Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    Tough choice, but I think I prefer the vector graphics; they look sharp and I like that.
    It's very difficult to show the differences in a photo, but studying these close up I think the raster looks better for the 'squeeze' part (it puts a vector outline around it anyway, but I think these small letters look better when filled as well), whereas vector looks better for the 'amp' part (I agree that the bold face letters look less sharp when filled). The logo is rather small, so the differences are subtle at most, but I think I'll go for a combination.

I just need to make some final layouts now with parts in the appropriate ratios (battery box : basic box) for the expected requests.

I've had a batch of boxes made by a local company. On the whole I'm very pleased with how they've come out, but the company made a few errors, so I'll need to go back to have a few bits re-made. It's amazing how different the requirements are between different companies. This company told me he could cut from sheets up to 300mm x 400mm so I spent ages arranging the different pieces onto layouts to suit those sheet sizes, to squeeze in as many sets as possible. On picking them up today I've found out that he's picked the pieces off my layouts one-by-one and cut them in batches! And worse, he's done the engraving in a separate step after they've been cut, because he prefers to leave the protective film on while cutting (to prevent scorch marks) but removes it for the engraving. He now tells me it would have been better simply to give him one drawing of each piece and tell him how many copies I needed. I'll know for next time!

So he's made a couple of mistakes, relating to the etching and to the number of each piece that he assumed were on my layouts. I'll go back to him and hopefully get the mistakes put right on Monday. Not a day too soon, given that Philippe says the SqueezeAMPs are ready for shipping!

The pieces themselves are really nice. The cast acrylic has indeed cut and etched better than my earlier extruded acrylic.

Here's the basic box. I'm glad I went for filled 'squeeze' and outlined 'amp' - I think it's a nice effect. And the engraving is on the inner face, so the outside of the box is smooth.

The sharp-eyed amongst you might spot the error with the battery box. In years to come these could be valuable!

Goddammit Guys,

I want one of these so badly...

But just do not have a use for one!

What's the price on the boxes Chill? (Apologies if you've already stated, but I've not seen it mentioned yet).

Kev

PS Superb job on the cases, I've quite enjoyed sharing your journey through their development.

Kev

At the risk of committing Philippe to something he wasn't intending, I believe that he plans to include one of these boxes at no extra charge for this batch of SqueezeAMPs. I'm sure he'll correct me if that's not the case.

The guy at the local plastics company has worked hard to get my job done quickly, but unfortunately another 'slip of the mouse' has meant that the logo on the basic box now has the 'amp' part filled, rather than outlined. This job seems to have really hassled him, for some reason, and I didn't have the heart to ask him to do them again! So by 'force majeure' that's how this first batch will look! And actually, having seen this on the proper cast acrylic I'm now not so sure which version I prefer - this filled version looks much cleaner than it did on my earlier 'extruded' test pieces.

The taller battery box will still have the outlined version (don't ask!), and the logo will be the right way up :-)

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    The guy at the local plastics company has worked hard to get my job done quickly, but unfortunately another 'slip of the mouse' has meant that the logo on the basic box now has the 'amp' part filled, rather than outlined. This job seems to have really hassled him, for some reason, and I didn't have the heart to ask him to do them again! So by 'force majeure' that's how this first batch will look! And actually, having seen this on the proper cast acrylic I'm now not so sure which version I prefer - this filled version looks much cleaner than it did on my earlier 'extruded' test pieces.

The taller battery box will still have the outlined version (don't ask!), and the logo will be the right way up :-)
    Collectors items!
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b7 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

SqueezeAMP boxes

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post

I think it looks super nice like that as well
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2019-12-03 at 15:31.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Without sounding too picky, I'd have to change the bolts...

Most likely these type as I have some available...

Name:  hexbolt1.jpeg
Views: 89
Size:  31.8 KB

or maybe these...

Name:  hexbolt2.jpeg
Views: 90
Size:  27.4 KB

Both a bit classier I think than standard cross head.

Kev

Customisations are welcomed! You'll need M2x10.

Can I say how much I have enjoyed this thread? Combining the scope of 'War and Peace', the subtlety of 'Anna Karenina' with the suspense and tension of 'Breaking Bad' my attention has been riveted from beginning to near the end. This is going to leave a huge gap in my life. Absolutely no sarcasm intended here, it is such a pleasure to read about a design job being done in a competent way with the cheerful incorporation of suggestions from the floor. I understand a vacancy has arisen for Prime Minister in our tin pot little country should you be interested in applying?

Sincere thanks for a job well done and a gripping tale!

Regards
    Jerry