Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Wow - redesigning for 3mm has certainly opened up a world of possibilities. Flourescent acrylic anyone? Or mirrored acrylic? How about birch ply, or walnut? The walnut comes in smaller sheets, so I've done a layout to suit and have asked for a quote. I'm not sure how well the snap-together approach will work in wood, but it's worth a test cut I think.

The nice fella in the lab was kind enough to do a test cut for me from my 3mm design. I'm glad I went for 3mm in the end - the pieces seem a lot more robust, and the flexi-arms don't feel as though they're close to breaking. And I don't feel that they look too chunky for this little device after all.

They're not the easiest things to put together, so I need to round off a couple of corners to help with that, and with the thicker acrylic the barrel of the DC jack no longer reaches far enough into the DC socket, so I need to open up the hole to take the body of the jack rather than just the 5.5mm barrel.

One more iteration should do it. It's a good job the lab technician is patient with me - it seems these test cuts would be costing me around £40 a time if I went to a commercial place.

Back to the 3D printed boxes - I modified the lid to take one of the small slide switches that I linked to earlier. In this configuration the body of the switch sits conveniently in the gap at the end of the PCB next to the WROVER antenna. The screws are M2x6 (6mm to also suit the 3mm acrylic box), and they're fiddly little so-and-so's to fit! But once in place I think this is quite a tidy place to have an on/off switch, so that battery consumption can be cut to almost nothing when the unit isn't being used.

I've given up on the 'snap-together' acrylic boxes after all. Even the latest 3mm version isn't robust enough to be acceptable. And my commercial Raspberry Pi 3mm acrylic box has also broken in a couple of places after being assembled and disassembled a few times. With hindsight I don't think acrylic is ideally suited for a design that needs to be flexible - it's just too brittle. Apparently polycarbonate would be ideal, but it's not suitable for laser cutting! So back to the drawing board - I think the design needs some sort of mechanical fixing.

At Philippe's suggestion I've tried a version that uses nuts and bolts in t-shaped slots to hold the front and back on - I was sceptical but it works really well, even in 2mm acrylic.

The nice thing about 2mm acrylic is that it suits the diminutive size of the PCB really well - it has a certain 'bijou' quality. It's necessarily slightly bigger than the 3D printed version, but not much. Here's a photo of this 'bolted' version between the 3D printed case and the last 3mm snap-together version. It really shows how much bigger the 3mm version had to be.

It still needs a bit of tweaking to make assembly as easy as possible, but I feel like it's finally getting there!

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post

It still needs a bit of tweaking to make assembly as easy as possible, but I feel like it's finally getting there!
    I was looking at this week's progress and was like "but who actually is this guy???" And right now, looking at this picture I'm like: it doesn't matter. He's doing his wizardry and it is converging faster and faster to a master piece. This is a beautiful design, and I love the transparency as well as the visible metal nuts and bolts! Thank you!

On a side note I've been listening some Spotify music all day on squeezelite (through a cheap i2s DAC and Bose headphones, as my v1 SqueezeAmp needs some reflow love after too many compile/flash cycles) is the first time since June where it does more playing than rebooting and I have to say I had forgotten how stable this was.

Thanks to you, now I need to find an acrylic cutting service that ships here!
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    Thanks to you, now I need to find an acrylic cutting service that ships here!
    I've been surprised how expensive the first few quotes I've had to make these in numbers have been. I think I just haven't found the right place yet. I'm reminded of when I was trying to get my first PCB made. I looked at numerous places locally, but they all wanted ~£80 for the first one, and maybe £100 for 10. And that was their lowest price, if I was prepared to wait 3 weeks. A friend at work pointed me to one of the Chinese manufacturers, and I was able to get 10 made for a total of $2 (20c each), and the man from DHL was on my doorstep a week after I ordered them. So I'm still looking for the equivalent place for laser cutting. They must exist, because I can buy a ready-made Raspberry Pi case commercially for less than the cost of making the SqueezeAMP cases myself in bulk, and the Pi case seller must be making a profit.

I've tweaked the design again so that the nuts and bolts can be pre-assembled through the end plates, so that there's no danger of the nuts dropping inside the case. I'll get another test cut of all the variously-sized parts done, and when I'm happy I'll post the DXF files.

Hi chill,
    I am really impressed by the look of these boxes.
    Do you consider having a box without battery compartment, for those running directly using a wall socket?

Or is that not meant at all with the player?
    /Richard

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SqueezeAMP boxes

Quote Originally Posted by r.ludwig View Post
    Hi chill,
    I am really impressed by the look of these boxes.
    Do you consider having a box without battery compartment, for those running directly using a wall socket?

Or is that not meant at all with the player?
    /Richard

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    The idea is to have one thin w/o battery and one thick w/ battery. Then you could choose what battery you want for the tall box. On the thin box, battery connector will be on the side if you want to use one later (outside)

And I agree @chill is making an amazing work. It’s giving the missing touch to the project

I’m hoping to receive the batch in one or two weeks now and with the OTA ready and the boxes, it looks really cool. I hope I’ll have enough people interested by the first batch of 30 (again, no margin, just at cost)
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2019-11-12 at 00:20.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by r.ludwig View Post
    Yes, as Philippe says, the plan is to have two boxes. One will have the smallest dimensions possible to completely surround the PCB. This one will suit a PCB with a side entry battery connector, as there will be a hole in the side of the box, should you wish to add a battery pack.

There will also be a version that keeps the same footprint but which is approximately twice as tall, to create a cavity below the PCB for a battery pack. What we learned with the 3D printed boxes is that there are a couple of standard cell sizes that suit the footprint of this PCB rather nicely. For a 3-cell version, 3x18350 cells will fill the 41.5x57mm footprint, while for a 2-cell version, 2x18500 cells also use up all of the available space. With these acrylic boxes I can't include terminals for loose cells, so it will be necessary to make up (or have made) a wrapped pack of cells. Packs of smaller cells, e.g. 3x16340 will obviously fit with space to spare, and will still give good run time. I haven't looked very hard for ready-made packs in any of these sizes, but for my purposes I think I'll probably ask a supplier to make me up a pack specially.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    So I'm still looking for the equivalent place for laser cutting. They must exist, because I can buy a ready-made Raspberry Pi case commercially for less than the cost of making the SqueezeAMP cases myself in bulk, and the Pi case seller must be making a profit.

I've tweaked the design again so that the nuts and bolts can be pre-assembled through the end plates, so that there's no danger of the nuts dropping inside the case. I'll get another test cut of all the variously-sized parts done, and when I'm happy I'll post the DXF files.
    I found the following reference in the 3dhubs forums: https://make.ponoko.com/

I might try their services when the DXF files get published. Will the files also contain the logo/engraving?
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!