Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    I found the following reference in the 3dhubs forums: https://make.ponoko.com/

I might try their services when the DXF files get published. Will the files also contain the logo/engraving?
    I had looked at ponoko before, but didn't pursue it because they're not in the UK. But they do look like a good service, with good prices. Shipping and handling killed it for me though.

I'm intending that the logo will be on the front and back pieces - probably in reverse, so that the pieces are smooth on the outside. I've found a local place that seems to offer better prices. I've also found an online place that has 2mm black extruded acrylic that they claim will cut and engrave cleanly. Obviously any engraving would have to be on the outside with an opaque material. I'm curious what sort of interest there'd be in opaque black versus clear transparent.

I want to have my latest (final?) design tested before committing to an order.
    Last edited by chill; 2019-11-13 at 01:01.

I would be interested in opaque black
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I want to have my latest (final?) design tested before committing to an order.
    I'm willing to play guinea pig and put a test order with a WIP design if that can help. I'm curious to see how expensive these could be, when ordered from Canada.

As for cost reduction and preparation, here are some hints from the Ponoko "How should I prepare". I'll leave them here for the record in case it helps someone.

• Use one color per type of operation. They have 3: Cutting, engraving and area engraving. There's no standard; color to operation assignment is done at upload time.
    • Engravings shoud not have a width less than 1mm or so
    • Try to mimize line overlaps (they consume more laser time, so they are more expensive to make)
    • Try not to segment straight lines (multiple small segments cost more than a straight line of the same length)
    Last edited by sle118; 2019-11-13 at 07:00.
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!

Those tips are similar to others that I've seen, but I think there's a certain amount of tailoring that is needed for the different services. Some services suggest sharing edges between pieces, to reduce cutting time, and some suggest that when sharing edges care should be taken not have lines on top of each other. The local place that I'm talking to prefers me not to share edges.

I did upload a file to ponoko that met their basic requirements for using colour to differentiate between cutting, line engraving and area engraving. I used a single sheet that had enough pieces for one basic box, one battery box, a few spare lids of different designs, some sides with different bolt lengths, and area engraved end pieces. It all fitted easily within an A4 sheet. The quote for a single sheet was a very reasonable $3-$4, but by the time I'd added handling and shipping it was about 10 times that.

I'm hoping to get that test cut done at work tomorrow, after which I'll be able to settle on the best bolt length, and will be happy to share a sample DXF. My plan for an order of greater quantities is to make up layouts that have multiple copies of a few of the individual components, so that those layouts can be ordered in proportion to the likely requests for different types of box ('basic' or 'battery' etc). But those layouts will use specific sheet sizes, which will depend on the supplier. Ponoko seems to cope with any sheet size - it seems like the area is the major cost factor.

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    The idea is to have one thin w/o battery and one thick w/ battery. Then you could choose what battery you want for the tall box. On the thin box, battery connector will be on the side if you want to use one later (outside)

And I agree @chill is making an amazing work. It’s giving the missing touch to the project

I’m hoping to receive the batch in one or two weeks now and with the OTA ready and the boxes, it looks really cool. I hope I’ll have enough people interested by the first batch of 30 (again, no margin, just at cost)
    Sounds great!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not much progress with my (hopefully) final test iteration this week. The laser cutting machine (and the nice fella that has been helping me) were fully occupied with 'proper' work (tsk), so my test will have to wait until Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I would be interested in opaque black
    In the meantime, for quotation purposes I sent a test file to the online service that claims to be able to laser cut 2mm extruded acrylic. Because he could tell I was unsure about using extruded acrylic, he very kindly did me a test cut and sent me a photo. I don't have the piece in my hands - I'm only going on the photo he sent me - but I have to say that I'm not convinced by the result:

Ignoring the fact that a couple of the tab holes were missed (easily fixed I believe), there's an obvious halo around every cut, which seems like it might be a flame scorch mark, and may not clean up. I suspect this is a consequence of using extruded acrylic rather than the cast acrylic that is recommended for laser cutting. In addition, the engraving does not look good in my opinion - I had hoped it would have a higher contrast (grey or white), which is what I believe it will look like on clear acrylic. Maybe a vector outline logo would look better on the black.

I'll ask him to post the sample to me, but I'm not too hopeful.

The helpful lad on the laser cutter was kind enough to do me one more test cut. I took the opportunity to try out a couple of options, so that I can finalise the design. I think I'm there now.

The main thing was to settle on a bolt/slot length and the location of the nut. With an M2x10mm bolt, and slightly oversize holes in the end plates, there's enough wiggle room to allow the nuts to be wound onto the bolts first, manoeuvred into the slots in the sides, then tightened up. This means there's no risk of the nuts dropping inside the box during assembly.

Clearly the box on the left is the basic PCB-only version, which has been made as small as possible. The one on the right is designed to hold a cell pack below the PCB, and has a couple of mm extra space above the PCB to allow the battery connector to fit into the socket without pinching the wires.

The other thing I wanted to try was a couple of variations in the logo. The first photo shows 'raster' engraving (i.e. filled letters) on the inside face on the left, and 'vector' engraving (i.e. letter outlines) on the outside on the right.

The second photo shows them swapped: vector on the left, raster on the right.

Keep in mind that this isn't the right type of acrylic (extruded) to make the best job of the engraving. Cast acrylic will apparently make it whiter. I think I prefer the vector outlines personally, because the 'squeeze' and the 'amp' are better differentiated, but I'm open to persuasion. I could of course arrange for the vector engraving to be done in reverse on the inside face for the final version.

The final photo shows the slot in the lid to allow a TTL adapter to be connected for re-programming purposes. I understand that TTL re-programming will very rarely be required because the software is approaching a finalised state where over-the-air programming will be all that's required, so I'm not sure this needs to remain in the lid. The same goes for the holes (obscured in the photo by the ribbon cable) for the little on/off slide switch, since not everyone will want to fit such a switch. It's useful for a device that's solely battery powered, since the current draw can be reduced to virtually nothing, so maybe the switch mounting holes should be retained for the battery version.

The last addition in these versions is the little feet below the corners of the end plates. These are to create a small air gap, so that the honeycomb holes in the base and in the lid will work together to cool the device by convection.

The last addition in these versions is the little feet below the corners of the end plates. These are to create a small air gap, so that the honeycomb holes in the base and in the lid will work together to cool the device by convection.
    Nice touch on the feet and honeycomb.

Is there a way to get higher resolution images from the forum post? I tried zooming the browser page, but I get too much pixellization to appreciate the difference between raster and vectors.
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    Is there a way to get higher resolution images from the forum post? I tried zooming the browser page, but I get too much pixellization to appreciate the difference between raster and vectors.
    Here's a full resolution crop:

Here's a full resolution crop:
    Tough choice, but I think I prefer the vector graphics; they look sharp and I like that.
    SqueezeAmp!