Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast
    Amazon recently fixed the progressive response bug so interim spoken responses while lengthy processes are running is again possible.

The ListPlaylists intent should now correctly handle not only Spotify but also Tidal, Deezer and Qobuz playlists.

I saw in the logs that somebody Stateside tried using an Echo as a player in a sync group (which is unsupported because of uncontrollable latencies). There's now a new error message to explain this specifically.

Looks promising..

I finally got around to trying this out on piCorePlayer and LMS. A couple of notes:

1. The install script wizard worked as expected, but the downloaded file was named setup.txt, not setup.sh. A quick rename fixed that and I was able to get the tunnel running.
    2. The account linking section on the webpage for setup threw the following dialog box:
      Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 1.36.57 PM.png
Views: 117
Size:  25.1 KB
    3. Even though I had just downloaded the file in another tab on Chrome (running on a Mac). I was able to find the manual account linking process after hunting around on the website.
    4. I wanted to try it out, but I just realized that a subscription is required for ANY of the play commands. This seems a bit restrictive - I can certainly appreciate the need to monetize your efforts, but I am always hesitant to sign up for services until I am convinced I really want them. Perhaps a built-in trial period with the premium commands enabled (and which expire after X days) would help with testing and uptake?

Cheers!

ôIt's free to evaluate for 7 days for first-time subscribers, thereafter costing $2.99 or ú2.99 (ex. taxes) per month. There's no minimum contract and you can cancel at any time using just your voice. ô

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by wtnh View Post
    I finally got around to trying this out on piCorePlayer and LMS. A couple of notes:

1. The install script wizard worked as expected, but the downloaded file was named setup.txt, not setup.sh. A quick rename fixed that and I was able to get the tunnel running.
    2. The account linking section on the webpage for setup threw the following dialog box:
      Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 1.36.57 PM.png
Views: 117
Size:  25.1 KB
    3. Even though I had just downloaded the file in another tab on Chrome (running on a Mac). I was able to find the manual account linking process after hunting around on the website.
    4. I wanted to try it out, but I just realized that a subscription is required for ANY of the play commands. This seems a bit restrictive - I can certainly appreciate the need to monetize your efforts, but I am always hesitant to sign up for services until I am convinced I really want them. Perhaps a built-in trial period with the premium commands enabled (and which expire after X days) would help with testing and uptake?

Cheers!
    Your browser or antivirus renamed the file from setup.sh to setup.txt before saving it "to protect you". What browser and platform did you use? Chrome on Mac? Would be a first... Usually it's just an "are you sure?" popup.
    The smartskills.tech webpage uses localStorage which is not shared across tabs so that's why one tab was unaware of what you had done in the other tab. Blame browser security for that.
    The subscription is there because I have to pay hosting fees to both Amazon and my ISP. While I don't mind doing all the dev work for free, I'm not subsidizing this with actual out-of-pocket expenses.

As Paul mentioned in the previous post (and as post #1 in this thread clearly states, as do the online docs), you can try it for 7-days for free. You can enable it with "Alexa, tell MediaServer I want a subscription".

EDIT: The online docs have been updated to address 1,2,3 above.
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2021-07-22 at 00:52.

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    Your browser or antivirus renamed the file from setup.sh to setup.txt before saving it "to protect you". What browser and platform did you use? Chrome on Mac? Would be a first... Usually it's just an "are you sure?" popup.
    The smartskills.tech webpage uses localStorage which is not shared across tabs so that's why one tab was unaware of what you had done in the other tab. Blame browser security for that.
    The subscription is there because I have to pay hosting fees to both Amazon and my ISP. While I don't mind doing all the dev work for free, I'm not subsidizing this with actual out-of-pocket expenses.

As Paul mentioned in the previous post (and as post #1 in this thread clearly states, as do the online docs), you can try it for 7-days for free. You can enable it with "Alexa, tell MediaServer I want a subscription".

EDIT: The online docs have been updated to address 1,2,3 above.
    OK - no problem with a subscription to cover your costs (I run several websites and forums that nobody seems to be interested in chipping in for, so feel your pain. ).

I use Chrome on a Macbook Pro. Chrome is showing Version 91.0.4472.114 (I think the latest). Mac is running Big Sur V11.4. I also have Avast and Malwarebytes running, but I did not get a pop-up when I did the download. I am guessing one of them silently renamed the file. I can poke around to see what did that (I am guessing MacOS).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wtnh

I use Chrome on a Macbook Pro. Chrome is showing Version 91.0.4472.114 (I think the latest). Mac is running Big Sur V11.4. I also have Avast and Malwarebytes running, but I did not get a pop-up when I did the download. I am guessing one of them silently renamed the file. I can poke around to see what did that (I am guessing MacOS).

Thanks
    I just tried it myself on a 2019 Mac running Big Sur, both in Chrome and in Safari. Both browsers downloaded it as intended as setup.sh (Chrome gave a warning in the bottom left corner of the screen, Safari gave a popup, but neither changed the file name). So it's probably the virusscanner that did it (there's none on this Mac).

Ya gotta love assuming automatically that any executable file somebody wants to download must be a virus. Also cannot email .sh or .pwsh files via Outlook

APL updates

Amazon just extended APL with the ability to handle inline styles via <span> (like in HTML). The Help screen for MediaServer is therefore now more colorful and uses more font sizes to be more easily readable. On an Echo with a screen, just say "Alexa, ask MediaServer for help". If you're already in a skill session and she asks "anything else?" then just "help" on its own is sufficient.

Name:  HelpScreen.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  34.3 KB
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2021-07-24 at 02:02.

For people who prefer minimal setup instructions without explanations, there's now https://mediaserver.smartskills.tech/minimal.html.