Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 93 of 95 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    I've noticed in the last few days that the skill returns an Amazon service error for so-called progressive responses. When you try to play a genre with a huge number of tracks (>10,000) the skill say "patience please" to fill the silence while LMS builds the playlist. It always worked 100% and there have been no code changes of late on my part. I've filed a case with Amazon but I'm curious if anybody else has seen this (it might be specific to my account for some reason)?

To see if you can trigger it, say "Alexa, tell MediaServer to play some <genre>" where <genre> is one you have thousands of matches for in your library.
    "Alexa, ask mediaserver to play some Blues" (>200 albums in that genre), returns "Amazon reports a service error, the skill is not allowed to send directives at the moment".

"Alexa, ask mediaserver to play some Jazz" (less than 50 albums in that genre), works fine.

Is that the same thing?
    Last edited by staresy; 2021-04-13 at 01:09.
    Location 1: LMS 8.2 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.0 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

Quote Originally Posted by staresy View Post
    "Alexa, ask mediaserver to play some Blues" (>200 albums in that genre), returns "Amazon reports a service error, the skill is not allowed to send directives at the moment".

"Alexa, ask mediaserver to play some Jazz" (less than 50 albums in that genre), works fine.

Is that the same thing?
    Thanks. Yes that's it, so it's not just me.

The progressive responses are just a nicety really, so I can disable them for now until Amazon comes with a fix. Should be live in an hour.

Amazon seems to have a problem at the moment in their cloud function for returning artist/recording names to the skill when parsing your spoken request. I'm getting values like 'air liquide' returned when I ask for 'Madonna'. I'm also getting an array of values for what should always be a single value. It's not the skill's fault so I can't fix anything - we'll just have to wait for Amazon to fix this.

Amazon has not yet responded to the case I filed about this. In the meanwhile, I've modifed the request interceptor to fix the incorrect array instead of scalar for values of AMAZON.MusicAlbum (Album, Compilation, Single), AMAZON.MusicGroup: (Artist), and AMAZON.MusicRecording (Title).

However, I'm still seeing completely wrong returns - if I ask for Steve Winwood, Alexa returns 'The Latin Crossings', Eric Prydz becomes 'Basmala'

Anybody else asking for e.g. Bob Dylan getting something, er, else ? It might just be broken on a particular Amazon server rather than the whole farm...

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    Amazon has not yet responded to the case I filed about this. In the meanwhile, I've modifed the request interceptor to fix the incorrect array instead of scalar for values of AMAZON.MusicAlbum (Album, Compilation, Single), AMAZON.MusicGroup: (Artist), and AMAZON.MusicRecording (Title).

However, I'm still seeing completely wrong returns - if I ask for Steve Winwood, Alexa returns 'The Latin Crossings', Eric Prydz becomes 'Basmala'

Anybody else asking for e.g. Bob Dylan getting something, er, else ? It might just be broken on a particular Amazon server rather than the whole farm...
    Phil,
    All working fine here, just tried "Alexa, ask Mediaserver to play something by...

Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, Bob Pearce, Tarrus Riley

All worked fine here in the UK.
    Location 1: LMS 8.2 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.0 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

Quote Originally Posted by staresy View Post
    Phil,
    All working fine here, just tried "Alexa, ask Mediaserver to play something by...

Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, Bob Pearce, Tarrus Riley

All worked fine here in the UK.
    Thanks Steve. Good that you are unaffected but that might make actually it more difficult for Amazon to pinpoint, unfortunately. I can also see that you are not getting the doubled returns in array form like I get ['Snow Patrol', 'Snow Patrol'] - you are getting the correct scalar single-entry return "Snow Patrol".

I've noticed that Snow Patrol or The Corrs return fine for me. But Bob Seger returns "The Bob Seger System" and if I ask for just Huey Lewis the full 'Huey Lewis and The News' is returned. That's a "feature" that I don't use as I just want the "bare" utterance for use in searching LMS. But now the augmented value is finding its way into the basic {slot}. Somebody at Amazon patched a server somewhere with the wrong file...

Amazon were able to reproduce the issue so it's now being worked on.

EDIT: They suggested a workaround which I have implemented until a permanent solution is available. All seems fine now.
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2021-05-06 at 05:43.

How do I start playback on the echo device itself? I was under the impression this is possible, but couldn't figure out how to do that through the skill. Thanks!

With the MediaServer skill use the "Stream" command

See lots of examples in the documentation section "Play Music on Echo (Stream)"
    https://mediaserver.smartskills.tech...ml#section-4-0
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    With the MediaServer skill use the "Stream" command

See lots of examples in the documentation section "Play Music on Echo (Stream)"
    https://mediaserver.smartskills.tech...ml#section-4-0
    Thank you! Is there a simple stream command that just plays something, anything, from my library? Everything I tried seems to say I need a subscription.