Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Here's a 1mm taller lid (so 0.5mm less than the last one), this time *without* the gap for the battery connector. I'll post the consolidated zips later.

I've enjoyed doing these, and will do my best to support tweaks and improvements. Very pleased for them to be added to the Github project.
    All cases are now on GitHub https://github.com/philippe44/SqueezeAMP and there is a nice embedded 3D viewer
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    All cases are now on GitHub https://github.com/philippe44/SqueezeAMP and there is a nice embedded 3D viewer
    That is a nice viewer. Thanks Philippe.

SqueezeAMP boxes

That is a nice viewer. Thanks Philippe.
    And I will add the credits tomorrow of course. Can you tell me what you want in term of COPYRIGHT file in the directory?
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2019-10-15 at 07:34.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Discussion continued from the main SqueezeAMP/SqueezeESP32 thread.

At Philippe's suggestion I've attempted to make a box that can be cut from flat acrylic sheet and snapped together. This type of box should be much cheaper to produce than a professionally printed 3D-printed box.

I've started with the bare PCB box, and will add a chamber below for a 2x18500 or 3x18350 cell pack once I know this is going to work.

I don't have facilities to laser cut acrylic sheet, so I've been testing the design by printing out mock-ups on my 3D printer. Raspberry Pi cases that use this approach tend to use 3mm acrylic, but this is such a small box that I think 2mm acrylic will be suitable.

The PCB seems to be well supported using just the toslink and 3.5mm sockets, so I don't think any additional supports will be needed. And it means the PCB can be suspended above the battery chamber. I still want to add (subtract?) a couple more holes, for a side battery connector in the basic box, and to provide access to the IO pins. The 3D printer gives a rough idea, but at this small scale mine isn't accurate enough to check the fit of the interlocking parts, so I don't think there's any alternative to having some samples professionally made in acrylic.

One point that isn't ideal with this case is access to the speaker terminals. With the hole as shown in the photos the speaker wires would have to be passed through the hole in the end of the case and screwed in before the case is assembled. The only alternative I can see is to extend the hole to the upper or lower edge of the end piece, but I don't really like that approach.

Wait - a hole in the lid could provide access to the speaker terminal screws of course!

Comparison with the 3D printed version.

Last edited by chill; 2019-10-23 at 16:07.

Holes made for battery, access to speaker terminal screws, and access to J3 pins and J6.

I'll do another test print this evening, then I'll look for a local place that can cut these from 2mm acrylic.

I'm reasonably confident now that the various holes are all in the right place, and that the pieces might all snap together and hold the PCB in place.

So I've made a DXF with the outlines, and I've found a local place that can laser cut acrylic from a DXF. Just waiting on a price from him. My plan is to make sure the design works as intended, and then either just post the DXF for others to use or have a batch made by this local place (or both!). I also want to make a version without the battery side connector but with a chamber below the PCB to take a cell pack. Not sure what to do about a fan mount. With the PCB this way up the fan would have to be on the underside. Maybe I should flip the PCB over again (like the 3D printed boxes) and mount the fan on top, but then we'd lose access to the speaker terminal screws and the IO pins for the battery chamber version.

By adding extra 'feet' to the end pieces, the box could go either way up.

I could make a new top piece (was the bottom piece) to take a fan, rather than the simple rectangular vent. That would solve the fan issue for the basic box. But for the battery box, to have the choice of putting the PCB either way up above the batteries would require two sets of side and front pieces.

These are really small pieces though, so it would be feasible to make a complete set that has all these options, and it would probably still fit easily onto one sheet of A4 acrylic. I'll see what the laser cutting place says about prices.

Basic Box:
    - Front
    - Back
    - Left (with battery connector side entry)
    - Right
    - Top x2 (with and without access to speaker terminals and IO pins)
    - Bottom x2 (vent and fan)

Battery Box (uses same Top and Bottom pieces):
    - Front x2
    - Back
    - Left x2 (without battery connector side entry)
    - Right x2

Total = 15 pieces, to give options for:
    - Basic box or battery box (space for 2x18500 or 3x18350 cell pack)
    - PCB either way up
    - with or without fan
    Last edited by chill; 2019-10-25 at 00:17.

By adding extra 'feet' to the end pieces, the box could go either way up.

I could make a new top piece (was the bottom piece) to take a fan, rather than the simple rectangular vent. That would solve the fan issue for the basic box. But for the battery box, to have the choice of putting the PCB either way up above the batteries would require two sets of side and front pieces.

These are really small pieces though, so it would be feasible to make a complete set that has all these options, and it would probably still fit easily onto one sheet of A4 acrylic. I'll see what the laser cutting place says about prices.

Basic Box:
    - Front
    - Back
    - Left (with battery connector side entry)
    - Right
    - Top x2 (with and without access to speaker terminals and IO pins)
    - Bottom x2 (vent and fan)

Battery Box (uses same Top and Bottom pieces):
    - Front x2
    - Back
    - Left x2 (without battery connector side entry)
    - Right x2

Total = 15 pieces, to give options for:
    - Basic box or battery box (space for 2x18500 or 3x18350 cell pack)
    - PCB either way up
    - with or without fan
    This looks excellent. Iím not sure now that we really need the fan option. Letís see what people say with the first batch, but the heat sink (or even nothing) might be good enough

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    This looks excellent. Iím not sure now that we really need the fan option. Letís see what people say with the first batch, but the heat sink (or even nothing) might be good enough
    Understood - that would be good. But it would only save one piece, so 14 instead of 15 pieces. I've done a quick layout showing an A4 sheet with the 14 pieces placed very roughly. It shows that they'd easily fit. For bigger sheets I'd take care to pack them as efficiently as possible.

Acrylic doesn't seem to come in the standard 'A' sheets, but 300mm x 200mm seems standard, and is very close to A4.

I've found a place at work that will do a test cut for me free of charge provided I can supply the material. And I've found a local plastic supplier who have given me some offcuts, again free of charge. So early next week I'll try and get the above sheet cut out to test the fitment.

I had a go at 'virtually' assembling the various options for the battery box, just to make sure I've got all the options covered. I'd missed an option for one piece (a plain top/base), and I've now also added a top to suit a 30mm fan. There's still a bit of space left on an A4 sheet.

The battery box versions won't hold the cells in place, or provide wired terminals, but should have room for a pre-assembled pack of 2x18500 or 3x18350 cells.