Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    There's a darwin-x86_64 folder, too. This should provide most 64 bit
    binaries.
    Michael
    That's odd - I just reinstalled LMS version 7.7.6 and didn't get a darwin-x86_64 folder. Hmmm. What's the full path of your 64-bit folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Mc View Post
    Exporting ~10,000 things works great. My library has over 40,000 songs, and trying to export that caused Music to immediately return (after choosing the file name), but without exporting anything. I sense a limit of 32,768 - maybe a signed 16-bit number somewhere?
    Thankfully my library is under 10,000 songs. Is there other issues with the Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 1568726655 build with MasOS 10.15?

LMS on MacOS 10.15 "Catalina"?

> That's odd - I just reinstalled LMS version 7.7.6 and didn't get a
    > darwin-x86_64 folder. Hmmm. What's the full path of your 64-bit folder?

That's correct, it's not part of 7.7.6. I should probably update 7.7.7.

But then I'd recommend to use 7.9 anyway :-).

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.9

--

Michael

LMS on MacOS 10.15 "Catalina"?

> That's correct, it's not part of 7.7.6. I should probably update 7.7.7.

I backported the changes from 7.9 to 7.7.7. Feel free to give this a try
    if you don't feel like taking the step up to 7.9.

--

Michael

LMS doesn't like Catalina

LMS does not work properly in Catalina.

After I have not scanned for two days and have not changed anything on the system, the files are suddenly no longer accessible. Re-scanning LMS does not allow. After I restart the MacBook, LMS indicates that the library is empty. Everything must be scanned again.

Can this problem be remedied with a setting in Catalina or with an update in LMS 7.9.2?
    Last edited by Delahaye; 2019-10-18 at 22:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Mc View Post
    Exporting ~10,000 things works great. My library has over 40,000 songs, and trying to export that caused Music to immediately return (after choosing the file name), but without exporting anything. I sense a limit of 32,768 - maybe a signed 16-bit number somewhere?
    Out of curiosity I just tested this, and it is incorrect. More than 32,768 songs is not a problem in itself, so your issue must be something else. I have more than 43,000 songs in my library, and they export to xml just fine from the Music app in Catalina. Export results in a file of about 65MB, which is similar in size to the automatically generated xml-file from iTunes for the same library. (That they are not the exact same size is probably because the path-strings for each file in the xml is of different length between my Mojava and Catalina install).

I still wouldn't recommend running LMS on Catalina yet. And the Music app does not have the functionality I want for organizing my music. I dislike the lack of the "Column browser" a lot.

Feel Your Pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_E View Post
    I've searched the forum for terms like "iTunes", "MacOS", and "Catalina", but can't seem to find anything about this - as of the forthcoming release of MacOS 10.15 "Catalina", Apple's going to be dispensing with iTunes, replacing it with a "Music" app modeled after the one in iOS.

Has anyone been trying this out in the beta of Catalina? Does it mess with the way LMS has been interacting with iTunes for years (scanning files organized by iTunes, and reading iTunes playlists)? I've been using iTunes as a way to rip and organize my library of music for a decade or so, then using LMS to serve it to various Squeezebox devices around the house, and if that's all going to break with OS 10.15 I may have to think long and hard about having a separate iTunes & LMS server. Or I might finally bite the bullet and switch to a Sonos system, but that's major chunk of change, esp. given the number of Squeezeboxen I have.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can share their experiences.
    Read and reread this thread over the past 3 days, nothing I tried was working.
    Never got any alerts from Security to be able to allow Full Disc Access for 'perl' or 'sh' or anything else past allowing the Installer.
    So, on a whim, I gave System Preferences Full Disc Access.
    Uninstalled LMS
    Reinstalled LMS
    Then hit Rescan ‘Look for New and Changed Media’.
    So far so good!

(I kick myself for not checking on this before jumping to Catalina - never again! eediot! )

Quote Originally Posted by aka View Post
    Read and reread this thread over the past 3 days, nothing I tried was working.
    Never got any alerts from Security to be able to allow Full Disc Access for 'perl' or 'sh' or anything else past allowing the Installer.
    So, on a whim, I gave System Preferences Full Disc Access.
    Uninstalled LMS
    Reinstalled LMS
    Then hit Rescan ‘Look for New and Changed Media’.
    So far so good!

(I kick myself for not checking on this before jumping to Catalina - never again! eediot! )

I think the biggest migration issue with Catalina involves these elevated permissions.

Once the right permissions are given, LMS runs very smoothly under it -- and seems to keep running well thereafter.

Since getting things straight under Catalina, I've installed some subsequent nightly beta updates (thank you Michael!). No problems whatsoever.

So it looks like a once-and-done process to work out those permissions. Sorry to hear you had to struggle with it.

Giving System Preferences generally full disk access is probably a bigger security opening than you need. But if it works, who's to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Delahaye View Post
    LMS does not work properly in Catalina.

After I have not scanned for two days and have not changed anything on the system, the files are suddenly no longer accessible. Re-scanning LMS does not allow. After I restart the MacBook, LMS indicates that the library is empty. Everything must be scanned again.

Can this problem be remedied with a setting in Catalina or with an update in LMS 7.9.2?
    See my above thread entries. I experienced the exact same behavior.

It's a continuing permissions issue with Catalina. I'm not sure it can be fixed with an LMS revision. But a revised Terminal script app might do it.

You need to go into System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Full Disk Access, and allow certain LMS subroutines Full Disk Access as a permanent setting.

The two I identified as they ghost appeared in the FDA pane were "sh" and "perl". But others are apparently having problems seeing them pop up in the running FDA pane. That behavior I cannot explain.

The good news is once the correct FDA permission is given, you never have to do it again, and LMS starts and re-starts and runs with no further issues.

Catalina is by far my worst experience with Mac OS. This issue alone has resulted in my moving LMS over to a Raspberry Pi solution running the Max2Play software(LMS and Squeezelite in one box). Even after that, Disk Utility in Catalina destroyed a perfectly good micro SD Card on format and I've now regressed to Mojave just to have full functionality of my iMac. Ridiculous. On the other hand, The Raspberry Pi solution is pretty decent. Theres some latency issues while a hard drive spins up before an initial selection plays but other than that it's doable. The biggest issue is running two libraries and getting new music onto the LMS installation via network. It'll do for now. The Max2Play software(free) is new to me and I much prefer it to DietPi. Once you find the IP address you can log in and set it up remotely(super nice).