than mine. Mine are 51.9mm body length, with another 0.7mm for the button top. I couldn't get mine into the slots without trimming the guides, and that was without the -ve spring terminal in place. The trouble with the guides is they need to be short enough that the battery can be inserted at an angle, but long enough that they overlap the ends of the battery when it settles into position against the spring. If they don't overlap there's no point in having them. Once I've got a print of the version without the guides I'll pop some terminals in and measure up again.

Regarding stability, I really don't think these 18mm cells will be able to move once they're jammed in between spring terminals, and the PCB is clamped in place above them. There's very little clearance between the cells and either the connectors on the short edge or the battery connector.

I think your 18500s must be shorter than mine. Mine are 51.9mm body length, with another 0.7mm for the button top. I couldn't get mine into the slots without trimming the guides, and that was without the -ve spring terminal in place. The trouble with the guides is they need to be short enough that the battery can be inserted at an angle, but long enough that they overlap the ends of the battery when it settles into position against the spring. If they don't overlap there's no point in having them. Once I've got a print of the version without the guides I'll pop some terminals in and measure up again.

Regarding stability, I really don't think these 18mm cells will be able to move once they're jammed in between spring terminals, and the PCB is clamped in place above them. There's very little clearance between the cells and either the connectors on the short edge or the battery connector.
    My 18500 are the protected with button ones, but its a bit a jungle there with exact 18xxx cell sizes ....

You're right, stability will be good enough. My 18350 are very likely unprotected but there might be just enough space for the protected version (seems that there is 3+mm left), I'll have to see

Without the battery guides my 18500 cells fit perfectly - nice and tight against the terminals. Unfortunately the box isn't quite tall enough. The wires from the battery connector on the PCB have to be bent over hard, and they still push on one of the cells. Good for holding that cell in place, but not ideal for stressing the PCB. Also, the tags on the terminals at the connector end protrude too much. I knew they would stick up a bit, but the angle that they have to be bent over to clear the ethernet and DC connectors is just too much IMO. So I've added 3mm to the height of the box. I'm printing one out now, but I think that should fix both problems.

I suspect the battery connector will be just as squeezed in the 3x18350 version, so I'll probably add 3mm to that one as well.