Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 82 of 90 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 820 of 891
  1. #811
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK/London
    Posts
    3,643
    I'm pretty sure I had ngrok auto-running and updating on pCP - i think it is why I was using the Perl updater (because Perl was on the pCP machine to run LMS).
    I don't have that set-up now though.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

  2. #812
    Member wtnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    US - East Coast
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post

    You do know that ngrok can run on any machine in your LAN and point towards LMS on pCP ? Any Windows, Mac or Linux box can proxy over to that pi for you.
    Yes - unfortunately, my home network setup no longer has an "always-on" network server (we now just use laptops and my old Windows deskside machine is usually asleep).

    I may build one from an unused Pi since it could serve other purposes as well, but other projects are priorities right now. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

  3. #813
    Senior Member philchillbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    575
    The instructions for setting up the skill have been refreshed with a new look and feel. Here's an example:

    Name:  example.png
Views: 62
Size:  22.5 KB

    Hope it's deemed an improvement by all

    Also, some people with slow hardware and/or poor internet speeds have been triggering unhandled timeouts lately - this should now error out more gracefully when it happens.

  4. #814
    Senior Member chill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    1,984
    I have a 4th Gen Echo Dot on the way, specifically so that I can try out this skill - I'm looking forward to having a bit more voice control over LMS than I get through Siri by having iPeng running.

    I've been running through the ngrok setup on a pCP device in preparation for the Dot arriving. So far so good. I now want to automate the updating process, using the Python or Perl scripts on the setup page, but unfortunately the links don't seem to work:
    Python: https://mediaserver.smartskills.tech...ads/updater.py
    Perl: https://mediaserver.smartskills.tech...ads/updater.pl

    I did do a bit of a search on this thread, but it's a long thread and 'updater.py' generates a lot of hits! Is there somewhere else to get these scripts?

  5. #815
    Senior Member philchillbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I have a 4th Gen Echo Dot on the way, specifically so that I can try out this skill - I'm looking forward to having a bit more voice control over LMS than I get through Siri by having iPeng running.

    I've been running through the ngrok setup on a pCP device in preparation for the Dot arriving. So far so good. I now want to automate the updating process, using the Python or Perl scripts on the setup page, but unfortunately the links don't seem to work:
    Python: https://mediaserver.smartskills.tech...ads/updater.py
    Perl: https://mediaserver.smartskills.tech...ads/updater.pl

    I did do a bit of a search on this thread, but it's a long thread and 'updater.py' generates a lot of hits! Is there somewhere else to get these scripts?
    I’m not home now but will check in 30 mins why they disappeared.

    EDIT: Fixed. An issue with relative vs absolute paths. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2021-01-26 at 09:24.

  6. #816
    Senior Member chill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    EDIT: Fixed. An issue with relative vs absolute paths. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Great, thanks.

  7. #817
    Senior Member philchillbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by chill;
    Great, thanks.
    If you note any specifics for pCP that are different to a normal Debian install, I'd appreciate a summary so it can be added to the docs.

  8. #818
    Senior Member chill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    If you note any specifics for pCP that are different to a normal Debian install, I'd appreciate a summary so it can be added to the docs.
    I'm still hacking my way around to get a feel for what needs to be done to get it working and then redone after a reboot. So far I have it set up such that pCP runs a script at startup (via the built-in 'User Command's' tweak) e.g. /home/tc/.ngrok2/ngrok_startup.sh, which starts ngrok and then finds the URL via that curl command. grep in Busybox doesn't have the -P option, but I can get to the url with a bit of awking:
    Code:
    curl -s http://localhost:4040/api/tunnels | awk -F"https:// {'print $2'} | awk -F" {'print $1'}
    I haven't attempted to make it a service, because this User Command script seems sufficient - I can run the script manually if I ever need to run it without a reboot, but since this RPi3 is currently dedicated to ngrok only, a reboot is fine.

    I haven't got the python script working yet - it's failing at 'import requests' and I can't see whether that, or json or urllib.parse, are included in any of the python packages that are available for pCP. To be investigated later if necessary.

    I have installed the Alexa app on my iPhone and MediaServer is one of 'my' skills, and seems to have linked successfully, but since I don't have a device yet I can't test it any further. And I also can't tell what the final step of the python script should be doing, once it's recovered the url. Maybe I can do that too with simple shell scripting, but I need to find out what the python would do first.

  9. #819
    Senior Member philchillbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I'm still hacking my way around to get a feel for what needs to be done to get it working and then redone after a reboot. So far I have it set up such that pCP runs a script at startup (via the built-in 'User Command's' tweak) e.g. /home/tc/.ngrok2/ngrok_startup.sh, which starts ngrok and then finds the URL via that curl command. grep in Busybox doesn't have the -P option, but I can get to the url with a bit of awking:
    Code:
    curl -s http://localhost:4040/api/tunnels | awk -F"https:// {'print $2'} | awk -F" {'print $1'}
    I haven't attempted to make it a service, because this User Command script seems sufficient - I can run the script manually if I ever need to run it without a reboot, but since this RPi3 is currently dedicated to ngrok only, a reboot is fine.

    I haven't got the python script working yet - it's failing at 'import requests' and I can't see whether that, or json or urllib.parse, are included in any of the python packages that are available for pCP. To be investigated later if necessary.

    I have installed the Alexa app on my iPhone and MediaServer is one of 'my' skills, and seems to have linked successfully, but since I don't have a device yet I can't test it any further. And I also can't tell what the final step of the python script should be doing, once it's recovered the url. Maybe I can do that too with simple shell scripting, but I need to find out what the python would do first.
    Would the Perl not be easier than Python, given that pCP needs Perl itself? All the script does is a HTTPS GET to a specific url with some url parameters filled out. It can be done from any language. If it helps you at all, I have a tiny sh script that does it too. pCP has sh available.

  10. #820
    Senior Member chill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    Would the Perl not be easier than Python, given that pCP needs Perl itself? All the script does is a HTTPS GET to a specific url with some url parameters filled out. It can be done from any language. If it helps you at all, I have a tiny sh script that does it too. pCP has sh available.
    I've just been trying the perl script. I first installed LMS, so as to get all the associated perl modules, but running updater.pl gives me a similar missing module error:
    Code:
    tc@pCP:~$ perl updater.pl
    Can't locate LWP/UserAgent.pm in @INC (you may need to install the LWP::UserAgent module) (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.32.0/aarch64-linux-thread-multi /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.32.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.32.0/aarch64-linux-thread-multi /usr/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.32.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.32.0/aarch64-linux-thread-multi /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.32.0) at updater.pl line 8.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at updater.pl line 8.
    That tiny sh script would be very useful, thank you. Yes, pCP has sh. I've tried to figure out, from both the python and the perl, what those specific url parameters are for the https get, but haven't managed it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •